• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
That might have been me, although my suit was more mid-grey.
Yeah..with a solid navy tie?

What shoes were they?

And when did Tapatalk support SF? Woo-hoo!

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Yeah..with a solid navy tie?

What shoes were they?

And when did Tapatalk support SF? Woo-hoo!

Nope, I had a black and white patterned tie on that day, IIRC.

Been using Tapatalk to browse SF for a while now. I just added it to Favourites, and it seems to work just fine.

quar

Reaction score
I was thinking about emailing Napoli Su Misura to see how many orders would be required to convince them to visit Melbourne / Sydney. I guess this is a hoop-dream, but would any of you guys be interested (and willing to put a deposit down) to secure a visit (and some Neapolitan goodness)?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
We really are going to have to have that coffee. I walk past your building twice a day.

Greg better do it quick mate! I have just taken up a new role with our new overlords at AMP and will be starting in late June, which means I have to move out further into Docklands (i.e. behind the NAB building).

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the more reason to obsess over our ex. We have yet to find a new love in our life.

Customers?
blush.gif

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Fridays Australian Wish magazine the bespoke articles mentioned the book Savile Row: The Master Tailors of British Bespoke by James Sherwod.

Has anyone read this? I would be interested in any opinions on it as I am contemplating buying it.

Last year I read Bespoke: Savile Row Ripped and Smoothed by Richard Anderson which I found informative and entertaining. And would be interested in any other books people could recommend on mens fashion particularly those with a strong historical focus.

__PG__

Reaction score
Ok I need some advice regarding starch and wing collars. I have an older Tuxedo shirt that was bought pre-SF. Having said that is is not too heinous. It has a pleated bib with a fly front and a wing collar.

My question is what is the best strategy to make the collar as stiff as possible? Should I start starching it now and repeat this a few more times before I wear it in a few weeks? Or just starch the hell out of it on the day?

I have a can of Crisp spray starch. Do I need something stronger to get the job done?

bhall41

Reaction score
I can recommend "Gentleman: A Timeless Fashion" by Bernhard Roetzel. Should be in print still available. Dodgy cover.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Ok I need some advice regarding starch and wing collars. I have an older Tuxedo shirt that was bought pre-SF. Having said that is is not too heinous. It has a pleated bib with a fly front and a wing collar.

My question is what is the best strategy to make the collar as stiff as possible? Should I start starching it now and repeat this a few more times before I wear it in a few weeks? Or just starch the hell out of it on the day?

I have a can of Crisp spray starch. Do I need something stronger to get the job done?

Years since I starched anything. Can't remember about the spray. The best shirt starch is rice starch - mix it up with water - warm to hot - and soak shirt - then iron.

Starch makes things look crisp and clean and with a slight sheen. It also stops dirt and grime from getting into the collar (or any) material. Starch washes out.

I've no idea if you can even buy starch these days.

Some would argue that a wing collar is too old school, belongs with white tie, and is costume these days with black tie. Turned down collars are more than acceptable with black tie these days.

It's a very rare black tie event I've ever been to that more than 50% of the men were in a dinner suits and black tie anyway - so I doubt anyone will care about a winged collar. Possible even most people think a winged collar is correct.

__PG__

Reaction score
Thomas Pink slim-fit Marcella shirts (with turndown collars) are on sale at DJ's for $130.

The TM Lewin versions are available on-line for $80 plus postage.

But the wife has vetoed any evening shirt purchases. I just bought a new tux two weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads