• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a 'signature-item'?

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Maybe there's something I'm not getting here, but this is 2011. What's the point of carrying a pocket knife? Keeping one in your car, sure, maybe. But carrying one? Explain the daily use case to me.

You never know when your going to have to cut your own arm off.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe there's something I'm not getting here, but this is 2011. What's the point of carrying a pocket knife? Keeping one in your car, sure, maybe. But carrying one? Explain the daily use case to me.

Opening the box containing my new shell cordovan shoes
inlove.gif

I use mine once a day at least...

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. It's a silver navajo sand cast ring I've worn since I was 11 and will continue wearing until it no longer fits on any of my fingers.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its a good feeling to have it when you want it. I'm too forgetful to have one though. In this paranoid as **** world, I'd end up with it in my pocket somewhere and be slapped in Gitmo or something.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I carry a pocket knife and a 5" fixed blade daily.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Pretty much every day I will wear/carry:

- Black SAB attachÃ
00a9.png
case
- White linen pocket square
- Silver "knot" cufflinks by Tiffany's (I have a dozen or so pairs of different cufflinks, but I pretty much always wear these)
- Montegrappa Nero Uno ribbed pen

All my shirts are double cuff, with the same spread collar (colours vary - typically a simple stripe or micro-check in blue or pink)

During the week I wear black shoes almost all the time - and they are almost all punched cap, captoe oxfords.

I suppose that makes me predictable

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark

Are you an amateur butcher?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Why? Especially the latter. Why? To make you feel safe and strong? I really don't get it. I refuse to believe that there is a daily, or even monthly, use for a 5" knife carried on your person. Unless you are living out in the country or something. If I carried around a 5" knife in LA, I'd be a) fired from work, b) labeled a creepy weirdo, c) looked upon with unease, and d) possibly arrested. Same thing with all this concealed-carry stuff. When it comes down to it, carrying a concealed firearm serves no legitimate purpose other than to provide a feeling of comfort to the batshit paranoid and/or the micropenised who need to compensate.

IsteRed

Reaction score
I carry a Karambit in my pocket,makes me feel badass.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why? Especially the latter. Why? To make you feel safe and strong? I really don't get it. I refuse to believe that there is a daily, or even monthly, use for a 5" knife carried on your person. Unless you are living out in the country or something. If I carried around a 5" knife in LA, I'd be a) fired from work, b) labeled a creepy weirdo, c) looked upon with unease, and d) possibly arrested. Same thing with all this concealed-carry stuff. When it comes down to it, carrying a concealed firearm serves no legitimate purpose other than to provide a feeling of comfort to the batshit paranoid and/or the micropenised who need to compensate.
I think he was joking?
eh.gif
I like a Gurkha knife, myself..! *looks smug You know, a little fun fact about the Gurkhas: in the war, they would sneak into the enemy camp, at night, and could tell who the Germans were by how they tie their laces (I know someone will state that they should all be Germans, as it is their camp, but that's how I remember being told)! SF related, or what?!

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: I don't want this to turn into a gun vs anti gun thread so I'm done. Wow, sounds like a personal issue. You should not know even if a person is carrying if they are doing it correctly. I met the guy who was in Von Maur when the shooting started (a while back now) he had taken his gun out of his pocket before walking in. I'm not saying he would have saved everyone, but I'm willing to bet the families of the seven or eight who died would have liked him to try. Soon after Von Maur took down their no guns sign, if criminals want to bring a gun in, do you really think a sign will stop them? That being said there are lots of nut jobs who carry guns for all the wrong reasons.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
That being said there are lots of nut jobs who carry guns for all the wrong reasons.
And this is why people have issues with guns in general. They only see the crazies. It also doesn't help that so many on the pro gun side argue against any and all regulation. Guns are designed to kill people. A little effort into making sure that complete whackjobs don't have access seems perfectly reasonable to me. I'm fine with guns in many cases. Shotguns for home defense or in a convenience store. Certainly, I'm fine with the police being equipped with sidearms, and longarms for hunting. I figure I might even be tempted to pick that up someday. But the vast majority of people toting guns and yammering about how it's their right are simply paranoid or have a hero complex, and really should not be carrying one.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
And this is why people have issues with guns in general. They only see the crazies.

It also doesn't help that so many on the pro gun side argue against any and all regulation. Guns are designed to kill people. A little effort into making sure that complete whackjobs don't have access seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I'm fine with guns in many cases. Shotguns for home defense or in a convenience store. Certainly, I'm fine with the police being equipped with sidearms, and longarms for hunting. I figure I might even be tempted to pick that up someday. But the vast majority of people toting guns and yammering about how it's their right are simply paranoid or have a hero complex, and really should not be carrying one.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics