• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- BRAVO, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts tonight in between fumbles by the Force & Rebels.. Pray the Waratahs will play 2 halves later.
- now if only we could replace all the comic genius BS with your posts..

Originally Posted by jaypee
Were you watching the right game?

Force played out of their skin and came away with a great win

Yes the hard luck Harry's came on strong in that last twenty minutes. Gave up on the Rebels, just after haft time let the wife put on a chick flick. At first I thought at first they might have given the Stormers a run for their money. They were nothing special last week against the Canberra Comics, who sadly I think are in for a cricket score tonight against the Reds.

As for the Horrortahs, don't think they will be able to stop a Bulls stampede tonight, someone should start a move to get Michael Cheika drafted as coach for next year.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
"A bespoke suit will invariably be fastened at the cuff with four working buttons; the button closest to the cuff is usually worn unfastened".... [let me finish that for you]....

.... if you are a douchebag.

or think you are a former FIAT CEO with all a dat sprezzatura....

Lowly Public Servant

Reaction score
Some info for the Canberra guys.

A couple of weeks back I asked here where I might be able to get some shoes fixed in Canberra. Thanks to those that replied, I got a few good leads on places to try.

I ended up going to a shop called 'Joe's Boots' in Kingston. I think it is a family run small business and I am always willing to give these types of establishments a go.

To fix the shoes they had to glue and then restitch about half of the sole. The end result is that the sole is solidly back in place, though I have to admit that when looking at the bottom of the shoe the stitching does look a little ugly, but it also adds character. Best thing is that it only cost me $20 to get the repairs done.

Of course if the shoe begins to fall apart again then I will strike Joe's from my list of recommended repairers, but for the time being I am pretty happy with the results.

LPS
smile.gif

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in a Canon 450D dual lens kit?
Used for about 500 shots ha

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
Then Target announced that the wages have grown so much in China (PRC) that they are moving production to India/Bangladesh. Even the wages in western/outer provincial China!

Workers in China are starting to go on strike and campaigning for a (better?) minimum wage. Workers there are finally noticing what we have in the west and want it. This will, in future years, affect offshore production/manufacture in that country, and other companies will no doubt follow suit, over time, and move their facilities to other countries as Target is now doing.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- BRAVO, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts tonight in between fumbles by the Force & Rebels.. Pray the Waratahs will play 2 halves later.
- now if only we could replace all the comic genius BS with your posts..

Thanks.

I think its important to keep the Oz thread friendly for newbies. A refuge from the bombast and ignorance of the rest of SF.

There are particular problems here in Oz, that UK and USA don't have, with regard to choice of clothing and prices and I think given the obstacles we fight above our division in the sartorial stakes.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I highly recommend DAB+ Radio to those who can receive it. Distortion free, high quality (near CD) and no hiss or hum.

I now have 2 X Kogan Deluxe DAB+ (@$125 - $190 depending on day) and a Shinataro ($57). Even ABC Radio National and Local 774 are in stereo I noticed the other day.

There are many extra stations on DAB+ ABC has Jazz and Country as well as Classics.

I have all of them running into my stereo set ups through good amps and speakers in different rooms.

The Kogan also receives through Wi-Fi all internet stations (thousands) including BBC stations and great Cajun, Jazz , blues , all the great New Orleans and Louisiana community stations - whatever throughout the world. I can listen to my daughter's hometown stations in Kaohsiung, Taiwan if I want to (commercial radio there is no better than here) or my brother's Community Radio in Northern Scotland.

My current fave is SOMA Illinois - I like what they call Bachelor Pad and Lounge - I would like more Exotica - the Ms FXH prefers reggae and dub through PBS or various Reggae net stations.

The Kogans also will play from the computer files (all my bootleg live concerts etc) via wifi and they will play podcast directly off net.

In addition the Kogan is able to be used as a stand alone radio with good enough speakers of its own. The Shintaro has a speaker but a bit tinny.

The Shinatro will take batteries as well as plug in - the Kogans only work off the power but the Kogans also have an alarm and big time display, so you could use it as a great bedside.

Naturally all purchased online - Kogan from Kogan's own site - the Shintaro from Office works - all delivered next day by courier - Gerry Harvey - you big uncompetitive no service sook - eat your heart out.

edit:: I forgot URLs - and the Kogan takes an iPOD (not iGent) that I don't have but it does have a USB input -

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-w...docking-delux/

https://ugc.officeworks.com.au/answe.../questions.htm

edit:: the geek gossip has it that the Big W radio for $148 is the same as the Kogan with different box
http://www.bigw.com.au/electronics/a...with-ipod-dock

You can set up these net radios station list through http://www.wifiradio-frontier.com/ to save scrolling through thousands of stations on a small display screen. And depending on your ISP and plan confine yourself to quota free downloads.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
Did someone here suggest a decent an alerations guy in the NAB Docklands building a while back? I've searched but can't find it. If anyone can remember or find it, that'd be great. Cheers.
Ryan that was me. The guy is in the Myer building, opposite ANZ, in Collins St. His name is Sam. Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
I did see someone on Collins st in Docklands in a light grey suit and a pair of what looked like either 1) Loake Knightsbridge 2) C&J Rosemoor in brown.
That might have been me, although my suit was more mid-grey. Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Doug11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Can I highly recommend DAB+ Radio to those who can receive it. Distortion free, high quality (near CD) and no hiss or hum.

ummm - totally opposite experience with Digital Radio.

I bought a Roberts Brand (and have tried a friends Kogan) and not only was the quality not much better than normal Radio - but I got dropouts that were really annoying.

I had to put the radios in a particular place to get good reception, and if it rained there was no point in even trying.

And where do I live ?? some rural backwater ???? no, 7 kms East of Melbourne.

Very disappointed with the Digital radio hype.

Just my own experience.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doug11
ummm - totally opposite experience with Digital Radio.

I bought a Roberts Brand (and have tried a friends Kogan) and not only was the quality not much better than normal Radio - but I got dropouts that were really annoying.

I had to put the radios in a particular place to get good reception, and if it rained there was no point in even trying.

And where do I live ?? some rural backwater ???? no, 7 kms East of Melbourne.

Very disappointed with the Digital radio hype.

Just my own experience.

I guess it depends on where you are in relation to signal - I was having trouble with good reception on PBS and 3RRR and Radio National and occasionally ABC Classics and 3MBS - despite a "proper" loooong AM aerial and decent FM aerial both running outside. I have to have an electric booster on my TV aerial.
I was also getting a lot of hum/buzz on AM in my office setup.

All hum gone.

I'm around 14 ks east.

You should let the appropriate people know.

Map of current reception and transmitter areas for ABC:: http://www.abc.net.au/radio/digital/...ourne_DAB+.jpg

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
That might have been me, although my suit was more mid-grey

If it was a PoW it may have been me.

Doug11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I guess it depends on where you are in relation to signal - I was having trouble with good reception on PBS and 3RRR and Radio National and occasionally ABC Classics and 3MBS - despite a "proper" loooong AM aerial and decent FM aerial both running outside. I have to have an electric booster on my TV aerial.
I was also getting a lot of hum/buzz on AM in my office setup.

All hum gone.

I'm around 14 ks east.

You should let the appropriate people know.

Map of current reception and transmitter areas for ABC:: http://www.abc.net.au/radio/digital/...ourne_DAB+.jpg

I live in Hawthorn - so not too sure the coverage Map is that accurate.
Optus coverage map also has my house as strong signal, but I have to go up the backyard behind the pool to get proper coverage, whereas my wife's Telstra iPhone works perfectly (but I dislike Telstra so won't use any of their products).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads