• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone know how to fade clothing quickly?

Mark Bradford

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently found a bright-blue polo shirt in my closet and I remember that I never wore it because it was too brightly-colored for me but have considered wearing it if I could find a safe and quick of fading it without having to dry it in the sun day after day.

One friend of mine suggested boiling it but I'm too concerned about fabric damage.

Does anyone here know any other method that can be used to quickly and safely fade bright clothing without causing fabric damage?

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it machine washable? If so, I'd just throw it in the washing machine on the hot setting.

Originally Posted by Mark Bradford
Hi everyone,

I recently found a bright-blue polo shirt in my closet and I remember that I never wore it because it was too brightly-colored for me but have considered wearing it if I could find a safe and quick of fading it without having to dry it in the sun day after day.

One friend of mine suggested boiling it but I'm too concerned about fabric damage.

Does anyone here know any other method that can be used to quickly and safely fade bright clothing without causing fabric damage?

Mark Bradford

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
Is it machine washable? If so, I'd just throw it in the washing machine on the hot setting.

Will that shrink it or will clothing only shrink if it's washed and dried at a hot temperature?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Bradford
Google Tardis. Not widely available but if you can find one. You don't mention what the fabric is. You don't mention what quickly is. But you won't find anything that is really safe and quick. Clothes tend to be made to not fade quickly. Hang it up in the sun and turn it so the sun hits it evenly. Eventually it might fade.

Mark Bradford

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Google Tardis. Not widely available but if you can find one. You don't mention what the fabric is. You don't mention what quickly is. But you won't find anything that is really safe and quick. Clothes tend to be to not fade quickly. Hang it up in the sun and turn it so the sun hits it evenly. Eventually it might fade.
According to the tag it's 100% washable cotton that should be washed in cold water and ironed at a warmed temperature. When I mentioned quickly I was referring to a fading method that would only require a few hours if not a few days. I apologize for my vagueness.

jeanieouk

Reaction score
Does anyone know another way of quickly fading a bright-colored shirt that'll only require a few hours, if not days?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wash it with RIT Color Remover

OR

Sunlight Machine Dishwashing Powder

Marie Shanahan

Reaction score
I understand that it's an old post, but have found it trying to get the same info. Haven't tried this method, but it does look like it might work.

Take the top or pant, etc and put it in the washer machine on the hottest setting. When the cycle is 3/4 of the way finished, add 1 cup of pure, lemon juice.

Take the washed top and hang it in the sun for two days. Turn it every so often so that it's equally exposed.

After two full days, see if it's faded enough. If not, repeat the process. (You can use up to 3 cups of lemon juice if you want it very faded.)

Have no tried it yet as I just read it, myself, but I hope it will work!

Recently bought a very nice top online and while I love the material and fit, I am very unhappy with the pattern. It's GARISH and looked much more subdued, online. I love the fit too much to return it, so I have been hunting for ways to fade it.

Anyway. Hope you found the method that works for you and that the above was of some help.

Happy fading!! :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads