• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a 'signature-item'?

john_sf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Your average mugger has more experience in dealing with that kind of situations than you do and a knife is not exactly the best protective weapon in the world...
Exactly. This is the key point that everyone (including myself in years past) fails to grasp. Your IDPA matches train you for IDPA. Your Kali classes train you for Kali classes. Your dowel rod knife sparring trains you for dowel rod knife sparring. You have ZERO training in fighting for your life against a completely shameless, desperate, possibly psychopathic individual who *most certainly* has backup waiting in the wings. Just in case this information is incorrectly discounted, let me assure you - I am CCW/IDPA/Military/blah-blah-lifetime-martial-arts, and I am begging you, for the love of god, to do what I would do in situations like these: Drop the goods and run. (IDPA = International Defensive Pistol Association)

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
i think most level headed people with carry permits dont make it known that they carry. the idiots like the one in the story that publicize the fact they pack heat make everyone think all carriers are like that. just one more stereotype that is exacerbated by the extereme stupidity of the people that garner the most attention.

personally guns make me nervous, i would not carry. but the decent people i know that do carry i have no problem with. as an aside afaik they havent had to use it.

Well, the "idiot" in question was my ex room mate that I lived with for three years. He never liked people to know he carried a gun. I knew it because I lived with him but he would only tell a girlfriend after he knew her a while.

The guy was not walking around trying to find a fight. I just knew that he judgement level went down as he drank and his abrasiveness went up. I was just afraid that he would get into an altercation that would escalate and that is why I convinced him to not carry when we were stepping out for the evening.

Originally Posted by Jerome
This has turned into a very American discussion, it seems: 'Should I wear a weapon or not? Should I wear it more openly or not? What's up, folks? Howdy there, partner. Yihaa! etc..
wink.gif

Yes, we are all cowboys here. Excuse me, I need to go polish the gun rack in the back of my BMW.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Well, the "idiot" in question was my ex room mate that I lived with for three years. He never liked people to know he carried a gun. I knew it because I lived with him but he would only tell a girlfriend after he knew her a while.

The guy was not walking around trying to find a fight. I just knew that he judgement level went down as he drank and his abrasiveness went up. I was just afraid that he would get into an altercation that would escalate and that is why I convinced him to not carry when we were stepping out for the evening.

Yes, we are all cowboys here. Excuse me, I need to go polish the gun rack in the back of my BMW.

sorry no offence to your friend. he may be a great guy, and this story is a mere snipet of his life. but a person who knows they get beer muscles should have the common sence to know on their own not to bring their gun with them to the bar without having to be convinced by a friend.

this is one of the reasons people are anti gun. because some of the people who carry them dont know on their own when to carry and when to leave it in the house. he is lucky to have a good friend such as yourself. he might very well be dead or in jail without you.

btw, your bimmer has a gun rack, was that a custom option?
smile.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
sorry no offence to your friend. he may be a great guy, and this story is a mere snipet of his life. but a person who knows they get beer muscles should have the common sence to know on their own not to bring their gun with them to the bar without having to be convinced by a friend.

this is one of the reasons people are anti gun. because some of the people who carry them dont know on their own when to carry and when to leave it in the house. he is lucky to have a good friend such as yourself. he might very well be dead or in jail without you.

btw, your bimmer has a gun rack, was that a custom option?
smile.gif

He is my friend, but admitedly not the brightest. Notice he is my ex-room mate.

The gun rack was part of the Dinan stage 2 upgrade. Stage 3 has soccer mom seeking missiles.

J_Quinn

Reaction score
My new signature item is my Allen Edmonds Park Avenues with toe and heel taps. People ask mr if I'm trying to tap dance, a little annoying but what do they know. My other shoes without heel taps are wearing down whereas my PA's are fine!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by john_sf
Exactly. This is the key point that everyone (including myself in years past) fails to grasp. Your IDPA matches train you for IDPA. Your Kali classes train you for Kali classes. Your dowel rod knife sparring trains you for dowel rod knife sparring. You have ZERO training in fighting for your life against a completely shameless, desperate, possibly psychopathic individual who *most certainly* has backup waiting in the wings.

Just in case this information is incorrectly discounted, let me assure you - I am CCW/IDPA/Military/blah-blah-lifetime-martial-arts, and I am begging you, for the love of god, to do what I would do in situations like these:

Drop the goods and run.

(IDPA = International Defensive Pistol Association)

exactly. more than that is the mental attitude - a guy who has left the house that day planning on mugging is all reved up, you are walking and talking and thinking of other ****, and you think that you will suddenly become a killing machine. just not a reasonable expectation.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

john_sf

Reaction score
What is this ?
Anyone ? The weird black camera/flashlight/whatever device made by Canon ...

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
OaQJs.png

What is this ?
Anyone ? The weird black camera/flashlight/whatever device made by Canon ...
Canon RC-1 wireless remote control. Excellent for snapping leaping suede-shoes/blue pants pics during Netherlands-Uruguay WC matches, etc., etc.
smile.gif

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nutcrushers... my signature item. And a pocket square. For a 20-something guy in Philadelphia/Santiago, a pocket square is a rarity.

Hadrian

Reaction score
2crojgj.jpg

Dont wear them too much, just when I get impatient...

I have seen another sporting them only one time in my life.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
Canon RC-1 wireless remote control.
Excellent for snapping leaping suede-shoes/blue pants pics during Netherlands-Uruguay WC matches, etc., etc.
smile.gif

laugh.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That girl's testimony is fine and dandy, but let us not forget one simple thing. If guns weren't readily available, that wacko wouldn't have one in the first place and she would have no need to protect herself.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
That girl's testimony is fine and dandy, but let us not forget one simple thing. If guns weren't readily available, that wacko wouldn't have one in the first place and she would have no need to protect herself.

It would have been a bomb or something. Crazy people who wanna do crazy things will find a way to do them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads