• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ted Baker v. Under $800 MSRP

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I have been searching for a suit for about 6 months. I've finally discovered one but I'm not so familar with the quality. It is a TED BAKER ENDURANCE suit.

What is the quality like on these suits? Are there other suits OTR that you would suggest for under $800 retail?

p.s. I noticed the endurance is half-canvassed.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sure its half canvassed? Last time I checked the Endurance suit, it was fused all the way. Quality wise, Ted Baker wont be that much different to other brands in that price range. I personally would not invest anything over $300 for Ted Baker.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am pretty familiar with some of Ted Baker's products but agree with Klobber. The suit itself is fused. In the same category as a Hugo Boss suit. It isn't a bad thing, but there are better options in this price range if you are willing to wait.

There is very little in terms of what Ted Baker has to offer that is worth retail. Their Archive collection is worth a look as it is mostly made in Italy and better constructed.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
I am pretty familiar with some of Ted Baker's products but agree with Klobber. The suit itself is fused. In the same category as a Hugo Boss suit. It isn't a bad thing, but there are better options in this price range if you are willing to wait.

There is very little in terms of what Ted Baker has to offer that is worth retail. Their Archive collection is worth a look as it is mostly made in Italy and better constructed.

Where can I get archive. The SA says the suit is half-canvased.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Expensive crap with gimmicks.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Expensive crap with gimmicks.

So what would you suggest? I've waited half a year to find a suit and this one has the style I really like. The SA says the suit is half-canvassed. The price is within reach.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
I've waited half a year to find a suit and this one has the style I really like. The SA says the suit is half-canvassed. The price is within reach.
If you can score that Endurance suit for around $300 to $350, nobody here would bat an eyelid. If you choose to pay full retail at around $750, then
eh.gif
. Do not believe the SA is an authority on suits, few if any are. They are primarily sellers, secondly sellers, and lastly experts on suit construction. I have known SA's whom have claimed that there is no such thing as canvassing when they tried to tempt me with a Joseph Abboud and I complained the whole damn jacket was fused. If you like the style of the Endurance suit, just buy it man. If you have waited this long for a suit in that style, whats stopping you? The quality sucks compared to the SF approved brands. Compared with Macy's or Dillards range of suits, Ted Baker would be pretty top end in these department stores, along with Hugo Boss Black or Red Label. Pay for Ted Baker what you would pay for Boss. Nuff Zed!

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
If you can score that Endurance suit for around $300 to $350, nobody here would bat an eyelid. If you choose to pay full retail at around $750, then
eh.gif

Do not believe the SA is an authority on suits, few if any are. They are primarily sellers, secondly sellers, and lastly experts on suit construction. I have known SA's whom have claimed that there is no such thing as canvassing when they tried to tempt me with a Joseph Abboud and I complained the whole damn jacket was fused.

If you like the style of the Endurance suit, just buy it man. If you have waited this long for a suit in that style, whats stopping you? The quality sucks compared to the SF approved brands. Compared with Macy's or Dillards range of suits, Ted Baker would be pretty top end in these department stores, along with Hugo Boss Black or Red Label.

Pay for Ted Baker what you would pay for Boss. Nuff Zed!

Very interesting that he would lie to me. I'm a little disappointed especially since it was at a reputable department store. The style is great.

http://www.polyvore.com/ted_baker_ji...ng?id=33433211

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting that he would lie to me. I'm a little disappointed especially since it was at a reputable department store. The style is great.

It's actually quite common. I've had SAs from some of the more reputable stores mislead me on the quality of suits. I don't know if it was intentional or if it was ignorance, but here are some of the things SAs have said to me:

Hugo Boss Black Label is not fused
Coppley is not fused
Armani Collezioni is not fused

It's pretty disappointING actually since alot of the brands mentioned above cost quite a bit of money at retail. At the very least SAs should describe the products accurately.

And one last bit of advice. Make sure the suit fits properly. I've had SAs try to sell me suits that were obviously not my size (i.e. too big), but were trying to convince that it was perfect. They usually do this when your actual size is not in stock but they still want to make a sale.

Good luck!

PS - The Ted Baker suit in your link is a nice colour, but I think you can find an Isaia, Canali RLBL, or Hugo Boss Selection (Half Canvass) for that price. I think that you can even score a Zegna on ebay or B&S for that price.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just looked at your sig...what exactly is a slim-fit tie? Do you mean a skinny tie? If so, you won't have much luck finding a skinny Tom Ford tie, his are usually super-wide (~3.75").

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by othertravel
It's actually quite common. I've had SAs from some of the more reputable stores mislead me on the quality of suits. I don't know if it was intentional or if it was ignorance, but here are some of the things SAs have said to me: Hugo Boss Black Label is not fused Coppley is not fused Armani Collezioni is not fused It's pretty disappointING actually since alot of the brands mentioned above cost quite a bit of money at retail. At the very least SAs should describe the products accurately. And one last bit of advice. Make sure the suit fits properly. I've had SAs try to sell me suits that were obviously not my size (i.e. too big), but were trying to convince that it was perfect. They usually do this when your actual size is not in stock but they still want to make a sale. Good luck! PS - The Ted Baker suit in your link is a nice colour, but I think you can find an Isaia, Canali RLBL, or Hugo Boss Selection (Half Canvass) for that price. I think that you can even score a Zegna on ebay or B&S for that price.
Yikes... The suit is going for about $500. I haven't been able to find an Isai, Canali of RLBL anywhere near that price range in my size. I've been looking for 6 months. And I refuse to buy online on ebay, bluefly or wherever.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh.gif

Do not believe the SA is an authority on suits, few if any are. They are primarily sellers, secondly sellers, and lastly experts on suit construction. I have known SA's whom have claimed that there is no such thing as canvassing when they tried to tempt me with a Joseph Abboud and I complained the whole damn jacket was fused.

If you like the style of the Endurance suit, just buy it man. If you have waited this long for a suit in that style, whats stopping you? The quality sucks compared to the SF approved brands. Compared with Macy's or Dillards range of suits, Ted Baker would be pretty top end in these department stores, along with Hugo Boss Black or Red Label.

Pay for Ted Baker what you would pay for Boss. Nuff Zed!

An SA once told me that 40% Poly added mcuh needed structure to the suit. I stared blankly at her..."Are you serious?"

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
An SA once told me that 40% Poly added mcuh needed structure to the suit. I stared blankly at her..."Are you serious?"

Yup, Ive heard that one as well. Its good to know your stuff well, plenty of others get duped by the SA's.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
More often than not the SA doesn't know they are lying to you. They just want to sound like they know the product and will say anything in hopes that it pleases you enough to buy.
Where can I get archive. The SA says the suit is half-canvased.
I have only seen pieces of the Archive collection in their own stores. Never seen it in department stores. Don't even think they show it online (the store near me has way more product than their online store, which I find odd).

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
So the overall construction is similar to that of a HB suit... Would you buy? I feel like I am wearing my suits to much right now and I've already waited 6 months. I only have 3 suits I enjoy wearing and 1 that I keep on the bench when one needs to be cleaned.
Yup, Ive heard that one as well. Its good to know your stuff well, plenty of others get duped by the SA's.

So $500 go for it? Silly SA's!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads