• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear shorts?

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I think that the intresting question is whether shorts can be made acceptable in this menswear section. It seems a little silly to me that shorts are considered a faux pas whereas wearing slacks and dress shoes without socks is fashionable. Ivy league campus pictures from the 50's and 60''s show lots of examples of men wearing shorts (my standard for preppy), often with loafers . Shorts are worn in summer actives, are the standard wear for backpacking/hiking. I think they represent more of a spring/summer option than hot weather option. They may not have their place in the office environment, or the more dressed up environment, but SF does have a decent amount of discussion of acceptable casual wear. Skinny, underdeveloped legs aren't going to look good, and should not be exposed out of politeness to others (just like some girls can expose their midriff and other should definitely not) but muscular well developed legs with no signs of aging certainly look fine.

JS1357

Reaction score
4b97a11f838b9bb3_j_crew_big_pic.preview.jpg

shorts are casual. keep things wrinkled and messy and you will be fine. think "shipwrecked". most attempt to dress up shorts will look bad.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carlisle Blues
PastedGraphic-2010-07-19-15-16.jpg

Nice day at a party......

Why the hell don't people buy shorts at the inseams they want. This rolled up looks is so feminine and affected. My shorts are 5-7 inches, and that's what I bought them at. If they came with a cuff that's fine, but this looks ridiculous. It's a good fit as a whole though otherwise.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JS1357
shorts are casual. keep things wrinkled and messy and you will be fine. think "shipwrecked". most attempt to dress up shorts will look bad.
Precisely the only occasion one should ever wear shorts.
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
Why the hell don't people buy shorts at the inseams they want. This rolled up looks is so feminine and affected. My shorts are 5-7 inches, and that's what I bought them at. If they came with a cuff that's fine, but this looks ridiculous. It's a good fit as a whole though otherwise.
Shorts are feminine and affected. Period.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Do you wear underwear? I don't believe it to be proper etiquette for a man to wear underwear; perhaps that is just because I am an old-fashioned curmudgeon. Maybe you can help to alter my opinion on this matter.

So, do you wear underwear?

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
Hows this:
RLPL shirt
Brioni tee
Hermes shorts
Cole Haan shoes
Advice appreciated.
m9a6T.jpg

oygjY.jpg

ieGFy.jpg

Would that be a black belt with brown shoes? My golfer tan is too bad to go sockless making it difficult for me to dress up my shorts.

Stokely

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321

So says the cute M&Ms.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
Do you wear underwear? I don't believe it to be proper etiquette for a man to wear underwear; perhaps that is just because I am an old-fashioned curmudgeon. Maybe you can help to alter my opinion on this matter. So, do you wear underwear?
I wear boxers to help keep my sperm-count elevated. Not that that really matters, though. I wouldn't dare bring a child into a world full of men that wear shorts in public.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For heaven's sake...

You talk bollocks.

poissa

Reaction score
Shorts only when I'm on the hardwood courts or on clay. It's my opionion that they don't look good on most people, myself included. I live in Washington D.C. fwiw, I'm no stranger to the dog days of summer.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I wear boxers to help keep my sperm-count elevated. Not that that really matters, though. I wouldn't dare bring a child into a world full of men that wear shorts in public.

This person obviously doesn't understand that wearing shorts is a genetically inherited trait. His are the sperm that could transform the men of this planet, eliminating the plague of males shorts forever. Yet he speak loudly but carries a small stick. I say to you sir, put up or shut up. Thousands of women would beg for your seed not to give birth to male offspring predisposed to wearing shorts, and you, with your million salvation bullets, sit on the sidelines. I know, I wear shorts, shorts with white socks and athletic shoes, shorts with sports jackets (only twice actually, but it does ensure eternal damnation, for God forgives all sin except shorts), its a dreadful affliction.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It is 79° right now on the Plains. High humidity, not a cloud in the sky. In addition, unlike almost every other day of the year, there isn't a breath of wind.

I am wearing shorts AND flip-flops today.
I wear them almost every day all summer long. Our winter here lasts for ******* ever, and when summer finally arrives, I do not want to be cocooned.

JS1357

Reaction score
Talented Mr. Ripley is great for summer inspiration

The+Talented+MR.Ripley%5B1999%5D.jpg

jsyqvseucwb7svus.jpg

talented-ripley.jpg

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
It's my opionion that they don't look good on most people, myself included.
Yes, they truly don't; I feel most are in denial. At least you are sober enough to admit it.
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
(for God forgives all sin except shorts)
+1
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
It is 79° right now on the Plains. High humidity, not a cloud in the sky. In addition, unlike almost every other day of the year, there isn't a breath of wind. I am wearing shorts AND flip-flops today. I wear them almost every day all summer long. Our winter here lasts for ******* ever, and when summer finally arrives, I do not want to be cocooned.
Originally Posted by JS1357
Talented Mr. Ripley is great for summer inspiration
The+Talented+MR.Ripley%5B1999%5D.jpg
jsyqvseucwb7svus.jpg
talented-ripley.jpg

These are acceptable. But only because of the setting. And that Jude Law's legs look nicer than most.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads