• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by colins
Word, I was thinking more along the lines of Barrie.

It's funny, I spotted a guy from Blacksburg on the Epaulet thread a while ago and was equally shocked. I PMed him and it turned out he had recently graduated and moved away, but he gave me a run down of some others members from the area, past and present. There weren't very many -- no surprise.

Enjoy your time and the weather; summer Blacksburg is my favorite kind of Blacksburg
satisfied.gif

Yeah, I'm a recent Tech grad too and spend my time in Roanoke. I ended up down here for the week and have been enjoying the nice weather. Well, now that I know there's a couple of folks in this town I'll keep an eye out for selvedge lines and wingtips.
biggrin.gif

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Anyone catch the Epaulet pre-sale on the Ravello Wingtip Brixton Boot (all eyelets, no hooks). I snagged one of the last 9D available and can't wait, these could be the Ultimate boot.

I grabbed a pair from their previous stock. They really are a beautiful boot. People at work and on the street comment on them quite a bit. I just hate the "how much did they cost" questions, especially at work.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone catch the Epaulet pre-sale on the Ravello Wingtip Brixton Boot (all eyelets, no hooks). I snagged one of the last 9D available and can't wait, these could be the Ultimate boot.

I saw those too, but the no hooks thing kinda turned me off. They look like they'd be a pain to get in and out of?

number9dream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
I grabbed a pair from their previous stock. They really are a beautiful boot. People at work and on the street comment on them quite a bit. I just hate the "how much did they cost" questions, especially at work.

I ordered a pair and expect to have them paid for by September
smile.gif
. I, too, hate the questions about how much they cost. It's hard enough to keep that info from my wife, much less jealous junior associates.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
I saw those too, but the no hooks thing kinda turned me off. They look like they'd be a pain to get in and out of?

It really just comes down to personal preference. I have the shoemart version which is the identical boot with speedhooks and that is basically my dream boot. I like the hooks for ease, others dislike them for 1 reason or another.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
fo0go7.jpg

whiskey lhs
argyles otc

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
It really just comes down to personal preference. I have the shoemart version which is the identical boot with speedhooks and that is basically my dream boot. I like the hooks for ease, others dislike them for 1 reason or another.

+1 I have the Epaulet version and would have picked the Shoemart version - not that it takes that much longer to lace them up but everytime I wear them to the gym (or at an airport) I do think about it.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UniqueDude1000
Could anybody ID these shoes and tell me what last they are?

28KGrHqMOKpE24cqzf9BN5i29HPrMw0_3.jpg

I believe that Alden calls those the "Saddle Oxford". As far as I know, they are on the Barrie last.

I didn't get these, but I did buy the Shoe Mart version with the speed hooks.

Originally Posted by TKJTG

For me, the speed hooks do make a big difference in helping me get in and out of boots comfortably a lot faster. Not having speed hooks is a little inconvenient for me, but it's not a deal breaker.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
Is it just me or is the wingtipof the shoe on the right f'd up?

975_longwingbluch4.jpg

totally

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer

I'm one against the speed hooks. I have boots with both and think that the eyelets are an easier go between from jeans to MC. For some reason the hooks also almost always catch my inner hem on my pants (I'm constantly walking up 4 flights of stairs at my job between getting to my room on the top floor, walking down to pick up kids and walking them up at least 4 times during the day).

As far as the cost, no one really asks me at my job, which I'm thankful for. My wife knows, and she kind of rolls her eyes. Though this purchase may have depleted that fund for a bit, but I plan on selling a few jackets soon. So...
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm one against the speed hooks. I have boots with both and think that the eyelets are an easier go between from jeans to MC. For some reason the hooks also almost always catch my inner hem on my pants (I'm constantly walking up 4 flights of stairs at my job between getting to my room on the top floor, walking down to pick up kids and walking them up at least 4 times during the day).

As far as the cost, no one really asks me at my job, which I'm thankful for. My wife knows, and she kind of rolls her eyes. Though this purchase may have depleted that fund for a bit, but I plan on selling a few jackets soon. So...
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif

I ordered them as well, back on Christmas Eve. A nice Christmas present to myself, to be delivered 8 months later.

I have the same issue with the speed hooks getting caught on the hem. While the hooks do save a few seconds in the morning I do like the look of the full eyelet version better.

Patiently waiting.

On a related cordovan note, I had my #8 cap toe boots on yesterday, walking around in the 90 degree NYC sun. Holy horse's ass, shell gets hot-n-heavy in the summer. Maybe I never noticed it before??

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tore the hem the first day wearing my indy boots. I had to tape the hem back while I was at work. Speedhooks are just no good for dress pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads