• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Its probably why the American Skinheads have got it all wrong, Kilburn Skinheads talking bollocks.
laugh.gif

You're subversive. I like that!
laugh.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
Now we know who to blame Roy!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And all this will go in the book. Over the other side of the pond there will be a weeping, a wailing, and a gnashing of teeth!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Batwing
Ello,

Interesting Time magazine artical on skinhaeds from June 1970...

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...romoid=googlep

"Descendants from Rockers"
eh.gif
,I don`t think so_Ok I had a Motorbike in`71 but never descended from those Grease Monkeys.It was the Greasers that were!We also gave the Yanks- Hells Angels?Where did that Prat go to School.Nothing to do with the Motorcycle Gangs(returning exServicemen from WW2)that roamed the various States then?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with the Motorcycle Gangs(returning exServicemen from WW2)that roamed the various States then?

"What are you rebelling against?"

"What ya got?"

Batwing

Reaction score
"Descendants from Rockers"
eh.gif
,I don`t think so_Ok I had a Motorbike in`71 but never descended from those Grease Monkeys.It was the Greasers that were!We also gave the Yanks- Hells Angels?Where did that Prat go to School.Nothing to do with the Motorcycle Gangs(returning exServicemen from WW2)that roamed the various States then?

Like I said interesting
biggrin.gif

I have read this thread from the begining and can see that the writer must have of assumed things from the comfort of his desk
laugh.gif

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guildford,in the early `60s,was very much a Mod hang-out.With Clubs such as The Ricky Tick,The Harvest Moon,The Wooden Bridge etc.,(including Live Acts such as The Temptations,The Four Tops,Junior Walker and the All Stars,The Rolling Stones,The Who,The Small Faces, Chris Farlowe etc.,etc.),you were sure of a good night out.I was told once that Scooters were parked the full length of North Street-which is a long Street that runs parallel to the High Street-on a Friday and Saturday Night. When I arrived in`69,the Guildford Civic Hall had taken over with the Concerts.
The Civic Hall was a large place,where it could hold up to 800 People(maybe more).During `69 to `70 most of the Concert Goers were Skinheads.I saw Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon,The Showstoppers,Geno Washington(though I preferred Him in a smaller Venue) and Jimmy James and the Vagabonds play there.Once a month they would hold Dances.Visiting Djs such as the Emperor Rosko(he came quite a few times) Road Show would hold Court.These Dances would sometimes end up with Punch-ups between the various Gangs-the Dances got closed down in `70/`71 because of the escallating violence.It was a chance to get "Suited Up" and find a Girl.
The worst Night I went there,was a Saturday in`70,for a Live Act and Dance.The Headlining Act did not show up,so People became p*ss*d off.The Concert Organisers said they had a stand-in Group.I had read about this Group in the Paper and knew this could be trouble.The Group was The Ambrose Slade(Slade).The Hall was packed and the Group started playing.The problem was,it was a Skinhead Group playing Heavy Rock.The place erupted,bottles,glasses-anything that could be handled-were thrown at the Stage.People jumped on the Stage to have a go at Noddy Holder and the rest of them.In fact punches were thrown before the Bouncers could get to them.The Group got ushered Off Stage after two Songs.When they tried to get the Group out of the Civic Hall there was a Riot(with the Old Bill arriving in numbers).They closed the Dance down after that-which inflammed the situation even more.Several Pubs got smashed up that night.So when I hear that Slade influenced Skinheads,I always think back to that night.
plain.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So when I hear that Slade influenced Skinheads,I always think back to that night.
plain.gif

I always remember them turning up at the college I was at for a gig, and I was saying to them "No, you shouldn't be wearing braces and a belt, and no skinhead would wear that t-shirt... those jeans should be Levis... those boots should be DMs..." So it wasn't Slade influencing skinheads, it was a skinhead influencing Slade!
laugh.gif

(You're way too flash, M-o-M!)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
I always remember them turning up at the college I was at for a gig, and I was saying to them "No, you shouldn't be wearing braces and a belt, and no skinhead would wear that t-shirt... those jeans should be Levis... those boots should be DMs..." So it wasn't Slade influencing skinheads, it was a skinhead influencing Slade!
laugh.gif

They did come from Wolverhampton
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... and they do say that the best thing to come out of Wolverhampton is the A41!
laugh.gif

Yes Mate,I have been there!

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
BTW Did anybody ever read -

'Today there are no gentlemen: the changes in Englishmen's clothes since the war' (1971) By Nik Cohn ?

Is it worth tracking down?

Not read it but would like to own it myself Paul, highly sought after and very expensive though...

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a Girlfriend from the "Black Country" many years ago-and I did acquire a taste for Banks`Bitter.It was very cheap as well!
smile.gif

Little Queenie

Reaction score
laugh.gif

I think more a case of being dressed-up by their manager in a cynical (and misplaced) bid to capture Skinheads as an audience!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads