• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saint Crispin vs Vass

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I think St. Crispin are "prettier" overall and have that lovely sole and waist finishing that Vass lack, but I think the price difference if far more significant to me than the quality and styling differences.

+1 That about says it...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I think St. Crispin are "prettier" overall and have that lovely sole and waist finishing that Vass lack, but I think the price difference if far more significant to me than the quality and styling differences.
Also, the antiquing. Does Vass do antiqued finishes anyway? I haven't seen it

brescd01

Reaction score
I think asking the REASON that one pair of shoes from one manufacturer costs different from a pair of shoes from a different manufacturer is kind of a pointless question. You can ask whether the difference is worth it to you, but each manufacturer has his own business model and costs. Someone, for example, might charge twice as much because his labor costs are so high, for precisely the same shoe. I doubt Carr looked at EG, said his shoes are twice as good, and priced them THAT way!

I have four pairs of Vass. Absent going to Hungary, they are very difficult to deal with. I have not had the sizing problem. I do not like a pair of blucher boots I bought, which are not comfortable due to the stiffness of the leather and their being above my ankle.

I just ordered a pair of Saint Crispin's for the princely sum of 1010 euros with delivery but without trees. I hope they are worth it. I went to Brasov to be fitted and dodged all sorts of vamipires and bandits.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
sure, but why don't you compare it to EG top drawer or JLP prestige?

Cuz JLP Prestige and EG TD > ...

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brescd01
I think asking the REASON that one pair of shoes from one manufacturer costs different from a pair of shoes from a different manufacturer is kind of a pointless question. You can ask whether the difference is worth it to you, but each manufacturer has his own business model and costs. Someone, for example, might charge twice as much because his labor costs are so high, for precisely the same shoe. I doubt Carr looked at EG, said his shoes are twice as good, and priced them THAT way!

I have three pairs of Vass. Absent going to Hungary, they are very difficult to deal with. I have not had the sizing problem. I do not like a pair of blucher boots I bought, which are not comfortable due to the stiffness of the leather and their being above my ankle.

I just ordered a pair of Saint Crispin's for the princely sum of 1010 euros with delivery but without trees. I hope they are worth it. I went to Brasov to be fitted and dodged all sorts of vamipires and bandits.

So people are comparing 1000 euro shoes with 500 euro shoes in this thread?

tsasls

Reaction score
I believe the cost difference may be due to the lower cost of production in Hungary[non EU] of Vass compared to the Austrian retail location of St. Crispins. Having multiple pairs of both makers,the Vass are the better value.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
FWIW, of the 10+ pairs of Vass I've purchased I ended up reselling all but 2 pairs on B&S, due to the significant variability in sizing - even on the same last with the same material. Vass are lovely shoes, but I've given up due to the sizing and consistency issue.

+1000

I've also had major issues with Vass sizing and as a result have stopped purchasing them. It's a shame since they are very well made shoes.

uniesse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShaneB
Just been informed that a shoe from Saint Crispin would set me back about £860,

Conversely a shoe from Vass would set me back about £420,

I was surprised about how much the Saint Crispin shoes are; is there a noticeable difference in quality / construction? I'm guessing from all the praise that the difference is nominal (if at all existent)? I think I'll probably stick with Vass - what are others' opinions?

Where do you get Vass for this price?

I'd have thought 500 pound was more on the money.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
price this blah blah price that blah

MOAR PICS

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsasls
I believe the cost difference may be due to the lower cost of production in Hungary[non EU] of Vass compared to the Austrian retail location of St. Crispins. Having multiple pairs of both makers,the Vass are the better value.

Both Vass and St. Crispin are EU products - Vass in Hungary and StC in Romania - members of the EU since 2004 (HU) and 2007 (RO).

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
+1 That about says it...
+2 I visited Vass about five years ago . Most of their shoes are in a sturdy Mittel- Europa style, which I really like. St Crispins from their catalog, and the few pairs I've see "in person" are sleeker and more "stylish"

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... FWIW, of the 10+ pairs of Vass I've purchased I ended up reselling all but 2 pairs on B&S, due to the significant variability in sizing - even on the same last with the same material. Vass are lovely shoes, but I've given up due to the sizing and consistency issue.

This is very distressing to hear.....
frown.gif

Sebastian

Reaction score
After all I have seen, SC have a nicer finish, sole treatment etc., maybe also slightly nicer leathers.

The question is, if that makes up for the price difference. And there is only a very personal answer to that question... That said, the price-quality ratio of Vass is hardly to beat IMO.

Regarding the styling issues:
You can't compare the classic Austrian lasts of Vass to the lasts SC uses. This would mean comparing apples to oranges. You have to compare SC-lasts to the F and the U last. IMO the rounded SC last is spectacular and nicer than the F last. But personally I think SC screwed up designing their chiselled last. I would take the U last over that anytime.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In addition, I prefer the fit of St. Crispin's, and the hollowed trees are ideal for travel. FWIW, of the 10+ pairs of Vass I've purchased I ended up reselling all but 2 pairs on B&S, due to the significant variability in sizing - even on the same last with the same material. Vass are lovely shoes, but I've given up due to the sizing and consistency issue.

I was in the same situation with Vass, although I only had experience with the U last. I don't think I own any anymore, may have a pair left from 6-8 pairs that I originally owned. That being said, I will try the F last.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I was in the same situation with Vass, although I only had experience with the U last. I don't think I own any anymore, may have a pair left from 6-8 pairs that I originally owned. That being said, I will try the F last.
If you like the F last, try the StC Classic last, which may be the most beautiful smart round toe I've seen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads