• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimbosaurus
I don't venture down the spencer end of town much. The best I can give you is Brother Baba Budan's on Little Bourke between Queen and Elizabeth. It's one of the Seven Seeds places and they'll knock up a good brew for you. My only issue is that I prefer a darker roast than their normal blend.

Originally Posted by Dingeaux
There's Dancing Goat on Little Lonsdale just off King Street (bit of a walk, I know, but worth it), Federal Coffee Reserve at the GPO does a good cup, and the aformentioned Brother Bada Budan on Little Bourke.

Originally Posted by bhall41
SMXL in Little Bourke St (between William and Spencer) is pretty good. You can also try Cafenatics in Church Lane (between Collins and Little Collins, and William and Spencer) - it's a chain but the coffee (and food) is good. Both are closed on weekends.

Thanks I have two mornings up my sleeve and will also keep these in mind the next time I am in town with the missus.

lennier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Depends on the Visa, the 457 used to be a back door to permanent residency as it was given due to skills shortages which required the firm to sponsor the worker. If you have a working Visa it should be fine, it could have a 3 months limit on your employment. Best to check with DIAC if you have issues with it. And can any body recommend a decent coffee shop in Melbourne, Pellegrini's used to be a haunt many years ago, I am staying at the Spencer St end of Burke St. And Hobart by any chance?
Kinfolk on Bourke just down from Spencer is pretty decent and a good cause as well.

Oleg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Ernesto
Any globe-trotting iGents have suggestions for a hotel in Singapore? Was thinking of the Intercontinental.
The Fullerton, if somebody else is paying.
For the amount they were prepared to spend on me it was always the Holiday Inn Orchard City Centre. Actually, it was fine. The exec rooms weren't bad, the roof top pool was decent, there was a fabulous tandoori restaurant in the basement and the staff were nice (though I was there so much last year, they probably got used to me) and they gave me free drinks. The attractive lounge singers would only appeal to the deaf though: nice to look at but stinking. I'd imagine the Intercontinental would be better.

Doug11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Depends on the Visa, the 457 used to be a back door to permanent residency as it was given due to skills shortages which required the firm to sponsor the worker.

If you have a working Visa it should be fine, it could have a 3 months limit on your employment.

I know if you have an Indian name then they won't even interview you as they get 100's and sometimes 1,000's of Applications from Indian students every time they advertise an accounting role.

A couple of Indians tried changing their names to "John Jones" or equiv. and got to the interview stage !!! very cunning. But now the recruiters vet with phone calls.

You will need to stand out from the crowd somehow to - maybe do some. m charity work or similar to get noticed.
Good luck

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
Last time i saw Mina we talked about this, but it wasnt too serious a conversation. It is very unlikely that it would take place.

I think getting WW Chan to come down here is a better bet, but even then Patrick is against the idea every time ive brought it up.

Gordon Yao is an even stronger bet to come to Australia, as they're seriously looking at doing so in the next 6-12 months or so.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oleg
The Fullerton, if somebody else is paying.
For the amount they were prepared to spend on me it was always the Holiday Inn Orchard City Centre. Actually, it was fine. The exec rooms weren't bad, the roof top pool was decent, there was a fabulous tandoori restaurant in the basement and the staff were nice (though I was there so much last year, they probably got used to me) and they gave me free drinks. The attractive lounge singers would only appeal to the deaf though: nice to look at but stinking. I'd imagine the Intercontinental would be better.

Cheers Oleg. It's on my dime unfortunately! Just looking for somewhere decent for the family so we can relax on a stop over.

jessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adamadelaide
Hi Guys,

Decided to register after many months lurking here and elsewhere. I'm in my mid-20s and attempting to improve my general dress sense and wardrobe. I started down this path after traveling through Europe, where I couldn't help but notice how much better in comparison the average guy on the street dresses. The vast majority of people (myself included) in Aus/Adelaide appear to dress really poorly, especially when it comes to more classic/business wear.

However, it seems I'm significantly disadvantaged by the fact that I'm in Adelaide. We literally have nowhere to go for quality clothing (apart from SW&D, where we're actually reasonably well served). Shoes, in particular, are completely unrepresented, apart from the laughable range and prices at Henry Bucks (where I get treated like a criminal for being under 45), and the half-dozen or so Loakes at DJs. Adelaide also does not get anywhere near the range of the higher-end makes in suiting/shirts that DJs carry elsewhere.

So I'm at a point in my life where I have the desire to learn and the money to invest to start a decent wardrobe, but I'm finding it incredibly hard to know where to begin here. I don't currently own a suit (not needed at my workplace), but likely will need to wear one semi-regularly within a year. I have tried on various OTR suits, some of which seemed okay, but $5-600+ for DJ/Myer store brands seems very poor value compared to eastern state offerings. I haven't been able to find out much about MTM options here. I'm tired of buying shoes that fall apart within a couple of years, but am wary of purchasing stuff from pediwear blind. I do not wish to spend any more money on overpriced junk, but I'm not going to send myself broke right off the bat, either.

Do I just start trying my luck ordering online (I have a reasonable idea with regards to fit and sizings)? Or is there anyone here in Adelaide who can please point me towards what I'm missing?

I am pretty sure Nialma do Adelaide visits but that is just shirts. For suits and shoes you may need to take a road trip interstate.

Doug11

Reaction score
Any comments on the busines shirts available at the DJ's sale ?

bhall41

Reaction score
Unless the fit of one of the DJ brands is especially good for you, or the discount is deep, I wouldn't bother. Online retailers such as TM Lewin and Harvie & Hudson offer shirts which are just as good as most of the brands which DJs stock, and they have the advantage of being cheaper (even during sales).

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
Last time i saw Mina we talked about this, but it wasnt too serious a conversation. It is very unlikely that it would take place.

I think getting WW Chan to come down here is a better bet, but even then Patrick is against the idea every time ive brought it up.

I have email to Mina and gotten a reply about her upcoming to Australia. It's unlikely it's going to happen, our market is just too small, they would need continuous repeat orders to make it work. It's the same with WW Chan Patrick doesn't think there are enough interest in Australia for them to make a trip here.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
So blahsta - you just snuck in? Will I see you on Border Security or somesuch TV show?

Naaaah I'm too smart for immigration to be caught. I even faked my citizenship convincingly enough to be on the electoral roll (I regret registering to vote actually).

Today nearly froze my nuts off! It's made that knee length overcoat from Oxford selling for $250 actually attractive. Any one know which Italian company wove the fabric? 80% wool.

Saw pair of nice lobbs on b&s in my size. Too bad not in my price
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads