• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
Do you dryclean your suits a lot?
Perhaps he might actually be a secret agent like, you know, the James Bond of Australia - except only with the crap funding of ASIS.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lachyzee
Yup, end of the show I'm pretty sure it says "Gary is dressed by... MJ Bale"

I think this is right - I get the MJB newsletter and the M'chef dudes were featered in there. I reckon the MJB suits look okay on him (much better than whatever it was he used to wear in the early days) - but he has got to be the hardest shape to suit up (I should know!) , so I think that is a factor.

...though, I'm not sure about Matt Preston wearing MJB - I had a feeling he wears a lot of RM Williams gear. As to him looking like "crap", I think that is a bit harsh. He has a certain look, it's distinctively his and it is obvious that he cares about how he looks.

Yes, you could say his jackets are a bit tight, he wears a bit too much white (especially given his size - I, too have met him IRL and he is GIGANTOOOOR!) and the ascot thing is a bit OTT. BUT that's his schtick and I think it works for the kind of role he has.

I caught a bit of the episode shot in WA the other night and he had a killer Panama hat on. Great shape, with a pencil roll brim.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
I caught a bit of the episode shot in WA the other night and he had a killer Panama hat on. Great shape, with a pencil roll brim.

Saw that. No doubt the clobber he sports is impressive, and there's an element of style about it all for sure, but he just looks like a big fat fool to be honest. It's lipstick on a pig.

bhall41

Reaction score
Saw that. No doubt the clobber he sports is impressive, and there's an element of style about it all for sure, but he just looks like a big fat fool to be honest. It's lipstick on a pig.

Ouch!
boxing[1].gif

I agree with the previous comments about aspects of his look being a bit OTT. I personally find his look a bit costumey. However, good on him for caring about what he wears and for being much braver than most Aussie guys in terms of clothes selection. In my opinion Matt should be applauded rather than damned.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Masterchef guys dress very well, comparatively speaking. *Just making an effort* is as rare as rocking horse **** (Adam Hills, for example -- awful, so bland).

And now a question for my fellow antipodean igents: where do you buy your odd wool trousers? I'm looking for staples and aiming to spend no more than $50-100 per pair.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41
Ouch!
boxing[1].gif

I agree with the previous comments about aspects of his look being a bit OTT. I personally find his look a bit costumey. However, good on him for caring about what he wears and for being much braver than most Aussie guys in terms of clothes selection. In my opinion Matt should be applauded rather than damned.

I HATE the way he chews his food. (I was going to use "masticates" there but feared for those of you who skim-read posts)

I can picture him now, the big chop-headed lump rolling portions of over-cooked steak hache around in his jowels. It's like he know's he's not an actual chef, and effectively just Joe Public with a pen and a newspaper deal, so has to show he's got a craft for tasting food that the rest of us don't know or appreciate.

- I'm not a fan in case you hadn't noticed.

bhall41

Reaction score
I HATE the way he chews his food. (I was going to use "masticates" there but feared for those of you who skim-read posts)

I can picture him now, the big chop-headed lump rolling portions of over-cooked steak hache around in his jowels. It's like he know's he's not an actual chef, and effectively just Joe Public with a pen and a newspaper deal, so has to show he's got a craft for tasting food that the rest of us don't know or appreciate.

I noticed...

I am actually more concerned by the way George eats, with his head amost buried in the plate and his dubious use of cutlery. Didn't his mother teach him any manners at the dinner table? Also, I don't much care for his sense of style (or that of the person who dresses him) - he dresses too young and casually IMO. And he wears ridiculous sized watches. Apart from that, he's a top bloke.
biggrin.gif

Pleased I got that off my chest ...

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tobiasj
The Masterchef guys dress very well, comparatively speaking. *Just making an effort* is as rare as rocking horse **** (Adam Hills, for example -- awful, so bland).

And now a question for my fellow antipodean igents: where do you buy your odd wool trousers? I'm looking for staples and aiming to spend no more than $50-100 per pair.

Charlie Pickering, the muppet off 7pm project is the worst. Makes my eyes bleed

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Counted at least 5 pocket squares on Collins St over lunch ... name yourselves!

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
Charlie Pickering, the muppet off 7pm project is the worst. Makes my eyes bleed

What I hate most of all are the newsreaders and TV presenters with dark (often black) suits, white shirts and high contrast, fugly, ties. Yuck! Eddie McGuire comes to mind, although no doubt there are worse offenders.

lennier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41
What I hate most of all are the newsreaders and TV presenters with dark (often black) suits, white shirts and high contrast, fugly, ties. Yuck! Eddie McGuire comes to mind, although no doubt there are worse offenders.
Interestingly on the other side of the coin Peter Hitchener last night was sporting a dark blue subtle PoW or similar, with well fitting natural shoulders. Quite unusual for a TV head and quite nicely done I thought.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lennier
Interestingly on the other side of the coin Peter Hitchener last night was sporting a dark blue subtle PoW or similar, with well fitting natural shoulders. Quite unusual for a TV head and quite nicely done I thought.

That's encouraging - I had thought he was one of those newsreaders who dressed along the lines I was having a gripe about? I generally don't watch news on the commerical stations.

jessis

Reaction score

Couldn't agree more! I am sure they are all great people with good hearts and all of that but there is just something so disturbing about watching people eat food in a drawn out way, so close up on camera.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to some GQ shindig last night. Dead set, should have seen the crap getting about. Super skinny suits, horrible ties, narrow winklepickers. I think I saw one good fit all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads