• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm having a problem with my new manager

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll pile onto those that feel he wasn't hired for technical skills but for a management skillset. I've always been more technical than managerial and I've hardly run into a manager that hasn't asked me a lot of technical questions.

What you're planning to do will probably come off as tooting your own horn

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebmk3891
Well, in a perfect world, he would fire him, but I don't mean the guy any harm (especially since he's expecting his first child in August). I would either hope that my boss already realizes that or that he would take my feelings into thought and assess himself. I guess ideally, I would like to see him move him to a different role.
Then I'd say just do your job.

If you're goal is to get this guy fired (or your desired result) .. it will be very obvious regardless of how you approach the problem. Any good manager will see your underlying motives, and you're going to come off as a petty jerk.

Just do your job. If it's obvious this guy shouldn't be your boss .. it'll come out eventually. And you'll be in a better place for it.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're missing another obvious complicator to the situation: "John" is either:
1. related to your boss; or
2. blowing him.

Do your job. Keep an eye open to other opportunities. "John" will probably **** up before long if he is incompetent.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
By the way, I was very disappointed that this thread was not started by Jon.

laugh.gif

or conne
confused.gif

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
No point taking a problem to your old boss without a solution too.

+1

One of my previous managers reacted to my analysis work with a cliche statement I never forget: "Don't come to me with problems, come to me with solutions!"

If I were you, I would first demonstrate and then propose to the director that you are not the type that needs to be managed and can work effectively without direction.

To demonstrate, you will basically manage your manager (what they call "managing upwards"). Think of this as a project management exercise and consider him as a stakeholder.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks - unfortunately, this company has a tendency to do that particularly on the development side. I was at a company for about 4 years and left ultimately because the company status was shaky. I took a job for 2 months before leaving because my manager was a blowhard. He was a very smart guy, but too much nagging. I had my doubts about how I'd work with him, but the recruiter I spoke with said he was a cool guy. Overall the recruiter was very honest about everything, but that last part.

Fortunately, my friend hooked me up with this job and I would feel terrible about leaving here in a couple months. Not the brightest people, but it's pretty laid back. I never put the 2 month job on my resume, but I'd hate to have this job on there for less than a year.

you sound like a *****.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
If I were you, I would first demonstrate and then propose to the director that you are not the type that needs to be managed and can work effectively without direction.

I don't really see how this works - everybody has to report to somebody. I think the OP just has an overly simplistic view of what his manager is supposed to be doing.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This is the main point of your post, IMO. You feel that he is not intelligent and offer up as proof the fact that he doesn't come from a webhosting background nor Windows server side. Intelligence is measured in more ways that one's knowledge in this area.

Originally Posted by globetrotter
his job isn't knowing more about your job than you, his job is managing. for whatever reason, management feels that he is suited to being your manager. he really doesn't have to know your job, or be very smart. if he can't manage you, that might be something else.

Listen to these two.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Not really sure who to ask, so I figure I'll give it a shot here since you're all the most level-headed people
smile.gif

He's a nice guy, but I just don't think i'd ever grab a beer with him. Am I overreacting?

So you are better than your direct boss. What else is new?

Unless you are fresh from college, most of us would in one way or in all ways, be better than the direct boss.

Unless you aim to get your direct boss fired and replace him, whats the point of ratting on him? What if he gets replaced by someone even shittier than before? Better the devil you know ...

Maybe your IT Director just wants someone to oversea you guys.
And your direct boss' qualifications to do so is some certs and a few years on you.
You should not neglect your direct boss may have 'soft skill' like man management etc even if he does not have the technical ability. Many CEOs are administrators and dont have the technical abilities in the industry.

But even if not and you are his superior in every way, thats just life.
If you cant stand it, you join another company or you start your own business.

You need to get some perspective and maturity about working life and its social dynamics.
If you are an eager beaver and want to have a good mentor to mentor you, unless the company already have one, the company will not move or fire your direct boss to hire one just for you.

Bitching about him or being a troublemaker would endear you to no one unless your direct boss is a crook.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
doing the grunt work, it's up to you to know the intricacies of your work. he just needs to know the basics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads