• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did you decide a career?

NeedMoney

Reaction score
Trying to figure a major to choose, currently completed 2 years of college and have been stalling on picking a major cause I'm still not sure.

How did you guys decide?

Did you consider going to graduate school or is it required in your career for advancement?

Personally I'm not looking to go to graduate school, I have somethign else in mind what I want to do, but I need a stable, okay paying career that I can work in the meantime/alongside the other thing I want to do.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dislike cops, so other than being a meth-dealing militia member the only opportunity I have to beat up on them is in Court.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NeedMoney
Trying to figure a major to choose, currently completed 2 years of college and have been stalling on picking a major cause I'm still not sure.

How did you guys decide?

Did you consider going to graduate school or is it required in your career for advancement?

Personally I'm not looking to go to graduate school, I have somethign else in mind what I want to do, but I need a stable, okay paying career that I can work in the meantime/alongside the other thing I want to do.

Given your parameters you want something were the undergrad can be a terminal degree and a field in high demand. This would give you everything from computer science to nursing to accounting to engineering. Pick something you like with these parameters.

tj100

Reaction score
the other thing I want to do.

Why would this "other thing" not be your career?

NeedMoney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I dislike cops, so other than being a meth-dealing militia member the only opportunity I have to beat up on them is in Court.

I don't like cops either, but the whole system is the problem. Assuming your post is extremely serious.
eh.gif

Which it isn't, but..I wouldn't want to spend my time with people I dislike, whether I'm watching them fall or not.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Given your parameters you want something were the undergrad can be a terminal degree and a field in high demand. This would give you everything from computer science to nursing to accounting to engineering. Pick something you like with these parameters.

I've thought about those, but I don't want to do accounting. Engineering and Computer Science might above my head in math, and no on nursing.

I've thought about marketing but not sure.

NeedMoney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
Why would this "other thing" not be your career?

It might, hopefully it is. It'll start out part time and I'll gradually move up because it doesn't involve a formal education.

But it doesn't matter right now because I have time to do both easily, so I might as well stay in school and get a good degree.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some people dont figure out what they may enjoy profesionaly until later on after being in the workplace for a few years. the best advise i could give is to see where your strong suits and interests intersect and choose something in that area.

for example, i like money and numbers and am pretty good with them. so im persuing a career in accounting.

good luck.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not much parameters; this is pretty much it: nursing, accounting and engineering (I am inclined to say probably only computer engineering could be terminal). There are some others depending on your region. I know that in the central valley in California, all things agricultural can lead to a career. Chico state has some interesting majors I haven't seen in other state schools for this reason.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
Not much parameters; this is pretty much it: nursing, accounting and engineering (I am inclined to say probably only computer engineering could be terminal). There are some others depending on your region. I know that in the central valley in California, all things agricultural can lead to a career. Chico state has some interesting majors I haven't seen in other state schools for this reason.

Agreed. I get the feeling the OP was looking for a silver bullet answer though. Given his reply it seems he wants a degree without a lot of work to earn and he's pretty sure he doesn't want a job with much effort. /shrug.

NeedMoney

Reaction score
Agreed. I get the feeling the OP was looking for a silver bullet answer though. Given his reply it seems he wants a degree without a lot of work to earn and he's pretty sure he doesn't want a job with much effort. /shrug.

I wouldn't go that far, I just have other dreams.

I think I could easily do accounting, but it bores me too much.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far, I just have other dreams.

I think I could easily do accounting, but it bores me too much.

If it's easy for you, I suggest you do it. Stable, boring jobs are underrated.

NeedMoney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
If it's easy for you, I suggest you do it. Stable, boring jobs are underrated.

Maybe, I have a small interest in marketing and economics.

Economics you have to have a graduate degree though. But marketing is more loose in that respect.

Is anyone in the Marketing field here?

it's ok ma'

Reaction score
Is it too late to get a vocational degree? Not being a jerk here, just that it sounds like this is what you want (this my day job, but I am really....).

From what it sounds, like above posters said, you sound like you don't care much about effort. Don't expect to find a job right out of college with an accounting degree, especially with this attitude. My cousin majored in accounting in a state school and he tells me it's competitive as hell. Internship positions are few and the elite accounting firms and business management companies only want the best.

I suppose nursing would be the "easiest" but most nursing programs are also now very competitive.

A college degree is not a vocational degree, is pretty much what I should say.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe, I have a small interest in marketing and economics.

Economics you have to have a graduate degree though. But marketing is more loose in that respect.

Is anyone in the Marketing field here?

Economics and Marketing degrees get you no where after graduation. Accounting has immediate impact.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads