• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Stuart Sales

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
This sale got a big "MEH" from me. Three years ago was much better. Some nice stuff, but not as large a selection as before, and certainly not as much high end stuff.

Same. I walked away empty handed. Chorse's chukkas were the only thing I thought about. I decided to pass because it was slightly too big for me. It is a great find though. I guess after a number of these kind of sales, it takes more to pry money out of my hands.
tounge.gif

billiebob

Reaction score
I got two pairs of shell cordovan stuarts choice. The first is a burgundy plaintoe blucher that will send the Aldens to the back of the closet for a little while. The second is a black captoe oxford with a single sole, and very sleek for shell. These were marked 850 and 900 retail, but I don't recall these prices from the last couple of seasons at Paul Stuart. I'll post a pic on the shoe thread when I get a chance.

If anyone had any interest in black croc penny loafers and brown croc bit loafers, there were several pairs around for 250. Black and brown in 11, etc. There were a fair amount of 11 and 11.5 brown brogues and loafers in narrow widths like C and B. Several pairs of shell cordovan penny loafers as well in 10.5,11, and 11.5

The suit selection was thin in 41 and 42.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Same. I walked away empty handed. Chorse's chukkas were the only thing I thought about. I decided to pass because it was slightly too big for me. It is a great find though. I guess after a number of these kind of sales, it takes more to pry money out of my hands.
tounge.gif

I thought I saw a nice parka in your hands for a while. I really liked that. What happened?

Duveen

Reaction score
Any news on size 12-13 shoes? I would love to have someone mule for me if there was anything in shell @ that price (black or color #8).

fassbinder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
I got two pairs of shell cordovan stuarts choice. The first is a burgundy plaintoe blucher that will send the Aldens to the back of the closet for a little while. .

I also got a pair of shells, burgundy captoe bals with a retail of $900, in 9.5. There was also nice tasel loafer shells in that size but not my style. Alden fans may want to take a look.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Are you sure? I practically live at the BG shoe dept and I never saw a Vass that even remotely resembled that shoe. The only $599 Vass of the last few months were the monk, calf captoe, a horrible boot and a suede/calf captoe.

I bought that Vass (Old English II - Leather / Suede Combo) over Christmas
smile.gif

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a black punched captoe oxford (Stuart's Choice, $250), a double-breasted gray pinstriped suit (Samuelson's, $450), and a necktie for $15. I recognized a lot of the merchandise (especially knitwear and accessories) from the in-store sale.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
well, I thought the sale sucked as of 1:30pm or so. Wasn't looking to buy for myself but the shoes in 10 and 10.5 were not good. There was a weird round toe wholecut type shoe with funky stitching around the laces and a two eyelet derby with a chiseled toe which was OK. Neither was worth $250 and I'd only wear the suede and the quality of the suede left me wanting. Ties were garbage, any sportcoat that was even worth trying on started at $400, and those were Samuelsohn and the trousers were OK but $115 for wool Samuelsohn made trousers isn;t exacty a great deal. Picked up the last two remaining pairs of grenson full shoe trees (if anyone has two left feet, there are quite a few left shoe trees left
confused.gif
) and those will probably be too small for my 10-10.5 shoes as they seem to be 9-9.5 so if they don't fit for me, drop me a line and I'll send them to anyone for $22 (they cost $16 and will probably cost 4-5 to ship).

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a wonderful forum. Over the period of several days, I can experience the trill of anticipation and the let down of discovery without ever venturing away from the computer.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
This is a wonderful forum. Over the period of several days, I can experience the trill of anticipation and the let down of discovery without ever venturing away from the computer.

I quite happy w/ my purchases.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StockwellDay
I quite happy w/ my purchases.

Great. I was responding to the overall tenor, which seems to be disappointment based on the build up. However, I am delighted that several folk were able to score.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this was one of those sales that required arriving early, and grabbing the good stuff within the first hour of the sale. I saw the usual forum members--Chorse, Philovance, Stockwellday, Poorsod, and Mack prowling through the shoes in the first hour (I didnt see Billiebob or some of the other guys who remain anonymous). I believe most of the smaller jackets were picked clean by SF members; most of my damage was done in the odd sportcoat department. I was also happy to completely revamp my shoe tree stock, and the black shell cordovan oxfords were simply too tasty to pass at less than $300.

I'm sure Ill just have to sell something on Ebay to recoup the costs.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237

Ditto. It's a PhD dissertation just waiting to be written.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
No, at least not as far as I saw. They had the half calf half suede version that Bennies had a while back. A plain toe, with a stitching that recalled (I think) the Stowe in the old Masterpiece line.
grn01034_Black_m.jpg

They were pretty sweet. I can't recall if the suede covered the whole heel.

Here is an out-of-focus picture of the suede/calfskin Stowes from Bennies. They are my favorite dress shoes, but I must admit that I don't like the added broguing on the model shown on the PS website:

I _am_ intensely jealous of you guys who live in NYC and can take advantage of these outrageous sale prices!!

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
I think this was one of those sales that required arriving early, and grabbing the good stuff within the first hour of the sale. I saw the usual forum members--Chorse, Philovance, Stockwellday, Poorsod, and Mack prowling through the shoes in the first hour (I didnt see Billiebob or some of the other guys who remain anonymous). I believe most of the smaller jackets were picked clean by SF members; most of my damage was done in the odd sportcoat department. I was also happy to completely revamp my shoe tree stock, and the black shell cordovan oxfords were simply too tasty to pass at less than $300.

I'm sure Ill just have to sell something on Ebay to recoup the costs.

Yes, I agree. It was worth arriving at 8:00 am. I won't even ask when you guys showed up
smile.gif

One benefit of the early arrival is finding shoe trees in my size. The trees above size 9 have a metal plate on one foot that says Stuart's Choice. The plate on the other foot has the Grenson logo.

I might go back for a straw boater and a tux. You know, the essentials
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads