• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Confidentiality of a job application

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When looking for a new job while employed, can you presume that a job application will be treated confidentially by a prospective employer? I would think so but I don't have much experience job-hopping. It seems awkward to bring it up in a cover letter but I would hate for my current employer to get a phone call asking about my performance or something. It seems that most people in this situation wouldn't want their employer knowing that they're shopping around. Thoughts?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Most situations they will not contact your current employer initially.

If you make it to interview then nine times out of ten you will have to nominate your current supervisor as a referee. And they will ask you if they need to speak to you first before contacting them.

This will at least give you some time to broach the subject with them.

Another option is to go through an agency one who will not charge you but the employer they are working for. That way you can test the market and see how your skills fare with prospective employers.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
If you make it to interview then nine times out of ten you will have to nominate your current supervisor as a referee. And they will ask you if they need to speak to you first before contacting them.

I have to disagree with this. Most hiring companies understand that it's a delicate situation on the other side and will not contact your current company without explicit permission. Few will 'require' a referral from your current employer - the odds are just too high that it creates a tough situation.

The real risk is if somebody from Company A knows somebody at Company B and lets it slip in passing.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
I have to disagree with this. Most hiring companies understand that it's a delicate situation on the other side and will not contact your current company without explicit permission. Few will 'require' a referral from your current employer - the odds are just too high that it creates a tough situation.

The real risk is if somebody from Company A knows somebody at Company B and lets it slip in passing.

Maybe its different where you are but here in Oz its a requirement to contact your current supervisor, after the interview and if your the preferred candidate, how else will they be a able to confirm the claims you make at interview and in your application?

Mind you the employment market here is in much better shape than in other parts of the world.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any company that would call your current employer without explicit permission isn't a company you want to work for. Don't mention it in your cover letter.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never encountered a situation where a company will contact your current employer just for submitting a resume/application.

Where the prospective employer is the government all have contacted my curent employer after I was the preferred applicant. No private employer ever asked for any 'referral" from my current employer except for one that verifed my employment.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information guys. I'm reassured.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Maybe its different where you are but here in Oz its a requirement to contact your current supervisor, after the interview and if your the preferred candidate, how else will they be a able to confirm the claims you make at interview and in your application?

Mind you the employment market here is in much better shape than in other parts of the world.

In the United States, most employers won't officially confirm anything except dates of employment, title, and salary, so there's not much to gain by calling them. We use the interview process itself to judge veracity of claims; but the risks in hiring the 'wrong' person are much lower, because it's so easy to let somebody go.

Jangofett

Reaction score
As a matter of common sense, the company should not contact your present employer since your leaving is a delicate situation.

But I could not be sure that will never happen and some wiseguy may just make a call to your company to ask about you generally.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
In the United States, most employers won't officially confirm anything except dates of employment, title, and salary, so there's not much to gain by calling them. We use the interview process itself to judge veracity of claims; but the risks in hiring the 'wrong' person are much lower, because it's so easy to let somebody go.

Er, wont you ask a referral from the ex employer to determine if the candidate is a screw up?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
Er, wont you ask a referral from the ex employer to determine if the candidate is a screw up?

They usually ask would you hire them again and gauge the timing of the response.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads