• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luisa's is previewing their winter sale at their North Road warehouse from Thursday.

They don't have a huge amount of SF-approved lines, but they do carry a fair bit of Pal Zileri, shoes by Church's and Trickers, and some other stuff.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
But the wife has vetoed any evening shirt purchases. I just bought a new tux two weeks ago.

In that case, won't you need a shirt to go with your new dinner suit?

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
In that case, won't you need a shirt to go with your new dinner suit?

In theory yes..but the current shirt I bought in England in 2006 and it's only been worn twice. So its a question of weighing up the 'want' of a nice new dinner **** with the 'need'...

....as opposed to the 'need' for a nice pair of brown lace up shoes at some time in the near future.

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quar
I was thinking about emailing Napoli Su Misura to see how many orders would be required to convince them to visit Melbourne / Sydney. I guess this is a hoop-dream, but would any of you guys be interested (and willing to put a deposit down) to secure a visit (and some Neapolitan goodness)?

Last time i saw Mina we talked about this, but it wasnt too serious a conversation. It is very unlikely that it would take place.

I think getting WW Chan to come down here is a better bet, but even then Patrick is against the idea every time ive brought it up.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: any accounting firms take people without permanent residency? Are they even allowed to? Or are they all done through sponsorship?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Question: any accounting firms take people without permanent residency? Are they even allowed to? Or are they all done through sponsorship?

So blahsta - you just snuck in? Will I see you on Border Security or somesuch TV show?

jobro

Reaction score
They don't often get the job. Their visa is dependent on personal circumstances which means they have a greater chance of not showing up for work than a resident. There are probably other hindrances such as tax etc but I'm not in HR.

adamadelaide

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Decided to register after many months lurking here and elsewhere. I'm in my mid-20s and attempting to improve my general dress sense and wardrobe. I started down this path after traveling through Europe, where I couldn't help but notice how much better in comparison the average guy on the street dresses. The vast majority of people (myself included) in Aus/Adelaide appear to dress really poorly, especially when it comes to more classic/business wear.

However, it seems I'm significantly disadvantaged by the fact that I'm in Adelaide. We literally have nowhere to go for quality clothing (apart from SW&D, where we're actually reasonably well served). Shoes, in particular, are completely unrepresented, apart from the laughable range and prices at Henry Bucks (where I get treated like a criminal for being under 45), and the half-dozen or so Loakes at DJs. Adelaide also does not get anywhere near the range of the higher-end makes in suiting/shirts that DJs carry elsewhere.

So I'm at a point in my life where I have the desire to learn and the money to invest to start a decent wardrobe, but I'm finding it incredibly hard to know where to begin here. I don't currently own a suit (not needed at my workplace), but likely will need to wear one semi-regularly within a year. I have tried on various OTR suits, some of which seemed okay, but $5-600+ for DJ/Myer store brands seems very poor value compared to eastern state offerings. I haven't been able to find out much about MTM options here. I'm tired of buying shoes that fall apart within a couple of years, but am wary of purchasing stuff from pediwear blind. I do not wish to spend any more money on overpriced junk, but I'm not going to send myself broke right off the bat, either.

Do I just start trying my luck ordering online (I have a reasonable idea with regards to fit and sizings)? Or is there anyone here in Adelaide who can please point me towards what I'm missing?

Keta

Reaction score
Living in Perth, at first I thought I had the same problem as you: Complete lack of any acceptable retail stores. It took me a while but after some searching I managed to find a few really nice ones.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the Visa, the 457 used to be a back door to permanent residency as it was given due to skills shortages which required the firm to sponsor the worker. If you have a working Visa it should be fine, it could have a 3 months limit on your employment. Best to check with DIAC if you have issues with it. And can any body recommend a decent coffee shop in Melbourne, Pellegrini's used to be a haunt many years ago, I am staying at the Spencer St end of Burke St. And Hobart by any chance?

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin

And can any body recommend a decent coffee shop in Melbourne, Pellegrini's used to be a haunt many years ago, I am staying at the Spencer St end of Burke St.

I don't venture down the spencer end of town much. The best I can give you is Brother Baba Budan's on Little Bourke between Queen and Elizabeth. It's one of the Seven Seeds places and they'll knock up a good brew for you. My only issue is that I prefer a darker roast than their normal blend.

Dingeaux

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
And can any body recommend a decent coffee shop in Melbourne, Pellegrini's used to be a haunt many years ago, I am staying at the Spencer St end of Burke St.
There's Dancing Goat on Little Lonsdale just off King Street (bit of a walk, I know, but worth it), Federal Coffee Reserve at the GPO does a good cup, and the aformentioned Brother Bada Budan on Little Bourke.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ adamadelaide: for shoes, could you not find your correct size in Loakes (in a last you like) at DJs and then order from Pediwear? That's what I did...

For suits, have you considered going to Asia (for a holiday or whatever) and getting some MTM suits there? With some research you should be able to get a great result. I got two suits made in Hoi An (Vietnam) about 4 years ago and I still wear them today. The quality might not be anything special but for $300 each with good cloth and an excellent fit, I'm happy. Also, you could get an MTM shirt made there and use it as a base for more shirts from an online MTM shirt maker like Modern Tailor or similar (again, this is what I did).

bhall41

Reaction score
SMXL in Little Bourke St (between William and Spencer) is pretty good. You can also try Cafenatics in Church Lane (between Collins and Little Collins, and William and Spencer) - it's a chain but the coffee (and food) is good. Both are closed on weekends.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dingeaux
There's Dancing Goat on Little Lonsdale just off King Street (bit of a walk, I know, but worth it), Federal Coffee Reserve at the GPO does a good cup, and the aformentioned Brother Bada Budan on Little Bourke.

Agree with your suggestions re Brother Bada Budan, although this is a fair few blocks from where he will be based.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads