• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CONCACAF Gold Cup

tullytra

Reaction score
With the Gold Cup under way as a (semi-) important tournament, I'd like to have a place to discuss it without the normal "The U.S. sucks, they can't compete with top teams, and etcetera" that floats around other places on the net. While these could be true, they are rarely followed by logical reasoning.

Last night's game was mildly disappointing. I was happy to see Altidore get going, granted his goal should've been turned away by the goalie. He's strong and athletic, so I want to see him excel on the international level. My biggest disappointment centered around the crosses. I understand that you sometimes go near-post on corners, but Donovan wasn't even getting them to the box in the air. Other crosses were just off, long or short, and on the rare occasion they were somewhere in the right area no one seemed to go up and get it. Hopefully it gets better as they gel.

Thoughts on the Gold Cup moving forward?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the one thing in my life where i'm an unabashed homer as well as a bandwagon fan is USA soccer. as you can see from my avatar. Its a 2006 don't tread on me special jersey only made for one match that I rarely wear because its actually worth a lot of money. I've had guys break out cash on the spot for it.

that said a win is a win, especially coming off such a bad loss to spain. I'm happy the guys that are supposed to score goals, scored goals.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tullytra
With the Gold Cup under way as a (semi-) important tournament, I'd like to have a place to discuss it without the normal "The U.S. sucks, they can't compete with top teams, and etcetera" that floats around other places on the net. While these could be true, they are rarely followed by logical reasoning.

Last night's game was mildly disappointing. I was happy to see Altidore get going, granted his goal should've been turned away by the goalie. He's strong and athletic, so I want to see him excel on the international level. My biggest disappointment centered around the crosses. I understand that you sometimes go near-post on corners, but Donovan wasn't even getting them to the box in the air. Other crosses were just off, long or short, and on the rare occasion they were somewhere in the right area no one seemed to go up and get it. Hopefully it gets better as they gel.

Thoughts on the Gold Cup moving forward?

No matter how bad the US sucks at soccer, Canada will always suck worse. Always. I think if it came down to it, Canadians will cheer for their native/ancestral country before they cheer for Canada - I know I have a hell of a lot more confidence in KNVB than Canada. Not CONCACAF but still.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
No matter how bad the US sucks at soccer, Canada will always suck worse. Always. I think if it came down to it, Canadians will cheer for their native/ancestral country before they cheer for Canada - I know I have a hell of a lot more confidence in KNVB than Canada. Not CONCACAF but still.

I think that holds true for the United States as well.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't Canada win this thing a few years ago? Not that anybody cared.

tullytra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
No matter how bad the US sucks at soccer, Canada will always suck worse.
I don't necessarily think the U.S. sucks at soccer. I was just saying that's all you get from other message boards on the internet after the U.S. plays, so there isn't ever meaningful discussion of the actual game. What would qualify as a successful Gold Cup? Does it have to be a championship, or would a finals appearance with confidence gained in some players who'll step in for the next World Cup suffice? I lean toward the discovery of apt players with at least a finals appearance, so long as a finals loss isn't to a team other than Mexico. Mexico is honestly the only explainable loss possible. Also, is winning this the only way to get to the Confederations Cup?

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't necessarily think the U.S. sucks at soccer. I was just saying that's all you get from other message boards on the internet after the U.S. plays, so there isn't ever meaningful discussion of the actual game.

What would qualify as a successful Gold Cup? Does it have to be a championship, or would a finals appearance with confidence gained in some players who'll step in for the next World Cup suffice? I lean toward the discovery of apt players with at least a finals appearance, so long as a finals loss isn't to a team other than Mexico. Mexico is honestly the only explainable loss possible. Also, is winning this the only way to get to the Confederations Cup?

Yes (or we could win the World Cup or host the Confed Cup.)

As for this year's competition: With the squad that the US chose, anything less than a berth in the finals is a failure. Even with a less experienced squad, CONCACAF is such a weak region that Mexico is the only team we should not be beating with ease. I expect a Mexico-US final with a narrow US win after that heavy 5-0 defeat last time.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reynard369
Yes (or we could win the World Cup or host the Confed Cup.)

As for this year's competition: With the squad that the US chose, anything less than a berth in the finals is a failure. Even with a less experienced squad, CONCACAF is such a weak region that Mexico is the only team we should not be beating with ease. I expect a Mexico-US final with a narrow US win after that heavy 5-0 defeat last time.

This. No excuse for a non MEX-USA final. Anyone else going to the semifinals in Houston on June 22?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I hate Mexican soccer, but I really like Little Pea. Should have gotten that kid some documentation from Uncle Sam.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I hate Mexican soccer, but I really like Little Pea. Should have gotten that kid some documentation from Uncle Sam.

Wouldn't even need him if we could have convinced Rossi to play for the US instead of Italy.

tullytra

Reaction score
Mexico just lost a few players for doping. http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/new...ayers-gold-cup Dos Santos and Hernandez are still there, so I'm happy about that. I don't want to see the only real competition for the U.S. at less than full strength, but at least their two best players IMO are available. I don't see how they blame bad meat for it. They couldn't have had anything but the best coming from the Stockyards in Dallas/Ft. Worth.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't get to watch the game against Panama, but really??! Gotta do better

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Wut? Panama? We lost to a country named after a hat?!

tullytra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
Didn't get to watch the game against Panama, but really??!

It was a rough one to watch. The U.S. back line in the first half was ridiculous. The second half was quite a bit better on the attack. The crosses were clicking much better than the Canada match, and they had a bunch of chances in the final 25 or so minutes. Wondolowski missed a wide open net on a mini-cross, from Altidore I believe, from maybe 4 yards out. I'll never understand how he hit it so damn high from that close to goal. Panama deserved to win for how they played in the first half, but a draw wouldn't have been unwarranted with how the U.S. attacked.

SD1

Reaction score
It was a rough one to watch. The U.S. back line in the first half was ridiculous. The second half was quite a bit better on the attack. The crosses were clicking much better than the Canada match, and they had a bunch of chances in the final 25 or so minutes. Wondolowski missed a wide open net on a mini-cross, from Altidore I believe, from maybe 4 yards out. I'll never understand how he hit it so damn high from that close to goal. Panama deserved to win for how they played in the first half, but a draw wouldn't have been unwarranted with how the U.S. attacked.

Good analysis on the game. They were asleep at the wheel 1st half.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads