• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW Chan, Basic Questions

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
sorry to revive a very old post, but this is exactly what i was curious about..

how long in HK do i need for some ww chan suits with proper fittings (all fittings and dont want to rush work and compromise end product). i'm thinking to go to see chan but want to work out a budget (hotels/flights/food) for the time i'll be there to see how many suits/shirts needed to make this a worthwhile trip. i know i can email chan, but i'd rather have the opinion of some forumites who have done the trip

for my next suits debating between graham browne london or a chan trip, so just trying to figure out how much proper chan trip will cost! without crunching numbers i'm guessing a week trip would cost around 1k GBP (flights from london, transfers, hotels, food, entertainment), so i'm thinking 2-3 suits + shirts and this trip starts to make more financial sense..? also have to take the business days off work as no excuse to be in HK unfortunately

Call them. They definitely know..
lol8[1].gif

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was there in 2010 it took one week:

Day 1: Selection of fabric/style/details and taking of measurements
Day 2-4: I went to Macao. Else the first fitting could have been done earlier
Day 5: Basted fitting
Day 6: Next fitting
Day 7: Final fitting and pick-up

I'd only have them one suit and one shirt made. If you need some adjustments they can optimize the paper pattern and once they have this locked-in it is easy to order additional suits and shirts via phone or email (as long as your body shape does not change). So when allocating travel cost you should not only consider the item you purchase during this trip, but also your follow-on purchases.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Better question: "How long does it take Ambrosi to make a pent."

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tchoy
+1 Best to call them. They are a lot busier than before.

hmm fair point. i hesitated in calling because i thought they may just make it work irrespective if i was planning a 10 day trip, or a 3 day trip..
i wanted to avoid a rushed end product on somethign i'll wear for many years

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had a suit in made 5 days. A friend of mine just came back from HK and he is a regular Chan client and was told they won't be able to make a suit in week due to a back log of orders.

They will be able to give you a multiple fittings and ship the finish suit to you. Also make sure you to order the fabric before hand.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
the other question i was hoping for help with..

cost (outside of flights) for a week or so in HK...average hotel/food while i go through fittings..

i have to add this into my budget obviouly..

good point on getting 1 suit and making adjustments, although i would almost prefer to have them all doen at once rather than be shipped a suit that may or may not work with the adjustments to the pattern

vinveritas

Reaction score
Am curious if there is a sacrifice in the quality of the workmanship and final product if the Chan suit is made in five days as opposed to the suit not being rushed for completion in that period? Thanks

dbc

Reaction score
the other question i was hoping for help with..

cost (outside of flights) for a week or so in HK...average hotel/food while i go through fittings..

i have to add this into my budget obviouly..

good point on getting 1 suit and making adjustments, although i would almost prefer to have them all doen at once rather than be shipped a suit that may or may not work with the adjustments to the pattern

It depends on what you want to do/where you want to stay/what you want to eat.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
It depends on what you want to do/where you want to stay/what you want to eat.

just an average hotel, nothing fancy...
same goes for food..just casual places'

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hotels range from half way cheap to luxurious and expensive. Prices also depend on travel dates. Hard for anybody on the forum to tell you this - especially since there are easy-to-use sites like www.expedia.com, www.travelocity.com which give you the answer in the same time it takes to post a question here ;-)

Food prices will depend if you insist on European fare or go with Cantonese/Chinese. European restaurants are usually more expensive whereas Chinese covers the whole range from cheap to expensive. In addition there are the usual US fast food chains which charge similar prices for their crap as anywhere else. Some information (prices in HK$) can be found here: http://wikitravel.org/en/Hong_Kong#Eat

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

dude....noone can honestly tell you how much you can spend on food not knowing what you can/want to eat. check out: virtualtourist.com for some ideas..

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heli0x
Does this mean everyone who gets their stuff made on tour is at a major disadvantage? Same price but no fittings (vs 3 if done in HK)? Or does it just mean the 3 fittings are purely extraneous?

You can do fittings for tour orders too, just gotta wait for Chan to come back to the US/UK which lengthens the process a bit.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexE
You can do fittings for tour orders too, just gotta wait for Chan to come back to the US/UK which lengthens the process a bit.

And you have to pay shipping both ways for the suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads