• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding suit

ruzzi

Reaction score
I need to buy a suit for my wedding. I'm located in Brisbane, Australia but my very small wedding will be in Paris in late August. I've never thought about what I'd wear to my wedding and I don't know anything about what traditionally is worn (is it a tux? or a dinner suit?). Actually, that's wrong ... when i was 20 i thought i wanted to wear a dior homme tux but that's a bit ridiculous thinking about it now. I have plenty of business suits etc but they're all very businessy My future wife will be spending a reasonable amount on a wedding dress from a Brisbane fashion designer (http://www.paulhunt.com.au/) so I'd say she'll have a contemporary wedding dress. So basically I just want the following: - reasonably timeless but modern fit, you know... slimmish fit, not fashion slim but just well fitted as I am very skinny... about 130lbs and 5'10". rtw is not the greatest option for me in my experience. - looks good in photos - compliments bride's dress, lets her dress shine etc. - ideal, but not necessary - something I could wear again to other weddings or formal events? - reasonable price, $1-2k, not a baller
smile.gif
- travels well! - 2 month or less turnaround time. Don't really want to be worrying about it in August. Options off the top of my head: - Go to Cloakroom boutique in Brisbane - They do mtm, I think they did some tux's for a wedding as shown on this blogpost http://cloakroomsuite220.blogspot.co...-are-back.html & http://cloakroomsuite220.blogspot.co...o-classic.html A bit more skewed towards fashion then trad. - David Jones department store in Brisbane - Just get a otr dark suit ie z zegna and get it altered. - Stupid idea, buy something in Paris (I will probably land 3 days before the wedding)? - A suggestion from you guys
smile.gif
Thoughts?
smile.gif

ruzzi

Reaction score
ok, so i've read "manton's guide to wedding attire", and i've come to the following conclusions: after reading the guide, most likely i am going to avoid a tuxedo, as it is an afternoon ceremony. that lead me to this part of the guide:
"Which dark suit? The spiffiest suit he could wear would be a single breasted peaked lapel, one-button jacket with a double breasted vest. This works well in either oxford gray or midnight blue. One could go lighter, but the severity of the cut works better with the darkest colors. The problem is that this suit is not so useful in a business context, and we want our man to be able to get some use out of this thing after the wedding day. "
So I am thinking perhaps a 'modern-take' on this. I can see feel the cringes now. But I am young, asian and skinny as hell so the typical sf look isn't going to work for me. I'm thinking of something like this:
Pistols_at_Dawn_122.jpg
Single-breasted, narrow peak lapels, 1 button in dark navy blue. The one pictured is cotton and the maker actually call a "dinner jacket", which it could easily pass for in Australia. The only change I would probably make to the suit is to have it done in a light to medium weight wool instead of cotton. Then I would finish off as follows: - white dress shirt - long 'wedding' tie, houndstooth? - white linen pocket square - small boutonniere - shiny black dress shoes - i will skip the vest as i've never worn one and i think it'd make me feel uncomfortable. I guess my questions I'd like to ask are: 1. am I going in the right direction re or is the suit pictured above a too close to a tuxedo/dinner jacket or some other type of mutant tuxedo/suit i dont know about? in my mind i'm trying to get a 'lounge suit' and don't want it to be mistaken for a tux. 2. is cotton an option i should consider? 3. should i consider a notch-lapel instead of peak?

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So much wrong here I don't know.where to start

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
So much wrong here I don't know.where to start

Kinda like your sig? Hint: it's "buy" not "by."

To OP. What you are suggesting is a slim cut midnight navy one button peak lapel. Sounds great. The tie is right on, so is the pocket square. The "shiny shoes" are called patent leather and I would skip them . Just buy as nice a pair of plain black leather dress shoes as you can easily afford and polish them well.
Since your not getting a tuxedo, put that word totally out of your mind.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NorCal;4549556 said:
Kinda like your sig? Hint: it's "buy" not "by./QUOTE

Recently I've only been visiting gthe site by phone. Consequently the t9 texting makes improper assumptions.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
In France you will have 2 separate ceremonies - etat civil (city hall) and religious (if you want). The marriage certificate will be issued only by the etat civil, so take care. Normally, at the etat civil people will be dressed in gray suits or other lounge (it normally takes place in the morning) so a tuxedo will be an overkill for sure.
Check that please, and the technical delays - you should place the "bans de marriage", etc. if you are not doing it at the Australian consulate.

ruzzi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
To OP. What you are suggesting is a slim cut midnight navy one button peak lapel. Sounds great.
Thanks, 1 more question. What for purposes could I potentially wear this suit after my wedding? At the moment I'm guessing going out at night or to other people's weddings? I guess I'm questioning whether it's a worth while investment or not. I think it will be a better investment than a tuxedo though!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads