• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A dissertation on Ice Cube's basketball skills as mentined in "It Was A Good Day"

King Salmon

Reaction score
In Ice Cube's 1993 hit "It Was A Good Day", he claims to have scored a triple double in a casual basketball game at the park.
Called up the homies and I'm askin y'all Which park, are y'all playin basketball? Get me on the court and I'm trouble Last week fucked around and got a triple double Freakin ****** every way like M.J. I can't believe, today was a good day
If you are not already familiar, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_double
A triple-double is a basketball term, defined as an individual performance in a game in which a player accumulates double-digit totals (i.e., 10 or more) in any three of these categories: points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocked shots. The most common way for a player to achieve a triple-double is with points, rebounds, and assists, though on occasion elite defensive players may record 10 or more steals or blocked shots in a game.
Have you ever wondered, then, just how this was possible, especially in the context of the casual street game Ice Cube was playing? Not only did he achieve this triple double he did so while just ******* around. Fucked around means to perform with out concentration. Yet he still was able to perform superlatively if one considers that often, if not typically, a street game will be to twenty or twenty one points. Sometimes, if more severe restrictions apply, the game will be played to ten, keeping in mind that shots made count as one point, and two from behind the respective 3 point line. For Ice Cube to make a triple double in either of these scenarios while ******* around would be to totally dominate in a game to twenty. He would have scored half the goals, assisted the other half, and likely rebounded, stole, or blocked as many shots as he scored. In a game to ten Ice Cube would have scored every point for his team, and likely performed magnificent defensive feats to achieve a triple double. Though the question persists as to how he could so exactingly tabulate his performance. Firstly, his performance on the court is demonstrative of his self-evident will: even if Ice Cube was not completely sure that he had exactly scored a triple double he would still be able to say with confidence that while ******* around he was the premiere player. Even if the other players were not completely sure that Ice Cube got a triple double they would still affirm they are mere bitches in his presence. Ice Cube is so badass that he need not even actually perform the task itself to claim this achievement. One can also consider that his claim about a triple double is a metaphor quantifying his degree of gangsta and that his proclamation of hard-assedness is uncontested by others. Secondly, if you were even close to be able to make the claim that while ******* around you got a triple double in the hood, then you would be damn sure that if you actually got a triple double you would rub it in everybody's ******* face. If there is a sucker ass on the court and Ice Cube blocks his first shot on the first possession of the game and takes it down court to dunk, you'll be sure as hell Ice Cube will be like "Damn that's one sucka ass fool. One block and one point for me, *****. Oh, I carry an AK." Humiliation is an integral if not essential element in the sociology of the street game. After Ice Cube steals the inbound pass and passes to his teammate for a layup Ice Cube will have one block, one point, one steal, one assist in only two possessions. So shortly into the game Ice Cube realizes he is the **** and will easily score a triple double. So after each advance in a respective category he makes a snide derogatory remark about the national origin or sexual proclivities of his opponents. Announcing publicly the fact that all he has to do is **** around to get a triple double thereby completely disgracing his opponents. I also want to dispel and lay to rest any concerns that Ice Cube was potentially being deceitful or exaggerating because there was no official impartial scorekeeper. The officialization of record keeping is just another way the white man relegates and reserves power only for the white-owned and controlled leagues.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe he's referring to getting In-N-Out burgers after the game.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick M
Maybe he's referring to getting In-N-Out burgers after the game.
And you're from Kangarooland? You clearly know too much and am making me hungry for something several thousands of miles away. Please cease and desist.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Please cease and desist.
4x4frywelllargedrinke43mz3.jpg

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cube got the Fatburger on that particular good day - not the In-n-out. Fatburger doesn't off a triple doube. The mystery continues...

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Bastard... This is the equivalent of psychological warfare. I can just smell it now.
So, this one:
25674505_c0a587fb1a.jpg
Or this one:
fatburger.jpg

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was getting hungry too.
There's an InNOut about 1 mile from here, but I think that one closes at midnight.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
street games, at least in l.a., go to either 11, 13, or 21 (win by 2). i have never heard of a street game that went to 10 or 20. perhaps they do things differently in alaska.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
street games, at least in l.a., go to either 11, 13, or 21 (win by 2). i have never heard of a street game that went to 10 or 20. perhaps they do things differently in alaska.

Most the street games I've played, we either went up to 11, 15, or 21, all win by 2. And 2 pointers are for pussies.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And another thing: Bad, bad Leroy Brown wasn't really all that bad, if you listen to the lyrics.

Unless they mean "bad at defending himself from one cuckolded husband".

What a pansy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads