• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It looks good. I would say, if you want to tone it down, just ditch the vest. I hate seeing belt buckle below a vest anyway and think Neapolitan suits nearly always look better without a vest anyway.

The styling is classic Naples, and the Naples fad may (eventually) pass but it's been around for at least 15 years already and even if it does, who cares, there will still be regional style variation and your suit will be fine.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
also, with your very sloped shoulders, I think you should get a smaller shirt collar (and a bit lower lapel gorge). You seem to have a long neck, which typcially means a taller shirt is needed but given your shoulders, I don't like the way the suit frames the shirt collar, makes you look giraffe like.

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
also, with your very sloped shoulders, I think you should get a smaller shirt collar (and a bit lower lapel gorge). You seem to have a long neck, which typcially means a taller shirt is needed but given your shoulders, I don't like the way the suit frames the shirt collar, makes you look giraffe like.

Sorry ,I wasn't clear. It isn't me in the pic. Think more David Mellor or Andrew Lloyd Webber. However, the suit is from Napoli Su Misura.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
Sorry ,I wasn't clear. It isn't me in the pic. Think more David Mellor or Andrew Lloyd Webber. However, the suit is from Napoli Su Misura.

Uh, I thought you looked a lot like medtech_expat
confused.gif
I think that suit/cut/fabric is fine for the regular bloke, I would just keep in mind the gorge/sloped shoulders thing. It's the only thing that I would change from my NSM stuff, she did a slightly lower gorge one for me and it is perfect. My sloped shoulders make the gorge look higher than it is. When you see Mina, you'll have a bunch of options on fabrics, when in doubt, go for a solid navy or grey. In terms of styling, just tell her you want something a bit more conservative than the very stylized Napoli cut she prefers, I think you will be very happy with NSM.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The low-cut waist band and the vest are a bad match. Also, the ticket pocket and cuff buttons look sufficiently different from standard London styling that they will always stick out in a crowd. But it's a good suit.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly where their style would fit in my wardrobe. I'm thinking perhaps slightly casual things like linen suits. Also, if you went with only one button on the jacket cuff, it could work well with tweed jackets or even black tie. Dinner jackets can be a little sporty.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this is just the English-tailored crowd opining, but I also don't like the belt below the vest look. For some reason that cheapens the look. I think you're best off doing a 2-piece suit with that style.

--Andre

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Perhaps this is just the English-tailored crowd opining, but I also don't like the belt below the vest look. For some reason that cheapens the look. I think you're best off doing a 2-piece suit with that style.

--Andre

Or just having a much higher rise - something I've been particularly enjoying recently.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
funny reactions to this photo...

ed your initial comments were right
gorge should be lower
and a lot of things on this coat
in this photo
makes the wearer 'giraffe like'

and this is a case where some shoulder padding
would help the extreme slope

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
and this is a case where some shoulder padding would help the extreme slope
Shoulder padding has never helped anybody.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NickPollica
Shoulder padding has never helped anybody.

That's true, it is possible to get almost any degree of sloping right with cutting technique.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if Mina has mentioned her upcoming NY dates yet?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Anyone know if Mina has mentioned her upcoming NY dates yet?
I think it is 7/9-7/11

Lear

Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts (won't quote). Agree with never wearing a belt with waistcoat. The model/poser in the pic looks a bit too macho and bulked up to me, but this could be due to his stance. Can't explain why I like the softer Napoli cut... I just do. The finer points of tailoring are simply too overwhelming for me to fully fathom.

Manton and Edmorel, thanks for the tips. No idea what medtech_expat looks like, most of his pics have vanished off SF. Would be keen to see more pics of NSM being worn though.

Lear

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
Thanks for all the thoughts (won't quote). Agree with never wearing a belt with waistcoat. The model/poser in the pic looks a bit too macho and bulked up to me, but this could be due to his stance. Can't explain why I like the softer Napoli cut... I just do. The finer points of tailoring are simply too overwhelming for me to fully fathom.

Manton and Edmorel, thanks for the tips. No idea what medtech_expat looks like, most of his pics have vanished off SF. Would be keen to see more pics of NSM being worn though.

Lear

In medtech's absence, I'll speak up. The photo does no justice to the wearer, who is neither bulked up nor a giraffe. Everything you see is attributable to the stance.

And as to the imageshack problem - if you care to, you can see any picture by quoting the post and pasting the link into your address bar. It's laborious, I know, but it's worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads