• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've no interest in women of my generation.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't realize OP lived in New York. You shouldn't have this much trouble meeting a girl to your liking in such a vast city filled with millions (AND MILLIONS //The Rock) of people. It isn't as though you live in some backwoods little town where the most exciting thing going on is the high school football season.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juliank
I hate the way the word pretentious in our generation and in our culture has now become a euphemism for = **** I know nothing about. That's not what the word means. Use it correctly.

Your mistake is assuming I know nothing about umbrellas. I drool over Brigg umbrellas on a weekly basis.
laugh.gif

juliank

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Your mistake is assuming I know nothing about umbrellas. I drool over Brigg umbrellas on a weekly basis.
laugh.gif

Actually Stazy I wasn't quoting you to imply you don't know about umbrellas. I was simply using your post to point out an issue I see amongst my peer group. Whenever I bring it up, it's like I put ants in their pants because a lot of people who are otherwise educated will scream "pretentious" at anyone having a discussion that isn't about **** and beer. Sorry folks, one can be just as pretentious in discussing **** and beer as one can be discussing chess and dinosaur bones. Really, I point it out because usually the people who are the first to label someone as pretentious are the ones who are insecure about their intellectual prowess. That's what i think gets me the most. It's like ugly or fat people who will call attractive or physically fit members of society "vain".

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luna3504
Do you know PUA?? I think that you require stuying PUA skills more AND you need it Good luck to you
smile.gif

99% of those guys are marketeers and scammers that prey on the socially inept. PU is useless - just put yourself out there, smile and make eye contact, don't take the rejections personally, realize that it's all a numbers game.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It means pretending to know or are capable of things that you are not.

Sorry folks, one can be just as pretentious in discussing **** and beer as one can be discussing chess and dinosaur bones.

Now I know why this place seems so ******* affected.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its not an age thing. And its not a class thing.

I socialize with women of all ages and social statuses here, from lowest to highest, and while you will meet women who have broader interests than the typical college girl, or advanced careers, the majority of people (not just women) youll meet will still have the common ****** character traits that you may despise, and doesnt depend on what they know or talk about or how old they are.

I have a friend whos pretty much the most eligible bachelor in the country and hes always mocking us about going to bars and meeting girls there and that we'd never find a "worthy" girl there, but then again after 7 years of him hanging with the most socially and financially respected women in the country, he hasnt met someone he felt he wants a relationship with either.

I believe that if its a longterm thing you think you want, you just have to play the numbers game and cross your fingers and enjoy the ride along the way.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
99% of those guys are marketeers and scammers that prey on the socially inept. PU is useless - just put yourself out there, smile and make eye contact, don't take the rejections personally, realize that it's all a numbers game.

I agree and disagree. Most if not all are FOS but they still may be useful. "Putting yourself out there" doesnt come easy to a lot of guys, and a lot of that bullshit PUA stuff will be a good Placebo to give them the confidence they need. People underestimate how ****** it is psychologically for guys that dont have success with women.

On a weird sidenote, i read the game and tried the line that the guy tells the waitress in the restaurant once online with a girl while reading the book and it worked and that freaked me out.
blush.gif

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Pretentious means attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed. It means pretending to know or are capable of things that you are not.

+1

Thank you for posting this. I find the label gets thrown around a great deal, and it irritates me to no end.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm perplexed at the thought you only started chasing females in the last 1-2 years which is what you said ealier in the thread. YMMV but I think I started chasing tail around 12-13 years old. Do you have a possible hormonal problem?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I'm perplexed at the thought you only started chasing females in the last 1-2 years which is what you said ealier in the thread. YMMV but I think I started chasing tail around 12-13 years old. Do you have a possible hormonal problem?

12-13?? late bloomer. i was playing doctor and house with the ladies by the time i was 7 playa

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
12-13?? late bloomer. i was playing doctor and house with the ladies by the time i was 7 playa
cheers.gif

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, bro. You misread that. I said I haven't had the motivation to chase women in the past 2 years, for reasons I went into. I started the chase through middle, and high school. Had a bit of luck, but nothing that really gave me what I was looking for, unfortunately.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
No, bro. You misread that. I said I haven't had the motivation to chase women in the past 2 years, for reasons I went into. I started the chase through middle, and high school. Had a bit of luck, but nothing that really gave me what I was looking for, unfortunately.

What were you looking for?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What were you looking for?
Affection and understanding. See the theme here? Unlike most boys my age, it was never about the sex. Call me crazy, I could have cared less about all of that. I was looking for something that I was missing in my life that, for me, was of higher priority.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Affection and understanding. See the theme here?

Unlike most boys my age, it was never about the sex. Call me crazy, I could have cared less about all of that. I was looking for something that I was missing in my life that, for me, was of higher priority.

Yes, clearly you have low T for your age.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads