• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a 'signature-item'?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a few specific signature items - I always wear the same cufflinks (sterling silver spheres from the 30's, very simple), the same watch (a pre-wwii pilots watch) and a lapel pin (from my military unit). if I am wearing a belt, I always wear the same tifany ss belt buckle that my wife bought me as an engagement present.

aside from those specifics - when I am suited up, I always wear a charcoal gray or a midnight blue suit, either double breasted or 3 piece. all of my dress shirts are contrast collar and cuff, mostly blue. all of my ties are dark blue or dark gray, mostly solid. and I wear a light colored pocket square in a t fold, and black cordovan ankle boots. the efect is that there is very little variation

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
And this is why people have issues with guns in general. They only see the crazies. It also doesn't help that so many on the pro gun side argue against any and all regulation. Guns are designed to kill people. A little effort into making sure that complete whackjobs don't have access seems perfectly reasonable to me. I'm fine with guns in many cases. Shotguns for home defense or in a convenience store. Certainly, I'm fine with the police being equipped with sidearms, and longarms for hunting. I figure I might even be tempted to pick that up someday. But the vast majority of people toting guns and yammering about how it's their right are simply paranoid or have a hero complex, and really should not be carrying one.
Well thank you for the after school special. Take it to CE...

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Well thank you for the after school special. Take it to CE...
Somehow, I suspect you'll live if an internet conversation goes a little astray. Also, I don't wander into CE much anymore. Too many of the "Obama is an alien sent from outer space to turn the nation into a muslin facisim!" types in there.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by R.O. Thornhill
Pretty much every day I will wear/carry:

- Black SAB attachÃ
00a9.png
case
- White linen pocket square
- Silver "knot" cufflinks by Tiffany's (I have a dozen or so pairs of different cufflinks, but I pretty much always wear these)
- Montegrappa Nero Uno ribbed pen

All my shirts are double cuff, with the same spread collar (colours vary - typically a simple stripe or micro-check in blue or pink)

During the week I wear black shoes almost all the time - and they are almost all punched cap, captoe oxfords.

I suppose that makes me predictable

All I could think of was American Psycho while reading this post. Haha.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Why? Especially the latter. Why? To make you feel safe and strong? I really don't get it. I refuse to believe that there is a daily, or even monthly, use for a 5" knife carried on your person. Unless you are living out in the country or something.

If I carried around a 5" knife in LA, I'd be a) fired from work, b) labeled a creepy weirdo, c) looked upon with unease, and d) possibly arrested.

Same thing with all this concealed-carry stuff. When it comes down to it, carrying a concealed firearm serves no legitimate purpose other than to provide a feeling of comfort to the batshit paranoid and/or the micropenised who need to compensate.

i carry a nice benchmade at work often for cutting rope, but outside of that never. oh i forgot, my wife made me take it to the SF meetup i went to

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
TucksTakeAlongWipes.jpg

- B

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Signature item?

A very strong body odour...

Unforgettable...

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Why? Especially the latter. Why? To make you feel safe and strong? I really don't get it. I refuse to believe that there is a daily, or even monthly, use for a 5" knife carried on your person. Unless you are living out in the country or something.

If I carried around a 5" knife in LA, I'd be a) fired from work, b) labeled a creepy weirdo, c) looked upon with unease, and d) possibly arrested.

Same thing with all this concealed-carry stuff. When it comes down to it, carrying a concealed firearm serves no legitimate purpose other than to provide a feeling of comfort to the batshit paranoid and/or the micropenised who need to compensate.

What would you do if someone mugged you and was trying to kill you? Sprinkle fairy dust on them and hope for the best? Its a dangerous world. Open your ******* eyes.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Somehow, I suspect you'll live if an internet conversation goes a little astray.

Also, I don't wander into CE much anymore. Too many of the "Obama is an alien sent from outer space to turn the nation into a muslin facisim!" types in there.

Pio misses you.
inlove.gif

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
Upon entering the Marine Corps my dad had this group of items made up for his use during the duration of my service. They are solid 18K white gold with diamonds, sapphires, and rubies. He wore them, first, to my graduation from boot camp and thereafter daily, along with his Tiffany 14K Blue Star lapel pin. Once I completed my tour of duty to Iraq and returned home safely he turned them over to me, less the blue star pin. I wear the lapel flag and ring daily and the tie bar and/or cufflinks as opportunities present themselves. I think the lapel flag and ring qualify as my "signature" item(s).

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Are you an amateur butcher?
On the weekends
laugh.gif

I carry a pocketknife to open things like letters, boxes, plastic things, etc. I carry a large fixed blade for many reasons as well, besides the fact that it is my right as a man, and I am entitled to carry one without justification.

That being said, I don't go out of my way to show that I am carrying, or boast about my rights. The fixed blade can be used for bigger utility purposes, but honestly they are pretty rare. My main purpose is for defense, not personal comfort or compensation. I live downtown and walk everywhere (I don't have a car, nor do I want one) including late nights. There have been instances where I have had to use it for myself, and some times for others. No, I don't go looking for those situations, and I do my best to avoid them. That is not always enough, I'm afraid. You are foolish to think that the world is safe just because it is 2011.

If I carried a 5" knife in Texas (which you can do openly, by the way. Take that CA.) I would A.) Still have a job B.) not be judged by strangers C.) not have people afraid of me. Most people want to look at it, if they notice it at all D.) A free man, because there is no law against it.

It may not be daily or monthly, but when the situation arises I am glad I carry with regularity. It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Same argument goes for seat belts, door locks, alarms etc.

Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
I think he was joking?
eh.gif

I wasn't joking

Originally Posted by csoukoulis
What would you do if someone mugged you and was trying to kill you? Sprinkle fairy dust on them and hope for the best? Its a dangerous world. Open your ******* eyes.

This. It's not as uncommon as you may think.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LatinStyleLover
Upon entering the Marine Corps my dad had this group of items made up for his use during the duration of my service. They are solid 18K white gold with diamonds, sapphires, and rubies. He wore them, first, to my graduation from boot camp and thereafter daily, along with his Tiffany 14K Blue Star lapel pin. Once I completed my tour of duty to Iraq and returned home safely he turned them over to me, less the blue star pin. I wear the lapel flag and ring daily and the tie bar and/or cufflinks as opportunities present themselves. I think the lapel flag and ring qualify as my "signature" item(s). http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/31fee105b2.jpg[/img[/url[/I]
Those are seriously neat. More than one item at a time would to me be overdoing it, but it's a cool set and a cool story.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads