• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartoria Gianni Volpe - Naples

banis

Reaction score
I should say that I had a wonderful experience with Gianni Volpe. I ordered a suit, a tweed sportcoat and linen pants. As I could visit Napoli only for 4 days - Thursday to mid-Sunday, I called to Gianni in advance and asked whether he would be able to take my order and make all the necessary fittings during my short stay.

I visited him on Thursday morning and had a first fitting later the same day. Next fitting was done on Friday and a final fitting was done on Saturday. Afterwards all the garments were pressed and on Sunday morning I received my fully finished order. So, Gianni managed to fulfill my order just in three days. I am fully satisfied with my order and will definetely order with him in the future.

As for the pants, I have a couple of pictures of the linen pants that were made by Volpe's trousermaker. I think that I ordered pants in the same colour and in the same configuration from Ambrosi and will see how they will look in comparison when I receive them. It turned out accidentally that I ordered the same pants from two different places and Ambrosi promised that he could make pants for me during my stay. However, his agent did not have that particular cloth and he promised to finish pants as soon as he receives cloth from his agent (he sent me a message that he has already finished them and I should probably receive them soon
musicboohoo[1].gif
). Cloth for the pants that were made for me by Volpe I purchased from Caccioppoli, which is on the same street as Volpe. Below you can see photos of the said pants from Volpe.
i-V8cSbKn-XL.jpg
i-kSpgFhs-XL.jpg

Here are couple of others photos from the sartoria:
i-ftHswDS-XL.jpg

i-SnRk4Lx-XL.jpg

i-fqmSGm6-XL.jpg

i-HjpXXMT-XL.jpg

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gret pictures Ivan! I like the trouser. I had in mind something similar, in a slight lighter colour, but end up not commisioning one at the end. If I only had seen those pictures I may have ended up ordering that one instead of the grey I went for.

I was also less lucky then you as I only had Friday and Saturday available as GV had to go to Milan on a scheduled visit.... Anyway, once everything is ready, a friend of mine make fly to London with my order in exchange of some hospitality...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
Banis (Ivan) - great photos! the pants look quite nice =)

+1

banis

Reaction score
Thanks! I like the pants myself and wish that I have ordered a couple more pairs. The weather in Moscow today is not very hot and there is A/C in my office, so I decided to wear a tweed coat today made by Volpe. You can see a tailor finishing this jacket in the photos above.
i-Vq46VtQ-XL.jpg

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
Thanks! I like the pants myself and wish that I have ordered a couple more pairs.

The weather in Moscow today is not very hot and there is A/C in my office, so I decided to wear a tweed coat today made by Volpe. You can see a tailor finishing this jacket in the photos above.
i-Vq46VtQ-XL.jpg

wear the above in health

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trousers look very nice. Maybe its the camera angle or the way he's standing but it looks like the jacket is a bit big.

blackdice

Reaction score
Great posting. It's really interesting to see the wide range of Neapolitan tailors and their similar but slightly different styles.

Incidentally, there is a fairy detailed overview of the "unknown" sartorial treasures in Napoli in the last 2 issues of Men's EX. I'll try to summarise it or scan the article and upload it later this week...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdice
Incidentally, there is a fairy detailed overview of the "unknown" sartorial treasures in Napoli in the last 2 issues of Men's EX. I'll try to summarise it or scan the article and upload it later this week...

That would be great - thanks.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdice
Great posting. It's really interesting to see the wide range of Neapolitan tailors and their similar but slightly different styles.

It would be nice if you could post it.

As for the treasures, I think that one can find them in the Spanish Quarter. There are quite a lot of different tailors over there. However, it is only worth going there if you have steel balls and are not afraid of going to the Spanish Quarter and, of course, if you do speak at least decent Italian or have someone local that will accompany you.

andreyb2

Reaction score
Banis, superb trousers.

Fuller back line might suit your physique a bit better, though -- for obvious reasons (or I might be mistaken by the posture).

Said this, they are still good as they are.

Andrey

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Mr Volpe to check on my order and everything is on schedule. The good news is that Mr Volpe will be in London from the 28th to the 31st July and will visit regularly thereafter. He also mentioned that he may come with his shirtmakers. I will publish more details as soon as I get it and pass him any interest from this forum...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marcodalondra
Just got off the phone with Mr Volpe to check on my order and everything is on schedule. The good news is that Mr Volpe will be in London from the 28th to the 31st July and will visit regularly thereafter. He also mentioned that he may come with his shirtmakers. I will publish more details as soon as I get it and pass him any interest from this forum...

Does Volpe speak English, or is a translator required?

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Does Volpe speak English, or is a translator required?
No, he does not speak English.
There is a Caccioppoli shop across the street and there are guys who speak English and can assist with the required translation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads