• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
is it just the bars I frequent or do beers on tap taste worse than when in they're in the bottle? they always taste a little flat with carbonation mostly gone out of them
To enjoy beers on tap, the lines have to be kept perfectly clean and the kegs have to be relatively fresh. Cleaning the taps costs time and money so some bars are much better than others about it. I would only get bottled beer in some places, being tired of tasting the metallic undertones from their dirty taps. I find that freshness is particularly important with IPAs/double IPA's as their delicate, complex hop flavors wills start to fade after a few weeks. Cask conditioned beers tend to be always be relatively flat since they naturally have very low carbonation levels.

SD1

Reaction score
Cigar City Brewing now has their excellent Tocabaga Red Ale in 750ml bottles.

If you are in the Tampa area this week, CCB has a better-than-usual selection on tap:

On tap now in the tasting room:
"¢ Jai Alai IPA*
"¢ Maduro Brown Ale*
"¢ Hillsborough River Dry Stout*
"¢ White Oak IPA*
"¢ Florida Cracker White Ale*
"¢ Minaret ESB*
"¢ El Lector Dark Mild*
"¢ Xenu Honey Cream Ale*
"¢ Cubano Espresso
"¢ 110K+OT Batch #4 (Imperial Red Ale)
"¢ Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale*
"¢ Big Sound Scotch Ale
"¢ Jose Marti American Porter*

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pony Bar in NYC had Dreadnaught IPA on tap last night. Pretty good stuff. Tonight i am going to a bar that has Sculpin IPA on tap. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC437
Pony Bar in NYC had Dreadnaught IPA on tap last night. Pretty good stuff. Tonight i am going to a bar that has Sculpin IPA on tap. Hope it lives up to the hype.

I wonder if Three Floyds sent them that keg of Dreadnaught or they shipped out to NYC (which would be illegal...), either way it's delicious!

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
I wonder if Three Floyds sent them that keg of Dreadnaught or they shipped out to NYC (which would be illegal...), either way it's delicious!

It was good beer. But it was served in an 8oz glass. More please!

Pony Bar is one of the top 2 or 3 craft beer bars in the city. So it seems like they have connections or some way to get the good stuff.

They have had Three Floyds before

Three Floyds Robert the Bruce 6.5
Three Floyds Brian Boru 5.9
Three Floyds Dreadnaught Imperial IPA 9.5
Three Floyds Pride & Joy 5
Three Floyds Gumballhead 5.5

http://www.theponybar.com/served.cfm

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dreadnaught is some seriously good ****. I think Double Trouble from Founder's is slightly better though.

I'm going to a local event in a week for Bell's beer. $30 gets ya unlimited food and 10 beers. Normally I wouldn't be too pumped up for this, but Batch 9K and 10K will be there. Don't need any other beer there, unless Hopslam makes a surprise appearance.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC437
It was good beer. But it was served in an 8oz glass. More please!

Pony Bar is one of the top 2 or 3 craft beer bars in the city. So it seems like they have connections or some way to get the good stuff.

They have had Three Floyds before

Three Floyds Robert the Bruce 6.5
Three Floyds Brian Boru 5.9
Three Floyds Dreadnaught Imperial IPA 9.5
Three Floyds Pride & Joy 5
Three Floyds Gumballhead 5.5

http://www.theponybar.com/served.cfm

Ahhh...that makes sense then, they have a good relationship with FFF, so they are getting kegs from the brewers. You should check out The Gingerman, my girl Lindsay is the General Manager.

Originally Posted by bdeuce22
Dreadnaught is some seriously good ****. I think Double Trouble from Founder's is slightly better though.

I'm going to a local event in a week for Bell's beer. $30 gets ya unlimited food and 10 beers. Normally I wouldn't be too pumped up for this, but Batch 9K and 10K will be there. Don't need any other beer there, unless Hopslam makes a surprise appearance.

All you need to know about is Black Note, if you haven't tried it then you are missing out! I'll just keep sipping on my Black Biscuit and CBS kegs until they release some barrels...

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Just picked up some Firestone Walker Parabola. I probably won't drink it till the fall.

ffffuuuu.gif
I kept forgetting to buy that and now it's all sold out

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Is it possible for a bottled beer to be uncharacteristically bad similar to wine? I started drinking a Dos Equis that was pretty horrible compared to the other five it came with. Something seemed way off.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
ffffuuuu.gif
I kept forgetting to buy that and now it's all sold out

Well, my friend wanted to get some so I went out and got 5 more bottles so I have a half case. He got a full case. The local Whole Foods is tapping their keg on Sat so I'll get a growler and actually try the stuff for the first time.

Originally Posted by StephenHero
Is it possible for a bottled beer to be uncharacteristically bad similar to wine? I started drinking a Dos Equis that was pretty horrible compared to the other five it came with. Something seemed way off.

I suppose one bottle got skunked or something before packaging but that seems unlikely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads