• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banker shirt too cliche when workin @ IB?

kasakka

Reaction score
These guys pretty much ruined those shirts.
gordon_gekko.jpg
53001d1192652682-halloween-costume-ideas-bill-lumbergh-1_full.jpg

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have six contrasting shirts and rock one a month but not more often simply because they are a bit much. The only thing that I could add is these shirts can only be done with french cuffs...nothing is as horrid as non contrasting button cuffs. All or nothing, get your balls on and do it.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by godofcoffee
I don't think it's possible to wear french cuffs without looking like an idiot before you're a VP, at least.

dumbest statement of the day goes to YOU.

congrats on this momentous achievement
worship.gif

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to wear french cuffs without looking like an idiot before you're a VP, at least.

eh.gif

mjphillips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
dumbest statement of the day goes to YOU.

congrats on this momentous achievement
worship.gif

This is bit harsh - do you work in IB? He's somewhat right, an analyst or associate wearing french cuffs would raise a few eyebrows, depending on the workplace. Again, like with a contrast collar shirt - is that the way you want to call attention to yourself? Being a junior banker is like being in a 6-year long job interview.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjphillips
This is bit harsh - do you work in IB? He's somewhat right, an analyst or associate wearing french cuffs would raise a few eyebrows, depending on the workplace. Again, like with a contrast collar shirt - is that the way you want to call attention to yourself? Being a junior banker is like being in a 6-year long job interview.

Nah, one IB internship was enough for me, but I do work in finance...and thats just BS.

I wore french cuffs, I wore barrel cuffs, my shirts were conservative, and I even wore brown shoes.

No one gave a **** so long as I produced the required models/pitchbooks on time.

As long as you wear a normal shirt with non marsupialed cufflinks (yes those gold naked lady cuffs qualify as marsupialed), no one cares...especially as an associate.

hell, the guys in my group were lucky enough to find a shirt that didn't have coffee stains on it, much less give a **** about what type of cuffs they had.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjphillips

I feel like if everything is in proportion and you are not wearing loud tacky cufflinks nobody is going to notice the shape or style of your cuffs. If they do, they probably have too much time on their hands.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gordon Gekko wasn't an investment banker. Just sayin'.

peepwall[1].gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very true. Most people don't actually know what an investment banker does.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This thread is hilarious.

mjphillips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Gordon Gekko wasn't an investment banker. Just sayin'.

peepwall[1].gif

If anything, this lends credence to anti-contrast collar argument - as Gekko was the IB client. Salespeople probably shouldn't dress better than their clients.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Very true. Most people don't actually know what an investment banker does.

An old mentor of mine once said that a successful investment banker is "someone who finds a 25th hour in every day."

By that he meant that the successful banker is the one who can somehow get all his model monkeying done on time and with a minimum of errors, and still find time to do the requisite ass kissing and networking to get ahead. Most people can't manage both: their attention and time is finite, and so they can either be excellent worker bees or excellent schmoozers. Neither, in and of itself, is sufficient.

Pendulum

Reaction score
As anti SF as this will be, here's some advice. Wear something that is a. presentable and b. comfortable. There is nothing worse than sitting at your desk at 9pm in a shirt you've been wearing for the last 13 hours which you aren't comfortable in because you're trying too hard to look good. I have a few shirts that I keep at work for when I'm in the office late as I can't stand being in a sweaty shirt.

Russ_H

Reaction score

This seems to be a fairly widespread feeling in the US. I don't really understand why. Double cuffs are
widely worn in the UK. If the office boy wears double cuffs it does not raise any eyebrows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads