• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belt or no belt?

IsteRed

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,so i was reading through a few articles and i've read that belts were not traditionally worn with suits,braces were worn instead.I'm not talking about 3 piece suits,I'm talking about 2 piece suits.I personally find wearing suspenders is better,looks better aesthetically in my opinion plus is more comfortable i guess.What is your opinion on this?Do you like wearing belts with 2 piece suits?

Merlino

Reaction score
If your trousers fit properly, you shouldn't need either.aesthetically speaking, I'd prefer braces over a belt, provided the trousers do not have belt loops! If your trousers have belt loops you MUST wear a belt.

Galix

Reaction score
With a suit I prefer suspenders. I think they look better and actually they are more comfortable IMO.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merlino
If your trousers fit properly, you shouldn't need either.aesthetically speaking, I'd prefer braces over a belt, provided the trousers do not have belt loops! If your trousers have belt loops you MUST wear a belt.

Yep,but if I'll go bespoke i think I'll choose side adjusters over belt loops.Do you think it's possible for a tailor to remove belt loops?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed
Yep,but if I'll go bespoke i think I'll choose side adjusters over belt loops.Do you think it's possible for a tailor to remove belt loops?

Yes, it can be done. Depending on the material it can be very noticeable, however.

Merlino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed
Yep,but if I'll go bespoke i think I'll choose side adjusters over belt loops.

As well you should, a much much nicer look if you ask me.

coop86

Reaction score
I just wore an RLBL suit to a wedding on Saturday with side adjusters and I am wishing all my suits where like that...

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merlino
If your trousers have belt loops you MUST wear a belt.
Not true.

I will concede that trousers without belt loops might be the ideal choice for wearing braces. However, since in theory one ought to be wearing a suit jacket anyway, and that jacket ought (again, in theory, and often in practice) to be buttoned nearly all the time, one's belt loops would not normally be visible.

Of course, neither would the braces be visible. Many people fail to understand this fact, that when worn with a suit, braces are akin to underwear. Invisible to public scrutiny.

Admittedly, some men choose to wear braces without a suit coat, and their braces - and belt loops, if present - are visible to the public. But their mistake is more properly one of failure to wear a jacket, than it is the wearing of braces with trousers having belt loops.

It's like stating that it's wrong to wear boxers with pictures of The Great Gazoo on them, if you're attending a formal wedding. Unless your boxers are on public display, there's no problem. And if your boxers are visible, the issue is more properly that you're showing your boxers in public, not that your boxers feature a cartoon character.
--
Michael

Merlino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321
Not true.
--
Michael

All nice in theory, but in practice most if not all men take off their jackets from time to time. If you have belt loops you must wear a belt.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coop86
I just wore an RLBL suit to a wedding on Saturday with side adjusters and I am wishing all my suits where like that...

Really? I had mine removed and put in belt loops. They just didn't sit right for me.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
belt loops can be removed.
if at least 2" of cloth has been cut off and saved from the hemming of trousers
that can be used to make side adjusters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads