• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**The Official P90X Thread**

Opermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx
Don't really understand why it's ironic. Makes sense to me.

What's so good about P90X? Weightlifting is king, regimented cardio = too high opportunity cost for me.

It's good if you can't get to or don't like gyms. My friend did it for awhile and showed me a few workouts. They are intense and difficult. The learning curve is a little steep if you've never worked out before, but they include lots of bodyweight exercises so it can be very beneficial if you don't do them already. Pullups and dips will put a good bit of muscle on if you can't do them very well at first.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx
Don't really understand why it's ironic. Makes sense to me.

What's so good about P90X? Weightlifting is king, regimented cardio = too high opportunity cost for me.

It's awesome for the dilettantes of fitness. In 90 days you can go from plump to pretty cut. Perfect for people who want to see fast results and it motivates one to continue the program. This is the first time I've ever had the semblance of a six pack - I still have a bit of stomach blubber, but I've got a completely flat and tight stomach.

And you can do it from home - avoiding the driving, parking, sweaty equipment, and towel flicking so common to most gyms.

BlackToothedGrin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been doing it for about 3 months, only the last month have I been faithfully following it, and have added more than 5 pounds of muscle while losing some fat as well (I was already pretty thin to start). I consider myself a hard gainer but I have seen more shoulder and back development since starting than I ever did going to the gym. I attribute it to the intensity and sheer volume of pullups, pushups and shoulder press (just to name a few) it requires.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today will be the yoga day of my third week. I'm liking it so far though I am considering getting a set of adjustable dumbbells. I bought a set of 3 interchangeable bands from target but I am already using medium and heavy together for some of the exercises (and I am doing 12-15 reps). Unfortunately they seem to be either crappy and max out at 25 or really expensive compared to separate weights (which I don't have space for).

Second, I've been doing a thing of lowfat/nofat greek yogurt for extra protein after workouts (10-12g each). I don't really have the desire to buy whey protein/muscle milk/etc but I have seen mention of dairy being bad after a workout--is this true?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I bought a set of 3 interchangeable bands from target but I am already using medium and heavy together for some of the exercises (and I am doing 12-15 reps).
Another option is to buy an identical set of bands and double up - 2 of the black bands and 1 of the blue would offer a lot of resistance.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Another option is to buy an identical set of bands and double up - 2 of the black bands and 1 of the blue would offer a lot of resistance.

At some point this gets hard to step on with your foot though...and I would have to get some beefier handles (I fear that the plastic clips would break with that much weight...especially when pulled really far from the ceiling to simulate pullups). I might swap in some metal carabiners instead.

Also, some of the moves that require lifting from low kind of suck with the bands (like the crouching curls) since you have to use such a short chunk to get any tension.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
At some point this gets hard to step on with your foot though...and I would have to get some beefier handles (I fear that the plastic clips would break with that much weight...especially when pulled really far from the ceiling to simulate pullups). I might swap in some metal carabiners instead. Also, some of the moves that require lifting from low kind of suck with the bands (like the crouching curls) since you have to use such a short chunk to get any tension.
Until you come up with a solution you can get loads of tension, especially for Lawnmowers, by holding on to the end of the tubing rather than the handles.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in week 2 this week. Have been faithfully following the diet as well (except for yesterday, unfortunately) and am already seeing excellent results.

The bowflex adjustable dumbbells were on sale a few weeks ago...I'm really regretting not picking up a set. I've already maxed out the weight that I have.

steveoly

Reaction score
I bought Powerblock adjustable dumbbells and love them. My doorways are apparently too thick for pullup bars, so I double up on resistance bands for pullup exercises. Not quite the same, but it still works the muscles.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Until you come up with a solution you can get loads of tension, especially for Lawnmowers, by holding on to the end of the tubing rather than the handles.

Don't know why I didn't think of that...looks like it would solve several of my problems.

bjornb17

Reaction score
So i finished P90X classic about 3 weeks ago....

Started doing P90X lean, this time with my wife. about a week through it
smile.gif
Lost 15 lbs the first time, hope to blast another 10-15 lbs off the second time
smile.gif

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rich_202

The last month, I started to get bored with this program as well. By the end of the third month, I could hardly stand looking at Tony, and his pet Dreya. Seriously, I hate this guy now. His face, his attitude, his annoying way of trying to inspire you, his stupid love affair with Dreya and "Pam the Blam."
ffffuuuu.gif
I feel like a cast member in a soap starring Tony.

laugh.gif
Totally. He's annoying, almost like the Michael Scott of workout instructors.

Shiny

Reaction score
I wish that folks would post their before and after weights. I think for men 150lbs to 170lbs would be a good range (depends of height, i know). One guy posted a good review in another board and he was all gung how that he lost 20lbs and "looked cut." When pressed on his weight it was from 240 to 220 and he was 5'10". Come on, that's obese.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I skip YOGA/KEMPO for

Core,
chest-shoulders,tricepes,
back and biceps.

Should note its my second week of p90x and I'm doing doubles.

Trying to get results before going back to school. Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads