• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique this jacket fit . . .

kdv10

Reaction score
Hello SFers,

I bought this cream linen jacket and would like your opinion if I should keep it or return it.

I would like to shorten up the sleeves a bit so that my cuffs are showing and perhaps narrow the sleeve just slightly.

I know the fit is not perfect, but the price was fantastic.

Anyways, opinions are appreciated on the fit.

Thanks!

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems the front balance is way too short. I would return it.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket too short (I can see your butt in the rearview pics), sleeves too long -> exchange it if possible

Btw: Nice shoes!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The overall length on your body type is fine. You need not alter the sleeves if you keep it.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not that short : /
especially for a summer jacket

kdv10

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
Seems the front balance is way too short. I would return it.
I was initially thinking the same thing and thought to post it to SF for further opinions.

Originally Posted by AlexE
Jacket too short (I can see your butt in the rearview pics), sleeves too long -> exchange it if possible

Btw: Nice shoes!

Unfortunately can not exchange for next size up as this is the last one. Thxs. Those are the lobb shoes I got at the Mr. Porter super-sale.

Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
The overall length on your body type is fine. You need not alter the sleeves if you keep it.

Thanks for suggestions. I have until tomorrow to return the item, so we'll see.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone thinks this very casual, unlined jacket is unwearable short...
confused.gif
Yet, no mention of how short above ankle jeans are or that the jacket shouldn't need the sleeve shorted as per the OP pics/notes. Getting the sleeve slimmed may be ok is not too aggressive, tread carefully. OP seems young-ish, and can likely get away with it for summer. I doubt his peers would care or notice about the length. If it were cheap as you say and like it, I'd say keep it and wear casually. Perhaps straighter leg jean with a lighter wash than the deep indigo.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
+ 1 Perhaps shorter than classic rules dictate (jacket covering entire buttocks), but this is not a formal jacket so would say you are within the range of tolerance - an inch to inch and a half short is not a crime when regarding an odd jacket / sport coat. Many very fashion forward brands often have models / actors / singers potrayed with a jacket / coat ending at or just above the belt. I hate this look personally, but someone in the fashion industry is trying to push this forward to the mainstream. A note on the style though - Im not sure Im fond of strong contrasts like dark colored jeans with very light colored jacket. In event of strong contrasts, I find it preferable to have darker colored jacket and lighter colored jeans / slacks. Am I the only one with this sentiment?

kdv10

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
It's not that short : /
especially for a summer jacket

Originally Posted by mlongano
The jacket is at least two inches short.

Thanks for your opinions. There are two school of thought going on.

Originally Posted by erdawe
Everyone thinks this very casual, unlined jacket is unwearable short...
confused.gif

Yet, no mention of how short above ankle jeans are or that the jacket shouldn't need the sleeve shorted as per the OP pics/notes. Getting the sleeve slimmed may be ok is not too aggressive, tread carefully. OP seems young-ish, and can likely get away with it for summer. I doubt his peers would care or notice about the length.

If it were cheap as you say and like it, I'd say keep it and wear casually. Perhaps straighter leg jean with a lighter wash than the deep indigo.

Good observation in regards to the jeans. This is a slim fitting, no break jean. Straight leg, lighter color jean would better balance the short jacket.

Originally Posted by Klobber
+ 1

Perhaps shorter than classic rules dictate (jacket covering entire buttocks), but this is not a formal jacket so would say you are within the range of tolerance - an inch to inch and a half short is not a crime when regarding an odd jacket / sport coat. Many very fashion forward brands often have models / actors / singers potrayed with a jacket / coat ending at or just above the belt. I hate this look personally, but someone in the fashion industry is trying to push this forward to the mainstream.

A note on the style though - Im not sure Im fond of strong contrasts like dark colored jeans with very light colored jacket. In event of strong contrasts, I find it preferable to have darker colored jacket and lighter colored jeans / slacks. Am I the only one with this sentiment?

+1 on your sentiment in regards to contrast. Unfortunately I was wearing this (dark slim jean + shirt) when I put on the jacket to snap a picture of fitment. Perhaps a lighter color trouser would make it blend better. I even thought of using this jacket with nice shorts. I've seen other online retailer pics of their models and short jackets and thought, this was just on the borderline of being not too short and not so hipster-ish.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is too short. There is not much, if anything, you can do about a coat that is not long enough.

Some like the too short look, but the button stance is too high for your body. So even if you are trying to go for the too short look, I don't think this coat will work.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's bordering on being too short, but not crossing that border. The fit is good overall. Take it to your tailor to clean it up a bit and shorten the sleeves. Wearing it with longer and lighter colored pants will hide the jacket's shortness further. I'd keep it for a younger "summer-y" look.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great jacket, I think it's about 1" too short, but I like it!

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! Sleeves seem a little billowy, but maybe I'm talking out ******? It is a little too short, but it may be just the way you're wearing you trousers? LOVE the shoes, though! *masturbating

ctp120

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Great jacket, I think it's about 1" too short, but I like it!

I also say it's about 1" too short, but the bigger problem is front balance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads