• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
loempiavreter the Kilburn Mob pic is still on here page 207.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Roy - amongst Della's press clippings would there be an article from the Daily Mirror in 1969 entitled 'No One Likes Johnny'? Or even the one which (to my eternal embarrassment) calls me 'King of the Skinheads'? (That took some bloody living down, I can tell you!).

Alex - either of those in your collection?

I will check Paul, she has given me that famous pic of the Boy and Girl in sheepskins from 69,

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
July 1969.

My recollection too. The journalist is apparently writing about an earlier era, as though 'mods' were wearing such things as wing tips and Harringtons long before and that such items of clothing were 'kidnapped by the skins'. He appears to be writing about '65 and '66. Unless his 'mods' are the older guys of our era who got out when all the 'mini-skins' came along. I don't know.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
loempiavreter the Kilburn Mob pic is still on here page 207.

It seems to have been deleted. No worries because I have kept a copy!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will check Paul, she has given me that famous pic of the Boy and Girl in sheepskins from 69,

Thanks mate. I wonder if I'll remember the 'famous pic of the Boy and Girl in sheepskins' when I see it.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re-posting the Kilburn lads.

The caption reads: "A raiding-party dressed for combat, average age 13".

uncommandoentenuedecombat.jpg

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Just looking at that pic of Della reinforces the fact that girls in the revival (with honourable exceptions like our own Little Queenie) seem to get the style and attitude totally wrong.

Why thank-you, Mr. Mystery.

loempiavreter

Reaction score
Cheers! Great picture as well! Sorry M-o-M not a member of that Shades Club site :/ Btw does anyone know what kind of fred perry polo's you was wearing? I've just come to the attention that they used to have different collars like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/vtg-60s-FRED-PER...ht_1850wt_1141 Did the collars already change after '67-'68 to the ones we see nowadays?

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
Yes,I believe they have-ask any Mod who was about in `62/63.They have taken bits and just shoved them together.Little Queenie apart(and I am not just saying this,as I know Her)other present day Skinhead Girls/Women would have been ribbed merciless by other Girls-by their Appearance.Look at Dana to see what I mean.

Thank-you, Mr. Brown - I will have to buy YOU a drink next time I see you!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by loempiavreter
Btw does anyone know what kind of fred perry polo's you was wearing? I've just come to the attention that they used to have different collars like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/vtg-60s-FRED-PER...ht_1850wt_1141

Did the collars already change after '67-'68 to the ones we see nowadays?

The FPs I wore did not have the semi-spearpoint collars as featured on that picture, neither did most of the other tennis shirts I had.

On the other hand in 67/68 there were other casual shirts, like the one worn by the lad on the left of this picture...

'The%20Smithies'%207.jpg

... which had a different type of collar. I had a thing like this in navy blue.

Little Queenie

Reaction score
This is Della August 69,

IMG_1009.jpg

What a lovely photograph, even if it wasn't of interest to us from a Skinhead point of view, it's very well taken.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks mate. I wonder if I'll remember the 'famous pic of the Boy and Girl in sheepskins' when I see it.

You will Paul. Because over night every one in the UK Wanted to be a Skinhead
laugh.gif

Little Queenie

Reaction score
More of Della,

IMG_1012.jpg

This looks suspiciously like one of those 'cheaper' shirts to me. Did girls have a different attitude to the lads as regards makes of shirts they would wear?

IMG_1013.jpg

Do you know when this one was taken?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Queenie
Thank-you, Mr. Brown - I will have to buy YOU a drink next time I see you!

Have you notice the Lad with the John Smedley type top and Gerry in the Kilburn mob has the same one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads