• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did you decide a career?

NeedMoney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
Software Engineering requires little math compared to other technical majors. Most of the time you are just adding 1.

I'll look it up and see what it's about, thanks.

Originally Posted by it's ok ma'
Is it too late to get a vocational degree? Not being a jerk here, just that it sounds like this is what you want (this my day job, but I am really....).

From what it sounds, like above posters said, you sound like you don't care much about effort. Don't expect to find a job right out of college with an accounting degree, especially with this attitude. My cousin majored in accounting in a state school and he tells me it's competitive as hell. Internship positions are few and the elite accounting firms and business management companies only want the best.

I suppose nursing would be the "easiest" but most nursing programs are also now very competitive.

A college degree is not a vocational degree, is pretty much what I should say.

Don't see how it would ever be too late for any degree, but I've already gone through the general required undergraduate courses so I could move into anything within reason.

I don't think I could be too competitive in something I don't care much about, but maybe I need to stop being too picky.

Originally Posted by Fraiche
Economics and Marketing degrees get you no where after graduation. Accounting has immediate impact.

I've read up on Economics getting you nothing unless you want to be a teacher or go through Graduate School (even then maybe not)

But Marketing as well? I'll have to look more into that.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good field: politics. You can major in whatever the hell you want and get a job in politics. It'll take some hard work on the front end; you'll need to prove yourself by working 70 hour weeks on a campaign or something similar to that. But you can break into it with most any degree.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I was out of a job, sitting at home eating cookies and watching the sopranos. Meadow said that her dad worked for waste management. I decided to give it a go. Been here ever since. true story.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
Get a degree in a hard science (math, computer science, engineering, accounting, finance etc) - it will be much easier to find employment and start a career after school.

While you are working at your first job - it will become apparent to you what areas are truly of interest to you. Then you work towards that.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I began drawing plans when I was in the fifth grade. I knew then that I wanted to be an architect.

Your going to spend a great bit of your life at this ... pick something that will make you happy!

Matthew.1

Reaction score
Well i decided to choose computers as a career as Technology never ends!

Saltricks

Reaction score
1. Things you like to do
2. Things you are good at
3. Things you can get paid to do

Find the intersection of these three things in order to succeed.

reil

Reaction score
So while its true that you don't need much math for software engineering, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're interested in it. Most software engineers sit around doing tech design, coding, and testing all day. It would extremely tedious for someone who doesn't enjoy coding.

To find something that intersects all three things Saltricks listed is probably uncommon, I'm guessing you wouldn't have created this thread if you had something. If you hit two, you can scrape by while doing something you love or you could be financially stable but bored. I tend to see more of the first type here. I would guess the second would lead towards depression.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
1. Things you like to do
2. Things you are good at
3. Things you can get paid to do

Find the intersection of these three things in order to succeed.

If one finds that intersection ... most of the time one is paid to play.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I don't really remember how it happened, but it just did.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some of us folks, we might be good at something we may not "love."

And sometimes the things we are good at make more money than things we love.

Choose wisely.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
And sometimes the things we are good at make more money than things we love.
But why spend a lifetime doing something that you don't love? Money isn't always the answer ... unless, of course, money is what one loves.

chas

Reaction score
I graduated from a midwest party school with a major in Earth Science and a minor in English. Moved to NYC to follow a girl and got a job out of the New York Times doing Environmental Consulting. That was 9.5 years ago. Still in the same field and couldn't be happier.

I just studied what I liked, had fun and let the chips fall where they may.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NeedMoney
I wouldn't go that far, I just have other dreams.

I think I could easily do accounting, but it bores me too much.

A lot of people say this until they get into upper level accounting courses. You really have to enjoy it somewhat to get through it. I'll be studying for my CPA exam for the next four months and if I didn't have some passion for rules and numbers combined I'd be ready to jump off a bridge. Actuallly, it's only been a week and I'm considering it already.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads