• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

bullswin

Reaction score
Tailoring questions:

- if I need my tailor to shorten the length of a sport coat (not the sleeve, but the body, perhaps by about 3/4 inch), how big of job is that? and what might be a ballpark price?

- for sleeve shortening -- assuming the cuff buttons are not functional and assuming the sleeve is overall fairly slim/tapered, what's the max length that a jacket's sleeves can be shortened (from the end, not from the shoulder)? Or is there no max (i.e., 3 or 4 inches is fine)?

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
When I'm faced with a decision like this where I actually like all of the available choices, I work in reverse and eliminate the one that appeals to me the least. So, in order of least appeal to me...

Number 4: I don't care for the end pieces and butt straps.
20tsbk8.jpg

Number 3: I don't like the bridge.
2hi5bpk.jpg

Number 2: This was tough because these look very sleek to me but...
1zbyuli.jpg

Number 1: The retro coolness of the tortoise shell rims speaks to me.
1zmmadv.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks Digmenow for your time, I was a bit surprised that the Vintage Cartier screw sunglasses ranked low, they were quite popular among the 80s movie stars.

ngbmrs.jpg

2e4fbwi.jpg

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr_Incognito
Thanks Digmenow for your time, I was a bit surprised that the Vintage Cartier screw sunglasses ranked low, they were quite popular among the 80s movie stars.

We aren't in the 80s anymore.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
We aren't in the 80s anymore.

Lately, I often have the feeling we re-entered the 80s.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what animal is yearling leather from?

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Lately, I often have the feeling we re-entered the 80s.

Brad Pitt agrees with you..

zwdeg3.jpg

and so do Dolce and Gabbana who copied this design minus the Cartier quality.

2zyj0xd.jpg

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bullswin
Tailoring questions:

- if I need my tailor to shorten the length of a sport coat (not the sleeve, but the body, perhaps by about 3/4 inch), how big of job is that? and what might be a ballpark price?

- for sleeve shortening -- assuming the cuff buttons are not functional and assuming the sleeve is overall fairly slim/tapered, what's the max length that a jacket's sleeves can be shortened (from the end, not from the shoulder)? Or is there no max (i.e., 3 or 4 inches is fine)?

Shortening the length of the coat 3/4 inch should be no problem provided the coat has not been shortened before. The cost should be $60.

I've had my sleeves shortened 1-2 inches in the past and would assume if everything else fits shortening them 3-4 inches should be no problem but I'm not a tailor.

YahtzeeFish

Reaction score
looking for comfy undershirts. I was told that if I open up my collar a bit I needed a v-neck. I like american apparel, are there other alternatives? and is that v-neck thing true?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr_Incognito
I liked the general look of the Cartiers but not the screws. Seems contrived. They do appear dated to a specific decade but I'll admit that I was unaware of their history.

jinrtp

Reaction score
It's been 20 years since I wore jeans. My legs are not straight and it look bad with Jeans. So I wear Khaki pants with sharp lines with iron. It looks very old style.

Is there any way I can wear a pair of pants casual? What kind of pants style or brand would you recommend.

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
Sorry if this has been answered many times before...but is it ok to wear a pocket square without a tie? I like wearing jackets and would like to start incorporating PSs for a flash of color, but I don't have many occasions that would warrant a tie....

-check out this thread

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YahtzeeFish
looking for comfy undershirts. I was told that if I open up my collar a bit I needed a v-neck. I like american apparel, are there other alternatives? and is that v-neck thing true?

All cotton whatever from your local department store, and yes, if you open the collar you need a v neck. Otherwise you see the white tee shirt poking out, and it just looks sloppy.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding linen pocket squares that aren't showy. Anyone know where I can get some simplified and humble ones? I'd really like a white one with a navy blue pattern. Something like this but inverted.
berg4.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads