• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

raging_rapid

Reaction score
Those lads, look so young too! But I suppose, back then, you settled down at 18 sort of thing....

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
awesome Roy! a French newspaper ran that photo??

Must have Jason, But they have the ages wrong, Gerry and Pat was One year older than me, This photo could be 68/69 season, could even be later 69/70 season, Gerry would be 16 in 69, the Lads in front are Little Kilburn maybe 14 year olds no younger,

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Amazing, Roy!

Yes it is, I could right a book about Gerry on his own, and I will write some stuff for the book as a tribute.
Gerry Died sticking up as always for someone else, and Got a knife in his chest, he even tried to run after the c*nt , and died on the spot a few yards from his home, outside a pub he drank in from a 14 year old.
The person who killed him pleaded insanity,

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Yes it is, I could right a book about Gerry on his own, and I will write some stuff for the book as a tribute.

I hope you will, Roy. And I'll run the photo and bugger the copyright!

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at home one night my Mum cooked me egg and chips, I was eating, next the door was knocking , opened the door, Gerry is standing there, We have a problem down Edgware road, We? yes he said, Next iam down the stairs, Jump on he said! I didnt know you had a Scooter Gerry?, Nah just nicked it. Next minute we was on our way. we get down there, about 20 Kilburn was across the road from the Rosesmary Church Youth Club, already waiting... Right we will ave em when they come out.
Next the Old Bill was all over , I legged it, a couple of Coppers was on me, i was wearing a Bright Orange sleveless pullover, so i stood out like a beacon, anyway they caught me, and nicked me.
The Police rang me Mum, You must have the wrong lad my Mum said, he is in the Kitchen eating his Egg and Chips.
Till this day i still do not know why we had a problem down Edgware road,

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Agree, The Skinheads was the first post War cult that had no interest in anything other than Violence, Football, and Cloths, they was also the first cult that did not have its own music, skinheads had no impact on the rest of society, like the Mods, Punks etc did, they also had no interested in politics. Skinheads came and went in a flash.
Yes you are also right we had no heros, maybe some of the gang leaders, and yes the odd footballer, Peter Osgood for us.

Here's a bit I found in Glam! by Barney Hoskyns (page 14-15):

In Britain the most pointed and violent reaction to hippiedom took the form of the skinheads, who shaved their hair, sneered at rock, and danced to soul and reggae records. In part this reflected a class schism, but then Britain's class system had always had more to do with style and tribalization than its American counterpart. Skins were against everything wimpy and long-haired and middle-class, which is what rock had become by the end of the sixties. With their football hooliganism and brutal appearance - the Crombie overcoats, bleached jeans and eight-eyed Doc Martens - the skinheads were the ultimate bogey-boys of British culture at the turn of the decade. What set them apart from earlier tribes like rockers and mods was their utter lack of interest in particular pop stars: forerunners of disco culture, they were music consumers whose real stars were turntables. Even when the pre-glam Slade gave themselves a Ben-Sherman-shirts-and-braces makeover, skinheads paid them little attention.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's an odd thought. I can't remember many people smoking 'back in the day'. None of my girlfriends did and I can't remember any of my mates doing so. Anybody else remember?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's an odd thought. I can't remember many people smoking 'back in the day'. None of my girlfriends did and I can't remember any of my mates doing so. Anybody else remember?
Most people that i saw smoked.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most people smoked from secondary school on. You could buy individual cigarettes. I was sent out to buy cigarettes for my father when I was in primary school. No ID issues.

Con Seanery

Reaction score
I was reading this small ‘78 article “Skins” in Strangled Volume 1 – Issue 5 (pg.7) and noticed this quote about ’69 skins:
Originally Posted by Strangled Magazine (quote edited by me)
“…soon we had arrived at the golden age of skinheadism, when a well dressed lad would not be clothed until the following threads were upon him. Feet: D.M.’s… You could have either the eight hole lace up, or the more status giving twelve holes.
Just considering boots (maybe not specifically dm’s) is this 12 hole bit correct? I assume it’s not and that it could be similar to this funny quote from British Style Genius - The street look when the guy says “the size of the check would denote the authority that you had in a skinhead crew, if you had a half-inch ben Sherman check, -black & white, you could be classified as the leader of that crew”. Btw, all the bsg-street look episodes edited into one long string Here.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Seanery
I was reading this small ‘78 article “Skins” in Strangled Volume 1 – Issue 5 (pg.7) and noticed this quote about ’69 skins: Just considering boots (maybe not specifically dm’s) is this correct? I assume it’s not and that it could be similar to this funny quote from British Style Genius - The street look when the guy says “the size of the check would denote the authority that you had in a skinhead crew, if you had a half-inch ben Sherman check, -black & white, you could be classified as the leader of that crew”. Btw, all the bsg-street look episodes edited into one long string Here.
What that Bloke said about Ben Sherman's Check and Gang status was the biggest load of bollocks i have ever heard, But thought the whole series was Brill, If i remember! Ben Sherman never issued Checks in 68/69.

raging_rapid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
Here's a bit I found in Glam! by Barney Hoskyns:

In Britain the most pointed and violent reaction to hippiedom took the form of the skinheads, who shaved their hair, sneered at rock, and danced to soul and reggae records. In part this reflected a class schism, but then Britain's class system had always had more to do with style and tribalization than its American counterpart. Skins were against everything wimpy and long-haired and middle-class, which is what rock had become by the end of the sixties. With their football hooliganism and brutal appearance - the Crombie overcoats, bleached jeans and eight-eyed Doc Martens - the skinheads were the ultimate bogey-boys of British culture at the turn of the decade. What set them apart from earlier tribes like rockers and mods was their utter lack of interest in particular pop stars: forerunners of disco culture, they were music consumers whose real stars were turntables. Even when the pre-glam Slade gave themselves a Ben-Sherman-shirts-and-braces makeover, skinheads paid them little attention.

Did they bleach their Jeans in the 60s? I always thought that was an 80s thing?

Con Seanery

Reaction score
^^^@raging_rapid: this subject has been touched on in these threads, -answers start at the middle of page 151.. These 2 comments are the primary examples of answers here though:
Originally Posted by Brideshead
Splattered jeans were big with later mods too in my area from around 1967. You would wear a fine Smedley like top, immaculate Solatios and splattered jeans. It was too extreme for me.
From personal recollection: I experimented with two or three pairs of Levis, trying for a 'worn-in' look. The results were never satisfactory. I recall having one pair that looked pale blue but had all the stiffness of new Levis, and one pair that were streaky. I wonder if the streak-bleached look came about from other people's experiments? I know I gave up the experiment, having always preferred Levis which looked natural (for want of a better word). Interestingly the Levi Jacket I'm wearing in the pic below has had a splash of bleach. The photo was taken in 1969; it would have been unusual, but not unheard of, for me to have been wearing a denim jacket at that time. I do remember that this photo wasn't taken in London, and that possibly the jacket wasn't mine.
Hymie%20Tastygeezer%2002.jpg

I do notice that I'm wearing it '67/'68 Northern Mod style - two buttons done at the top, cuffs turned over once. The habit of putting your hands in your back pockets too. Maybe I simply couldn't leave that influence behind. I don't know... I'm seeing it all through the mist of time...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads