• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone familiar with Boise, Idaho?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently had an (unsolicited) job offer in Boise. While I'm not seriously considering it my interest was peaked a little by the fact that the town has gotten a fair amount of press for being "livable", the weather looks ideal and I presume the cost of living would be cheaper than Austin. The downside would be that I'm a downtown city center kinda guy and it doesn't look real promising.

dannynoonan

Reaction score
Boise is a great city. Great weather. Safe. Outdoor stuff right out the door. Good bands come through regularly. Good schools. Good food. Inexpensive to live here. What are you curious about?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dannynoonan
Boise is a great city. Great weather. Safe. Outdoor stuff right out the door. Good bands come through regularly. Good schools. Good food. Inexpensive to live here. What are you curious about?

Haha, good question. Maybe I should have just made a "should I move to Boise"? poll. Basically, I've lived in Austin for 20 years and while it's been an ideal place to spend my 20's and 30's the heat/humidity is brutal, my property taxes are insane and schools are hit and miss. I should probably just check it out sometime on the way to Sun Valley. The things I'd place the most value on are good local agriculture, restaurants, young/educated population, schools and outdoor rec.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know nothing about it, but I find it funny that a friend just told me that her son has a girlfriend from Boise today. I don't think I have ever heard the city mentioned before and heard it twice in one day today

dpw

Reaction score
my brother lived there for a short time. great outdoor life w/golf, camping, mtn and road biking galore. skiing close by. food culture is improving. university in town so that is available to you.
climate is great, warm not hot in summer. not too cold in winter. loads of 20's and 30's around working in tech.

you are isolated from metropolitan usa but many go there for that very reason. conservative politics. cost of living is reasonable so great place to save some money, buy a first house.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decent place. Blue football field.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lotta White Folks. Just sayin.

dannynoonan

Reaction score
I don't know that I've ever noticed a strong Mormon presence here. I do live close to the temple. I generally find Mormon folks to be pleasant so maybe they don't stand out to me.

The white thing is pretty spot on. Not a lot of racial diversity around here.

Very Republican.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dannynoonan
I don't know that I've ever noticed a strong Mormon presence here. I do live close to the temple. I generally find Mormon folks to be pleasant so maybe they don't stand out to me.

The white thing is pretty spot on. Not a lot of racial diversity around here.

Very Republican.

OK so this was sort of in the back of my mind. I was in SLC recently on business and found it to be surreal. Not the mormans, but the fact that the "hipsters" were the lame kind that hadn't even discovered handlebar moustaches yet. I love to hate this subculture but I need to keep breaking new ground with them, not go back in time.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Idaho is full of LDS. Lots of them basically from Arizona straight up to Alberta. Whenever you're near the I-15, you're near Mormons. Good people though, I find.

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Idaho is full of LDS. Lots of them basically from Arizona straight up to Alberta. Whenever you're near the I-15, you're near Mormons. Good people though, I find.

I agree. I didn't mean to malign them in my above post.
When I interviewed for a job out there, I was told it was approximately 25-35% LDS. Which is ok.
Some folks have a hard time with them.
Live and let live.
I had a lab bench partner who was Mormon......he was a totally awesome dude.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads