• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's see your weight loss

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
A lack of willpower is not what's causing individuals to be unable to lose weight, nor is it what's causing Americans to suffer from obesity. Granted, some people will have more difficulty with losing weight than others. But this does not imply that it is a lack of willpower that is the determining factor.
Listen sparky, you don't know **** from shinola when it comes to actual weight loss. I've lost more weight than you have on your body, or probably ever will have. On paper, you might be a quite educated when it comes to breaking it all down. In the real world, when you're standing in front of an open fridge and you can't bring yourself to close it because that last bit of leftovers is staring you in the face, and you realize that you've been standing there for 5 minutes despite your desire to close the door, then you'll know how important willpower is. IT IS PARAMOUNT. This cannot be understated. Without the willpower to keep from eating, any plan, no matter how well thought out and constructed, will go to complete ****. Period.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
You know very little about much of anything.
FTFY
On paper, you might be a quite educated when it comes to breaking it all down.
He doesn't even have this. It's much closer to a wikipedia eduction + a few conveniently interpreted journals. Even if he has looked further in to what he talks about, he misunderstands much of it.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Listen sparky, you don't know **** from shinola when it comes to actual weight loss. I've lost more weight than you have on your body, or probably ever will have. On paper, you might be a quite educated when it comes to breaking it all down. In the real world, when you're standing in front of an open fridge and you can't bring yourself to close it because that last bit of leftovers is staring you in the face, and you realize that you've been standing there for 5 minutes despite your desire to close the door, then you'll know how important willpower is. IT IS PARAMOUNT. This cannot be understated. Without the willpower to keep from eating, any plan, no matter how well thought out and constructed, will go to complete ****. Period.

I understand what you are saying--completely. What I am saying is that a lack of willpower isn't what's causing someone to be unable to resist raiding the refrigerator at night. It is not because they don't possess self control, or that they are a glutton and a sloth, but rather because of certain biological (and to a degree, behavioral) factors that drives one to over-consume, and to crave specific foods that are uniquely fattening and inhibitory of any desired weight-loss effect.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
FTFY

He doesn't even have this. It's much closer to a wikipedia eduction + a few conveniently interpreted journals. Even if he has looked further in to what he talks about, he misunderstands much of it.

You really need to remove the stick out of your ass.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoops double post

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I am saying is that a lack of willpower isn't what's causing someone to be unable to resist.

Er oh Er

Read the above statement again.

Lol

You really need to remove the stick out of your ass.

I dig being self taught. It's some good ******* bull. You should just have some idea of what you're talking about when you speak about it. Your local library has books on OChem and BioChem I bet. Otherwise there's Khan Academy (free online) which will cover OChem and intro to Bio and then you can examine things like metabolic pathways, genetics, etc.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Er oh Er

Read the above statement again.

Lol

I dig being self taught. It's some good ******* bull. You should just have some idea of what you're talking about when you speak about it. Your local library has books on OChem and BioChem I bet. Otherwise there's Khan Academy (free online) which will cover OChem and intro to Bio and then you can examine things like metabolic pathways, genetics, etc.

Feel free to counter my arguments at any time.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying--completely. What I am saying is that a lack of willpower isn't what's causing someone to be unable to resist raiding the refrigerator at night. It is not because they don't possess self control, or that they are a glutton and a sloth, but rather because of certain biological (and to a degree, behavioral) factors that drives one to over-consume, and to crave specific foods that are uniquely fattening and inhibitory of any desired weight-loss effect.

isnt this what people call lack of willpower?

your body might be asking you for food, but it's called will power when you say no.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
isnt this what people call lack of willpower?

Willpower mustn't be confused with behavioral disorders or addictions. The lack of will is not the cause of these manifestations, but merely a symptom. It is not what's driving one to abuse food, or to be unable to stick to a diet. In this case, the problem lies much deeper.

your body might be asking you for food, but it's called will power when you say no.
That's called starvation.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
You're splitting hairs to avoid being wrong. Stop it.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
You're splitting hairs to avoid being wrong. Stop it.
I don't believe I was splitting any hairs. Then again, I could be wrong. I just am pretty sure that I'm not.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't believe I was splitting any hairs. Then again, I could be wrong. I just am pretty sure that I'm not.

What I am saying is that a lack of willpower isn't what's causing someone to be unable to resist.
lol8[1].gif

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your problem with that statement? You've quoted it twice now without once actually articulating your thoughts on it.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
It's not an issue of behavior, it's just an issue of behavior. I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Not sure though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads