• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
fistbump.gif
We are absolutely identical in terms of height and bf. What do you weigh again? Those are pretty decent numbers man, that's a good point to progress from. Damn chariy you merk the records with perfect form in your first meet and you're still downplaying it! If this is where you're starting at then I don't even want to know where you'll end up.

About 167 lbs, or 76kg. I'll be happy when I hit 80kg I think. Or maybe I'll never be big enough... About weights- I did some rather conservative math. The only exercise I do 1RM for is DL, just for fun. I do 245 x 5 for bench 145 x 5 press 235 x 5 squat 335 x 5 DL 165 x 5 powerclean so I just added 20 lbs or so for each except DL
tongue.gif

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, we're the same weight too, well I'm at 164 right now but close enough. Looks like I have some catching up to do
teacha.gif

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Raced this weekend. Did pretty well, got 2nd in both of my races. Once I should have won, the other was WAY too tight. But I blasted off the line like I never have before, which means I just need a bit more work on endurance. My legs were dying of lactic in the 5 so I think I need some 20 rep squats
frown.gif
Cardio Appreciation:
LmMyR.jpg

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
you do 1RMs once a week?
it just seems like a waste of time.

I've had considerable success with adding heavy doubles and singles to my sessions. Though not necessarily true 1RMs, I wouldn't understate their effectiveness in building top-level strength.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
Raced this weekend. Did pretty well, got 2nd in both of my races. Once I should have won, the other was WAY too tight. But I blasted off the line like I never have before, which means I just need a bit more work on endurance. My legs were dying of lactic in the 5 so I think I need some 20 rep squats
frown.gif
Cardio Appreciation:
LmMyR.jpg

So is your screen name pronounced w/a Puerto Rican accent?
lol8[1].gif
Looks awesome man... I really need to learn how to swim
frown.gif

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellow lifters, I have a dilemma and once again I am in dire need of your educated opinion: how does one learn the power snatch? Any and all tips are welcome - I've been dabbling with the hang snatch for while now just to get the feel of how it's supposed to go but I really don't want to half-ass it. IMO snatch is a beastly lift and a decent power snatch isn't that far behind.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
Fellow lifters, I have a dilemma and once again I am in dire need of your educated opinion: how does one learn the power snatch? Any and all tips are welcome - I've been dabbling with the hang snatch for while now just to get the feel of how it's supposed to go but I really don't want to half-ass it. IMO snatch is a beastly lift and a decent power snatch isn't that far behind.

Rippetoe's video might help: http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...e_power_snatch

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I'm starting to think charly isn't even human... first cheat in ages and I've downed something like 4k thus far, a ton of carbs, I feel like I am going to explode. Carbing up is heaven.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
So is your screen name pronounced w/a Puerto Rican accent?
lol8[1].gif
Looks awesome man... I really need to learn how to swim
frown.gif

I start teaching swim lessons full time for my summer gig soon, come roll on up to Canada
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by TrH
You gotta join an oly gym already, you'd eat that **** up.
Originally Posted by Kajak
Cardio Appreciation:
Fucken awesome. Where are you doing that Kajak? I'm near London ON and the local lake is a pretty big draw for dragonboats/rowing/kayaking/etc.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With Wendler531, you get a pretty good idea of calc'd and true 1rm's. I haven't decided how stupid this is yet, but I go for quick 1rm's during the deload week.

edit: I guess those 1rm's are not necessarily a strict definition 1rm. They are more often PR's.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
Also, I'm starting to think charly isn't even human... first cheat in ages and I've downed something like 4k thus far, a ton of carbs, I feel like I am going to explode. Carbing up is heaven.

I found someone to teach me, its pretty hard to learn by your own unless you constantly video yourself.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
I start teaching swim lessons full time for my summer gig soon, come roll on up to Canada
laugh.gif
You gotta join an oly gym already, you'd eat that **** up. Fucken awesome. Where are you doing that Kajak? I'm near London ON and the local lake is a pretty big draw for dragonboats/rowing/kayaking/etc.

surprise-oldschool.gif
@ your sig ----------------------------- I don't know how people cut without cardio. I've heard a lot of **** about how its catabolic yadda yadda. Man **** that ****. My weight loss was stalling a little bit, and now that I'm fully back into the cycling swing it has started up again. Only lift that has suffered is my deadlift, everything else is level or up. The key is to find something to do either outdoors or that isn't torture (i.e. running on a damn treadmill for an hour). This **** is a breeze man, this is by far my easiest + most successful cut ever.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
surprise-oldschool.gif
@ your sig

-----------------------------

I don't know how people cut without cardio. I've heard a lot of **** about how its catabolic yadda yadda. Man **** that ****. My weight loss was stalling a little bit, and now that I'm fully back into the cycling swing it has started up again. Only lift that has suffered is my deadlift, everything else is level or up. The key is to find something to do either outdoors or that isn't torture (i.e. running on a damn treadmill for an hour). This **** is a breeze man, this is by far my easiest + most successful cut ever.

me too i'm getting noticeably cut and its been easier since i added playing basketball in every other day.

actually it might be easier because i get to eat more on days i play basketball.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I need to film myself eating
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads