• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excellent and Novel Nutrition book

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Got this recently, was really convinced by the research and arguments in the book, and feel like I have benefited greatly from the nutritional advice, and so passing on:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Health...7319053&sr=8-1

Cliff's Notes:

1) eat more fat
2) don't eat vegetable oils
3) don't eat cereal grains

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That book isn't being marketed very smartly or effectively.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just think it looks extremely "gimicky". The whole way it is presented: the cover, the title, the photograph. It just looks like some fad diet book. Now, I don't know precisely what content this book contains in specific. But based off of the three bullets you've made, I'm pretty much in agreement, fundamentally. There may be some valuable information in the book that people, like yourself, have, and could, benefit from. My point is that it is unfortunate that most of these books that promote a new way of thinking about diet and health are marketed in such a way as to divert skeptics, or the discerning public, from even buying the book in the first place, and perhaps learning a thing or two. It needs to be executed in a much different fashion.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You haven't seen photos of what I eat in the "What did you eat last night for dinner thread"? That's my fad diet.
smile.gif

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm, I think I sold it wrong with my bullet points - the book doesn't sell itself at all as a fad diet book. Although I can see how you'd think that from the cover. For instance, the emphasis is not at all on losing weight, but rather getting levels of macro and micronutrients that are likely to be healthiest based on the current state of knowledge from the scientific literature. The book itself is quite dense and scientific - there are 6-700 cites in the book - although the more technical matter is highlighted in gray boxes so that those who wish to avoid it can do so easily and without loss of continuity. Overall I think they do a pretty good job of summarizing and simplifying the biochemistry and statistics for a non-scientist reader.

Btw the authors run a blog as well for those who are interested:

perfecthealthdiet.com

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
Hmm, I think I sold it wrong with my bullet points - the book doesn't sell itself at all as a fad diet book. Although I can see how you'd think that from the cover. For instance, the emphasis is not at all on losing weight, but rather getting levels of macro and micronutrients that are likely to be healthiest based on the current state of knowledge from the scientific literature. The book itself is quite dense and scientific - there are 6-700 cites in the book - although the more technical matter is highlighted in gray boxes so that those who wish to avoid it can do so easily and without loss of continuity. Overall I think they do a pretty good job of summarizing and simplifying the biochemistry and statistics for a non-scientist reader.
See, that's what I was talking about. From the look of the cover and the way it is presented, no one is going to think that the book is at all credible. When, in fact, it very well may be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads