• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
I agree that the shirts are usually crap (unless custom fit), but PRL suits and SC's have been great for me (made in Italy)

I'm sure you know this, but wanted to help our new friend
thumbs-up.gif

Good point, I was less than clear. Thanks. I have yet to find a Ralph Lauren Purple Label ANYTHING in ANY size and only a couple of RL black label...not my size.
mad.gif

LJubel328

Reaction score
Came across some ties today that I couldnt pass up. Picked up all three of these for a whopping $21.50
biggrin.gif
far left: unknown, middle: polo RL far right: paul smith
IMAG0034.jpg
Maybe someone could help me distinguishing this tie
IMAG0035.jpg

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Advice question:

I know I see complaints sometimes about people trying to market their narrow width shoes somewhat deceptively because narrow widths are often harder to move. This makes me think if I'm buying a pair of shoes to flip, narrow widths should make me more hesitant to do so. What do people think is the practical cut off? Is a B width OK, whereas an A is too narrow to be sure you can sell?

I'm asking because I could pick up a pair of shoes with very little wear in 10B, shell cordovan, but they would not be the standard $20 thrift shoe. Is this practical, or would you think I'd only break even or profit so narrowly that it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Didn't want to post an interest check because I can't put up enough photos or anything to satisfy a lot of people. Really more interested in general principles anyway. Thanks.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a road trip to Kentucky... came away with three observations:
1) the average dress down there - or at least what ends up at thrift/consignment - is much better
2) there are TONS of shops! And they're relatively close together! Holy cow!
3) #1 and #2 = slow but steady finds!

Here's the list:

For me:
Recent BB polo
MAYBE a Robert Graham shirt... we'll see how my wife reacts when I wear it
laugh.gif

Zegna sport shirt
Made in Canada no-maker-listed pants, 95% super 140's, 5% cashmere
Bill's Khakis Vintage Twills - the ones with the striped inner waistband fabric - two pairs. First of that kind I've seen, so was elated they fit perfectly without alteration!

To sell/trade:
Recent H. Freeman & Son wooden broad-shouldered hanger
Recent J. Press hanger... now when am I going to find something to PUT ON IT?
NWT(!) Zegna Sport polo, L
Recent J. Press shirt, 15/32
Bill's Khakis, waist 32... in M3 fit. Never seen M3 before, even at stores that stock Bills - wish they were my size so I could try the M3 out.
frown.gif

Oxxford Azure Isle pants for Neiman Marcus... I think these may have been orphaned - side tabs, no belt loops. If anyone in the Louisville area finds a corresponding jacket let me know and I'll give you the pants at cost.
Robert Graham M
Robert Graham L
Canali shirt, 16us 42it - what is with 42it shirts?! I've got tons of them... more than any other size. Bonus: it came with Robert Graham collar stays that'll go nicely in a shirt to sell on ebay.
BB Made in England "Peal" brown suede chukkas... worn once or twice, 9D
Ferragamo Tramezza brown captoes, 10D

All in all, pretty productive for just two short afternoons. Prices in some cases were higher than I was used to paying, but it'll work out. Thanks to those in PM who helped out with this trip - you know who you are!
worship.gif

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeH
Advice question:

I know I see complaints sometimes about people trying to market their narrow width shoes somewhat deceptively because narrow widths are often harder to move. This makes me think if I'm buying a pair of shoes to flip, narrow widths should make me more hesitant to do so. What do people think is the practical cut off? Is a B width OK, whereas an A is too narrow to be sure you can sell?

I'm asking because I could pick up a pair of shoes with very little wear in 10B, shell cordovan, but they would not be the standard $20 thrift shoe. Is this practical, or would you think I'd only break even or profit so narrowly that it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Didn't want to post an interest check because I can't put up enough photos or anything to satisfy a lot of people. Really more interested in general principles anyway. Thanks.

I have a pair of 12A I am trying to move (new shell cordovan) and they are very hard to sell! I would think even B would have its problems. C would probably be my cutoff from now on.

Frost410

Reaction score
Nice finds in here(just ran into this thread while browsing).

I run a vintage/thrift shop down in miami and would find it cool to post up pics of our higher grade items we dig out of our processing bails. Ill try to report back soon!

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is far too large for me but I couldn't leave it behind. 44L DB Gieves & Hawkes (likely made by Hickey-Freeman) Fully canvassed. It looks like it was rarely worn. No rips tears or stains in evidence.
IMG_20110608_131327.jpg

IMG_20110608_131558.jpg
IMG_20110608_131659.jpg
No drop listed on the label so I'm assuming it's a SC and not an orphan.
IMG_20110608_131828.jpg

It'll be for sale/trade after I pull the measurements.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
I have a pair of 12A I am trying to move (new shell cordovan) and they are very hard to sell! I would think even B would have its problems. C would probably be my cutoff from now on.

I'm thinking this ought to be my normal rule of thumb as well. Anything smaller I'd just mention as a "go back for" possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads