• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden MTO Forum Group Buy

natesjuice

Reaction score
Hi KG, please put me down for both the whiskey indy and the ravello captoe. thanks!

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this group buy thread will single handedly destroy half of Canada's horse population

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in the Ravello captoe boot if we can do it with a perforated cap. How does the consensus feel about it?

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man o Man kgmessier, you have opened Pandora's box here! Getting people to agree on this is going to be interesting to watch!
Do I have my preferences? Sure, but to make this happen I think everyone needs to understand (as you added to your original post) that we gotta' have a consensus or it won't work.
Perhaps we gauge initial interest and comments then put up a poll to narrow it down to two boots? This could work provided we have enough interest in two different styles. Let me know via PM if I can help.

Thanks

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
Man o Man kgmessier, you have opened Pandora's box here! Getting people to agree on this is going to be interesting to watch!
Do I have my preferences? Sure, but to make this happen I think everyone needs to understand (as you added to your original post) that we gotta' have a consensus or it won't work.
Perhaps we gauge initial interest and comments then put up a poll to narrow it down to two boots? This could work provided we have enough interest in two different styles. Let me know via PM if I can help.

Thanks

+1, I totally agree...I am not wedded to the suggestions I made; I just wanted to generate some interest in some combos we don't often see. Indy on Plaza (or even Barrie), Tanker on Grant, some more commando soles which aren't used nearly enough, so on and so forth. With all these rare shells in the mix and how beautiful they are, I think we will able to find ready consensus. Or so I delusionally hope.
smile.gif

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks

yes

I won't be in on this, but my outsiders perspectives is:

give 2 very specific choices, let people vote

pick 1

if you leave it open to suggestions you'll never get anywhere, there are far too many variables (color, last, stitching options, lacing options), right there are thousands of permutations that people will bring up

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Originally Posted by CHRK33
+1, I totally agree...I am not wedded to the suggestions I made; I just wanted to generate some interest in some combos we don't often see. Indy on Plaza (or even Barrie), Tanker on Grant, some more commando soles which aren't used nearly enough, so on and so forth. With all these rare shells in the mix and how beautiful they are, I think we will able to find ready consensus. Or so I delusionally hope.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by makewayhomer
yes

I won't be in on this, but my outsiders perspectives is:

give 2 very specific choices, let people vote

pick 1

if you leave it open to suggestions you'll never get anywhere, there are far too many variables (color, last, stitching options, lacing options), right there are thousands of permutations that people will bring up

Yup, I understand your concerns and have thought about that already. My idea is to leave things somewhat open for a couple days to see how the general designs and various feature requests shake out. After that, I'll change the OP so it lists only two or three styles with the most popular features. I figure these will be the final fixed designs. Based on those, people can opt in/out, and by next week we should have one or two makeups that have garnered enough interest to warrant some actual production.

Sound reasonable?

- Keith

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Yup, I understand your concerns and have thought about that already. My idea is to leave things somewhat open for a couple days to see how the general designs and various feature requests shake out. After that, I'll change the OP so it lists only two or three styles with the most popular features. I figure these will be the final fixed designs. Based on those, people can opt in/out, and by next week we should have one or two makeups that have garnered enough interest to warrant some actual production.

Sound reasonable?

- Keith

Sounds good, but I think we need to be somewhat realistic...We know that Leffot has already done that Ravello boot (and it sold quite well as-is) and Kathy already expressed interest in a Whiskey Indy w/commando. If we stray too far and get too creative they may shy away.

just my 2 pence

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Yup, I understand your concerns and have thought about that already. My idea is to leave things somewhat open for a couple days to see how the general designs and various feature requests shake out. After that, I'll change the OP so it lists only two or three styles with the most popular features. I figure these will be the final fixed designs. Based on those, people can opt in/out, and by next week we should have one or two makeups that have garnered enough interest to warrant some actual production. Sound reasonable? - Keith
Sounds very reasonable Keith. I would like to politely suggest that Tom at LS has first crack at this to see if he is interested and or able to do this for us. I know that he put together a SF special makeup on a #8 wingtip in January of this year and he is a contributor and sponsor for this site. Seems like you have this well in hand though. Thanks for taking the lead Tracy

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
Sounds good, but I think we need to be somewhat realistic...We know that Leffot has already done that Ravello boot (and it sold quite well as-is) and Kathy already expressed interest in a Whiskey Indy w/commando. If we stray too far and get too creative they may shy away.

just my 2 pence

Seems likely that the Ravello cap toe and whiskey Indy will be two of the final makeups"”perhaps the only two. I doubt the final makeups will be much (if at all) different from what folks had in mind when the conversation started in the first place.

Sounds very reasonable Keith. I would like to politely suggest that Tom at LS has first crack at this to see if he is interested and or able to do this for us. I know that he put together a SF special makeup on a #8 wingtip in January of this year and he is a contributor and sponsor for this site.
Seems like you have this well in hand though. Thanks for taking the lead

Tracy

Sounds cool to me for the reasons you stated.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always found Tom at LS super helpful and passionate about Aldens. The one caveat is that Tom is really loathe to allow his non-best customers (i.e. 5 - 6 pairs minimum a year, his words) to get in on preorder for special make-ups in the whiskey, ravello, or cigar shells. So I don't know how open he would be doing something like this for us. That exclusivity has always bothered me, but I understand the business rationale for it -- just a little annoying in my mind.

rkusmant

Reaction score
Keith, I think we should keep our words to Kathy and Steven. People have reached out and They have 'agreed' to the proposed the design and demand. We should come up with another design to go with Tom.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have always found Tom at LS super helpful and passionate about Aldens. The one caveat is that Tom is really loathe to allow his non-best customers (i.e. 5 - 6 pairs minimum a year, his words) to get in on preorder for special make-ups in the whiskey, ravello, or cigar shells. So I don't know how open he would be doing something like this for us. That exclusivity has always bothered me, but I understand the business rationale for it -- just a little annoying in my mind.
I agree with you but I cant blame them for using that logic. What I am irritated about it that they are located in California. I recently purchased a pair of shoes and was dinged $60 for taxes (I live in CA).
ffffuuuu.gif

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guess that explains it. I've only bought four pair from them in the past year! Although I did get some tasty coffee candy in the box containing a pair shipped from Hawaii.
biggrin.gif

banis

Reaction score
I would order both Whiskey Indy Boot (Barrie or Trubalance, commando or double waterlock sole) and Ravello Boot (Barrie or Trubalance on double waterloc sole).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads