• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen sportscoat with peak lapels?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! Near unanimity of opinion so far! (and it isn't even a black suit thread)

I wouldn't want to go with a DB linen jacket or a 3-piece suit, since I want something to wear in warm weather. I'd also hate to see it end up as a kitty litter box. I'll probably forego peak lapels and also the hacking pockets, as Jan reminds me of their origin. However, I _am_ tall and thin, so I like horizontal details like ticket pockets. I don't recall ever seeing a ticket pocket combined with patch pockets, so I'm not even sure it can be done. Also, if I go with patch pockets, are patch-and-flap pockets OK with linen?

Thanks for the great input. It's nice to know I have a dependable check on my crazy ideas right here.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Where is it from? Do you think it looks good?
smile.gif

It's from Oxxford. I have several vested suits that I ordered under the influence of 'Chariots of Fire', 'Brideshead Revisited" and various Merchant & Ivory productions. They look great but my body runs a bit warm, so I'm prone to overheating.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I don't recall ever seeing a ticket pocket combined with patch pockets, so I'm not even sure it can be done. .

I've seen a patch ticket pocket, quite unique.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I've seen a patch ticket pocket, quite unique.

So I guess the question is, would it look OK on a linen jacket?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen an actual patch ticket pocket. I have seen it depicted in AA illustrations, however. I have never been able to warm up to it.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I don't think I've ever seen an actual patch ticket pocket. I have seen it depicted in AA illustrations, however. I have never been able to warm up to it.

I've never seen one in real life, but seems like I've seen a picture of one. Quirky. Reminds me a bit of the ticket pocket placement on Get Smart's Thick as Thieves suits.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
barberaticket.JPG

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to add several lightweight jackets to my wardrobe, so I've been thinking about having a linen jacket made. I truly like one-button, peak lapel styling and I'm considering this style in cream or tan linen, with side vents, a ticket pocket, and hacking pockets. Since linen is inherently casual, would this styling be too much of a mongrel to look good? Keep in mind that I would select a fabric with enough texture to avoid its being mistaken for a dinner jacket. Of course, a conservative, consistent styling option would be 2-button jacket with notch lapels, patch and flap hip pockets, and patch breast pocket, but why not be adventurous?

Also, what other options are available for lightweight jackets, keeping in mind that I'm not a big fan of seersucker (vertical stripes on tall, thin guys don't look great).

What is the collective wisdom of the forum? I'd like to know your opinions.

Ordinarily I would be skeptical bu a friend of mine got a cream (like that British Egyptologist shade) linen suit with peak lapels. It looked very good. Probably because it is unexpected. Is it a mongrel? Hmm, maybe but if it looks good so who cares? I think it's OK for an odd jacket too. But why wouldnt you get a suit?

Are peak lapels too formal for the linen jacket? Perhaps but like a DB seersucker, there is something natty about that sort of attention to detail on something which is basically to fend off the heat.

Patch pockets with a peak lapel are ordinarily a no no but maybe this would also be natty for this jacket.

Hacking pockets would be pushing it, unless they are your signature. Also, I believe those make you look taller. One thing, my tailor says they usually only look good on people with the English posture which is ramrod straight.

I would say the ticket pocket is more a mistake. I would say two buttons too. Te buttons will offset some of the expanse of tan linen which wouldnt be as big of an effect on a dark suit.

I think a SB peak with normal pockets (no ticket pocket) is exciting enough or patch pockets if you like.

The patch ticket pocket is interesting but maybe not for this jacket.

I don't quite understand picking a linen with texture so that it isnt mistaken for a dinner jacket. Were you thinking of an Irish linen in a 10 oz? No one is going to think that's a dinner jacket if it's two button. I have a hard time believing anyone would think it a DJ anyway, unless you wore a formal shirt and black/blue bowtie with midnight blue pants with cummerbund, black silk braid and pumps. Presumably youll be wearing this jacket with grey or olive or khaki green wool or linen pants?

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to sound a note of contrarianism here. Part of having one's own style is being able to operate outside the "rules" in a tasteful way. While my taste in summer jackets is more half-lined wool frescoes than linen, I think a linen peaked lapel (with, as others have noted, Jil Sander-style thin peaks) with patch pockets and a patch ticket pocket would be an absolutely kick-ass jacket. I'd go more darker than cream, but that probably depends more than anything on your complexion. (The darker you are, the lighter you can go with the jacket.) I think the bigger concern than it being out of date is that you might wear the thing until it's in tatters. FNB's suggestion of a two-button is a good idea. And maybe on the sleeves do two buttons as well, spaced vintage BB style.

And thanks, gdl203, for that picture. Would you happen to have any other shots of that jacket you can post? I once saw a patch ticket pockets like the one posted (except on the other side) on an RTW Attolini, and I decided that I had to have something like that in my wardrobe but haven't gotten around to it yet. Alas, that was before camera phones, so I never got a shot of it. I'm going to print that picture and take it with me when I visit Knize this summer for my wedding stroller. Maybe I'll do the Stresemann at Knize but try Netousek or Peppino for the sportcoat...

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is the problem with peak lapels with the move to 30s vintage looks?

You could have MTM in BKK from one of those tailors who are offering Irish linen.

Winot

Reaction score
Wow! Near unanimity of opinion so far! (and it isn't even a black suit thread)

I wouldn't want to go with a DB linen jacket or a 3-piece suit, since I want something to wear in warm weather. I'd also hate to see it end up as a kitty litter box. I'll probably forego peak lapels and also the hacking pockets, as Jan reminds me of their origin. However, I _am_ tall and thin, so I like horizontal details like ticket pockets. I don't recall ever seeing a ticket pocket combined with patch pockets, so I'm not even sure it can be done. Also, if I go with patch pockets, are patch-and-flap pockets OK with linen?

Thanks for the great input. It's nice to know I have a dependable check on my crazy ideas right here.

thinman - if it helps, I started a similar thread on AAAC.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
I'm going to sound a note of contrarianism here. Part of having one's own style is being able to operate outside the "rules" in a tasteful way. While my taste in summer jackets is more half-lined wool frescoes than linen, I think a linen peaked lapel (with, as others have noted, Jil Sander-style thin peaks) with patch pockets and a patch ticket pocket would be an absolutely kick-ass jacket. I'd go more darker than cream, but that probably depends more than anything on your complexion. (The darker you are, the lighter you can go with the jacket.) I think the bigger concern than it being out of date is that you might wear the thing until it's in tatters. FNB's suggestion of a two-button is a good idea. And maybe on the sleeves do two buttons as well, spaced vintage BB style.
+1 on the contrarian impulse, +1 on two buttons...hell +1 on all of it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
barberaticket.JPG

No, the ones I mean had a ticket pocket on the right side, 100% visible above the main pocket. Like this, but a jacket:

march35overcoatcopy7tmbw6.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads