• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I like your attitude Dig. And the fact that you have listed to good feedback and applied it shows you are serious about it. Keep it up and I look forward to more progress next week.
I didn't mean to take so long to respond but I was on the way out the door to work when I saw this and didn't have time to answer properly.

Last part first. We own 3 cameras. One is missing the charger. The second is missing but we have the charger. The third? Both the camera and charger are currently AWOL. Obviously, my Droid camera phone is sorely lacking the capability to meet my SF needs. I believe I'll refrain from posting any more fuzzy fit pics until I can do them justice. It's not fair to ask you guys for help if you can barely make out the details. The exception will be if I can get access to the card (no idea where it is) that holds our Italian vacation pics from a week ago.

Back to the first part.

I'm having a blast. The combination of improving my personal style while enjoying the thrill of a treasure hunt as I thrift these clothes that I find amazing is a double dose of fun. I came here looking for feedback. It would be very poor manners for me to ask for help and then toss it off, especially when there are so many talented people here who are taking the time to help. It stings a bit to learn that some of the best clothing I have ever worn is not the appropriate color for my complexion but I take comfort in the fact that I haven't spent much money (probably less than $300 to own thousands of dollars worth) on my missteps.

Everyone has been very patient with me and I know that I'm far from finished. Watch this space!

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctp120
...This looks nice. I'll join the chorus in saying you've greatly improved.
Thanks. I'm peddling as fast as I can! You guys have been a great inspiration. BTW: I have thus far refrained from offering my opinion on fits as I quickly realized how little I knew. Maybe in a few more months...

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
It stings a bit to learn that some of the best clothing I have ever worn is not the appropriate color for my complexion but I take comfort in the fact that I haven't spent much money (probably less than $300 to own thousands of dollars worth) on my missteps.

TBH, olive looks bad in 99% of applications. I actually can't think of any outfits that stand out that feature olive prominently. It's just a very dated and ugly color.
laugh.gif

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Boswell
I know, I need a better camera, better lighting, and a longer mirror. And in my haste I messed up the tie knot.
me1.jpg

That pocket square is, um, exuberant, even for these here parts. Maybe stuff a bit more of it into the pocket?
me3.jpg

The coat looks like an orphan suit coat rather than a sport coat. Also, the pants look (in this picture) like they're so overly large that they're gathering when you cinch your belt. The corduroy also seems like a mismatch with the coat fabric.
me4.jpg
[/spoiler]

This photo doesn't help us evaluate the fit.
me2.jpg
Blue moccasins or red socks. Sometimes. Both? Never. Those shoes, should you choose to wear them with this sort of fit, pretty much demand that you go sockless.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
TBH, olive looks bad in 99% of applications. I actually can't think of any outfits that stand out that feature olive prominently. It's just a very dated and ugly color.
laugh.gif

thats pretty inaccurate. just chill out with the sartorial declarations and spend some more time learning man.

Boswell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sugarbutch
That pocket square is, um, exuberant, even for these here parts. Maybe stuff a bit more of it into the pocket?
Perhaps. I wouldn't let it go out any more than it is.
The coat looks like an orphan suit coat rather than a sport coat.
It's definitely a sport coat. You'd probably be able to tell with better lighting.
Also, the pants look (in this picture) like they're so overly large that they're gathering when you cinch your belt. The corduroy also seems like a mismatch with the coat fabric.
The coat fabric is linen. Pardon my ignorance, but I've never heard of corduroy not going with linen. Perhaps you could elaborate? The pants are a little bit too big in the waist, and the belt is tight, making the pants appear somewhat larger than they actually are in that photograph, but I intend to discard the belt and use braces instead. If you are wearing braces it is acceptable for the pants to have a looser waist than is customary with belts. Other than that, the pants fit perfectly.
This photo doesn't help us evaluate the fit.
The intent was to show the colour coordination but the picture is admittedly unsatisfactory due to the poor lighting.
Blue moccasions or red socks. Sometimes. Both? Never. Those shoes, should you choose to wear them with this sort of fit, pretty much demand that you go sockless.
I thought of that as well, but I don't feel comfortable walking around in public without socks. A man's legs should be fully covered at all times whilst in public; at least, that's how I was raised. I think that the red socks go well with the suede loafers, but if you can explain to me what is specifically wrong with this combination I would be open to criticism.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
thats pretty inaccurate. just chill out with the sartorial declarations and spend some more time learning man.
I'd love to be proved wrong. I should have worded it differently, didn't mean to state it as fact. Just my opinion.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The coat fabric is linen. Pardon my ignorance, but I've never heard of corduroy not going with linen. Perhaps you could elaborate?

Probably because corduroy is a material most often reserved for cooler months, and linen for warmer months.

Boswell

Reaction score
Probably because corduroy is a material most often reserved for cooler months, and linen for warmer months.
Corduroy can be worn all year round. The same rules for chinos and jeans apply to corduroy trousers.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Corduroy can be worn all year round. The same rules for chinos and jeans apply to corduroy trousers.

I strongly disagree.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I strongly disagree.

I agree with Spoo, but still wear my corduroy pants in summer. In my mind, tight-fitting corduroy is all-season and loose cords are for winter only. Don't ask me why.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an outfit from this evening, running around and getting groceries with the lady friend.

P1000044.jpg

P1000045.jpg

And then my get-up from work last week:

P1000047-1.jpg

P1000051.jpg

Still a beginner, so looking for advice more than anything. And I know my shirts are shite... That is next on the agenda
devil.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics