• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Place for Suit

stylemania

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum, and I'm going to be needing a new suit soon for a job interview. I'm looking for something within the $600 range. I have seen a few suits that I like at Mens Wearhouse but from what I've been reading on here, thats not really the best choice. I know there have probably already been posts about this but oh well.

MrFarnon

Reaction score
you say there have already been posts about this, so why not use the search function

stylemania

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrFarnon
you say there have already been posts about this, so why not use the search function

because nobody has posted on the thread in years. I wanted a more recent thread as there are new places now.

Iyor

Reaction score
I would go for a single breasted suit in the charcoal, or navy family. For $600 there are a number of deals on the b&s forum. I didn't see the selection, but Neiman Markus Last Call had some Hickey Freeman suits for 369 so for a little more you can get 2 very nice suits.

stylemania

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Iyor
I would go for a single breasted suit in the charcoal, or navy family. For $600 there are a number of deals on the b&s forum. I didn't see the selection, but Neiman Markus Last Call had some Hickey Freeman suits for 369 so for a little more you can get 2 very nice suits.

Ive never heard of Hickey Freeman but I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion. Any thoughts on buying a custom suit off of the internet?

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $600 I wouldn't try custom, and you probably get cheap ass fully fused made crap.
My suggestion: B&S forum, ebay or outlet store.

And yes you can kop fully canvassed Hickey Freeman suit at NMLC for $300-$400 if they have 40% off sale.

Go with Charcoal or Navy. if you already have solid color, try glen check or pin-stripe but muted.

stylemania

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stu00a
For $600 I wouldn't try custom, and you probably get cheap ass fully fused made crap.
My suggestion: B&S forum, ebay or outlet store.

And yes you can kop fully canvassed Hickey Freeman suit at NMLC for $300-$400 if they have 40% off sale.

Go with Charcoal or Navy. if you already have solid color, try glen check or pin-stripe but muted.

I saw an ad for a website called Indochino. I liked what I saw, and I was considering ordering one. Ive read a few reviews on here about them but have seen mixed reviews. I guess I will have to see for myself.

So if you will, please help me understand why $600 cant buy me a custom suit. Is it the fabric that makes the pricing, or the actual tailoring? I know that both play a fairly important part but which one affects price the most?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget what they all said above. Going made to measure, custom, bespoke is a really bad idea not only because of the price range, but also because of your knowledge. There's absolutely no reason for you to being doing that right now.

First and foremost, you need to find your size. And it's usually not what you or the salesman at a store thinks your size is. It's usually what you think your size is minus 1. The most important fit of the jacket is your shoulders as they are most difficult to tailor.

Once you've got your size, start looking on ebay/B&S for suits in your size. For $600, you can find good stuff.

stylemania

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
Forget what they all said above. Going made to measure, custom, bespoke is a really bad idea not only because of the price range, but also because of your knowledge. There's absolutely no reason for you to being doing that right now.

First and foremost, you need to find your size. And it's usually not what you or the salesman at a store thinks your size is. It's usually what you think your size is minus 1. The most important fit of the jacket is your shoulders as they are most difficult to tailor.

Once you've got your size, start looking on ebay/B&S for suits in your size. For $600, you can find good stuff.

thanks. very much appreciated

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=246745 For example, if that were your size... this would be much better than anything you can buy from a store. also, if you want to learn what a good fitting suit looks like. Browse through the stickied thread WAYWRN or whatever it's called. Not all are great, but they're mostly good. Spoo's fit is usually good, so you can look for his posts.

chet31

Reaction score
Simple answer - Saks Off 5th or Brooks Bros.

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
Another option is Filene's Basement, or the equivalent, though you will not get much assistance.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try thick as thieves, they have a long thread in the SWD section. im planning to pick up a suit from them soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics