• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look?

jhilly8982

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcshuffle
The shoes are getting closer, though a lot of people around here dislike the split-toe so you might not get the best responses. Burn the tie in the middle, unless you matching cuffs
lol8[1].gif

Yeah, like I said, I am not sure about the shoes because of the split toe, maybe I will keep looking.

facet

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the middle seam; but the shape is better. Others may say that the derby style is still too casual, especially for a wedding; but, honestly, nobody in the real world would really know any better. What's your budget for shoes? If AE's are too expensive for you, then it becomes more a matter of working within your budgetary means.

The first or third ties are ok. I like the first one a little better just because it introduces less grey; but either will serve you fine.

thesecondprize

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhilly8982
ok, so I spent some time looking at shoes, came home with these. Not sure if I want to spend the money on AE's right now because I wear dress shoes probably 4 times a year. Are they dressy enough? Are they ugly? Not sure how I feel about the seam down the toe but such is life.

Cole Haan are a step up from the original shoes, but I wouldn't wear them. Strike me as trendy - likely to look dated in a few years.

If you buy the AE's, I bet you'll find more than 4 occasions/yr to wear them. That's why we buy nice shoes, right?

Yachting Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
those shoes are a decent color, but are brutal dogshit otherwise.

You haven't been here long if you think bacco bucci is expensive.

This. Those shoes are terribad.

well expensive relatively speaking, $100 is expensive, but I know a great quality pair easily costs 5 times that.

5 times? errr try 10. My son has been looking for good shoes for less than $200 for over a year and cannot find anything.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoes are ugly.

If you are serious about improving your look, you have to go hard or go home. The AE's are probably the least you can buy to achieve this.

Think of it as an investment. The second pair you posted with the seam are marginally better than the first, but they still leave you in the same camp as the first. Which is not good.

Saltricks

Reaction score
DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

]

I'm sorry, these looked like they were carved out of frankensteins butt. I even like the first one's better. Have you considered going barefoot? It could give off that "free spirit" vibe, or something like that.

Just a thought.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are they dressy enough? Are they ugly?]

Well at least they aren't square-toed, but yes they're still pretty damn ugly.

Arsenal

Reaction score
The new shoes are a marginal improvement on the first, but are still (in my opinion) pretty ****.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, so I spent some time looking at shoes, came home with these. Not sure if I want to spend the money on AE's right now because I wear dress shoes probably 4 times a year. Are they dressy enough? Are they ugly? Not sure how I feel about the seam down the toe but such is life. Anyways, you guys are the experts so let it rip.
DSC_0071.jpg

You just traded up from old garbage to new garbage. You've even laid these hideous creations on your bead like a new bride. If you haven't consummated your marriage to these yet (worn them) then return them immediately and buy some AE Strands. Seriously, I am sure this is difficult for you to appreciate at this point in your life, but trust us on the Strands and you'll never go back to buying crap again.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude, you probably paid $150 for those cole haans.

Strands are $230

That extra $80 is worth it.

At 4 wears per year, the strands will last ages. the sting of the extra money will be forgotten quickly when you realize you bought a better looking, higher quality, more durable shoe.

jhilly8982

Reaction score
dude, you probably paid $150 for those cole haans.

Strands are $230

That extra $80 is worth it.

At 4 wears per year, the strands will last ages. the sting of the extra money will be forgotten quickly when you realize you bought a better looking, higher quality, more durable shoe.

Can't find a pair on ebay in my size for $230, they have used pairs but buying used shoes is like buying used underwear in my opinion. Only other option is to buy them at the AE store for $295 plus 9% tax (thank you Chicago)

I paid $119 for the Cole Haan's.

shonuf323

Reaction score
+1 make the investment at 4 wears/year you will have them for the rest of your life most likely. Odds are if you buy a cheap pair now in a couple years (or less) you will buy another, and another, and so on... Edit: There is a seller on the B&S forum that sells AE shoes for $230, the Strand is one that he sells.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't find a pair on ebay in my size for $230, they have used pairs but buying used shoes is like buying used underwear in my opinion. Only other option is to buy them at the AE store for $295 plus 9% tax (thank you Chicago) I paid $119 for the Cole Haan's.
seller "allaboutshoes" or something in our own buy and sell forum. brand new http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=229174

kp970

Reaction score
First post.

I agree with some of the other folks here. The color is fine but the shoe is not. I have the Allen Edmunds Strand in chestnut, and they seem to work very well with that shade of grey in a suit. It's a good look if the formality of the shoe and the suit compliment each other. My two cents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads