• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShaneB
'Professional ethic' isn't stipulated by any national or supranational body - what type of 'ethic' is? And again, I've read your link, and I'm completely at a loss as to what you think it proves...

Houston, we have a troll on the radar.

The logic behind the professional as opposed the labourer is that he receives a set amount of money irrespective of actual hours worked because it is assumed that he or she works in order to achieve the conclusion of his or her task with a certain work ethic that is exclusive to the professional class...

... but there is without a shadow of doubt a clear and palpable difference between the ethic of the professional...

They'd say that a consultant falls in line with the moral and ethical stipulations of the professional.

It was fun playing. Again, wage and hour laws determine what positions may or may not be salaried. Have fun playing in the troll park without me.

ShaneB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Houston, we have a troll on the radar.

Grow up.

It was fun playing. Again, wage and hour laws determine what positions may or may not be salaried. Have fun playing in the troll park without me.

By all means retreat...

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And it isn't semantics to say that a wage is hour specific whilst a salary is a periodic form of payment - this is elementary.

What if I got payed for every 2 hours of work? What about every 4 hours of work? At what periodic interval would I transition from wage to salary worker?

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh ****. ShaneB hates bankers! Let me pull out the list:

-Wall Street is greedy
-Bankers are terrible people
-Bankers prey on the poor
-Bankers caused the financial crisis
-Bankers are overpaid and have a massive bonus
-Bankers take no risk and reap all the rewards

Have I forgotten anything else? You do know that investment bankers didn't cause the financial crisis I hope. Otherwise there's no point in even talking to you.

And why do you care if a fresh faced 22 year old grad is making what took you 10 years to earn?

ShaneB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
What if I got payed for every 2 hours of work? What about every 4 hours of work? At what periodic interval would I transition from wage to salary worker?
I don't really know whether yours is a genuine question or you're being ever so slightly facetious -
Employment law does not provide a specific definition of a wage or salary earner. However, generally speaking, the term 'wages' is used where the amount of money the employee receives may vary from one pay period to the next, as the amount paid is directly dependant on the amount of hours worked; and the term 'salary' refers to an agreed and fixed annual amount of money the employee receives regardless of the hours worked.
http://www.dol.govt.nz/workplace/kno...base/item/1306 I'm quite surprised so many people don't know the difference between a wage and salary; I've always taken it as an elementary distinction... maybe it's a UK/US thing...
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Oh ****. ShaneB hates bankers! Let me pull out the list: -Wall Street is greedy -Bankers are terrible people -Bankers prey on the poor -Bankers caused the financial crisis -Bankers are overpaid and have a massive bonus -Bankers take no risk and reap all the rewards Have I forgotten anything else? You do know that investment bankers didn't cause the financial crisis I hope. Otherwise there's no point in even talking to you. And why do you care if a fresh faced 22 year old grad is making what took you 10 years to earn?
I'm seriously beginning to think that this forum is populated by children... It maybe news to you, but many many people from all fields and all industries have been severely critical of bankers, and the banking industry in general. And of course, you're right, bankers and the investment banks had no cause whatsoever in the recent financial debacle... unbelievable... My displeasure with bankers and banking industry (generally speaking, because you can only talk about such things generally) is not based on some tawdry jealously (which I addressed above). Many people have been critical of the sector; so please allay your tired and childish accusations of envy...

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is such a stupid, pointless argument. no ones going to convince anyone of their viewpoint, so you all might as well stop and let the thread sail on its intended course.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Determing the difference between a US vs. UK thing by quoting a New Zealand website if pure comedy gold.

ShaneB

Reaction score
Determing the difference between a US vs. UK thing by quoting a New Zealand website if pure comedy gold.

Try and follow the line of logic -

I gather it's a UK / US divide given that the distinction between salaries & wages is a elementary point in my country; evidently, that distinction seems to have been lost amongst all and sundry in the States (for some reason). But suffice to say, there is a distinction and my citing a NZ governmental department is merely because it provides the most lucid description of the two. Care to explain to me why you take such great offence in differentiating the two types of monetary reward? Why can't you just accept what the vast majority of people already know... why argue over something so very tangential...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Something I said a dozen or so pages ago...

Starting salary vs. career upside.

Opinions on careers that start meh but end up big time?

Best one I can think of is elected office and then going into the private world as a lobbiest.
laugh.gif

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Best one I can think of is elected office and then going into the private world as a lobbiest.
laugh.gif

This is a good point. My first job payed fairly well, which I liked, but had a flat trajectory. This sort of information isn't always easy to find prior to employment.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really know whether yours is a genuine question or you're being ever so slightly facetious - http://www.dol.govt.nz/workplace/kno...base/item/1306 I'm quite surprised so many people don't know the difference between a wage and salary; I've always taken it as an elementary distinction... maybe it's a UK/US thing... I'm seriously beginning to think that this forum is populated by children... It maybe news to you, but many many people from all fields and all industries have been severely critical of bankers, and the banking industry in general. And of course, you're right, bankers and the investment banks had no cause whatsoever in the recent financial debacle... unbelievable... My displeasure with bankers and banking industry (generally speaking, because you can only talk about such things generally) is not based on some tawdry jealously (which I addressed above). Many people have been critical of the sector; so please allay your tired and childish accusations of envy...
Jesus F. Christ are you serious? Do you get all your news from the NYT??? Do you even know what INVESTMENT BANKERS DO?????? The general public is so stupid its nauseating.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really know whether yours is a genuine question or you're being ever so slightly facetious -

It is genuine. Please tell me what the time interval is.

http://www.dol.govt.nz/workplace/kno...base/item/1306

I'm quite surprised so many people don't know the difference between a wage and salary; I've always taken it as an elementary distinction... maybe it's a UK/US thing...

When you say elementary, I think you mean meaningless. My pay varies 20-30% year to year at the same job. Do you know who else has a highly variable pay depending on performance? Salespeople, and of course bankers.

I'm seriously beginning to think that this forum is populated by children...

When Piob doesn't want to talk about it anymore, you beat your chest and shout taunts, yet others are children and you are the lone adult.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

laugh.gif

This is what I tell myself I'm working towards in order to fall asleep.

ShaneB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Jesus F. Christ are you serious? Do you get all your news from the NYT??? Do you even know what INVESTMENT BANKERS DO?????? The general public is so stupid its nauseating.
Expletives aren't arguments. I find it bizarre how some in this industry can create this veneer of complexity and loftiness when in actual fact none exists, hence the general public is 'stupid' because they seemingly don't understand (in your estimation) the nuances of banking. Well, this is false - when I say criticism has been levied at bankers and the banking industry across the board I don't say so arbitrarily: probably the four top and mainly read economics blogs have periodic critiques of the banking sector and certain contributory factors in the recent economic debacle (Baseline Scenario; Naked Capitalism; Calculated Risk; von Mises - these are free-market blogs written by esteemed economists and practitioners in banking; it is for those who want informed opinion and those who want to keep abreast in the wider market / economy). Need one mention the plethora of literature that has been written in the wake of the financial fall? So many narratives contributed to the debacle that clearly I'm not levying all the blame at banking, but for someone to take the line that banking, as a sector, had no affect whatsoever strikes me as absurd. I'm at a loss as to why you think banking should be insulated from criticism, or why you take great offence when someone shows their displeasure with the industry - suffice to say, my opinions aren't based on hearsay and half-truths. I equally find the arrogance and condescension of bankers nauseating, especially when the 'stupid general public' subsidises seemingly private enterprises.
Originally Posted by thenanyu
It is genuine. Please tell me what the time interval is. When you say elementary, I think you mean meaningless. My pay varies 20-30% year to year at the same job. Do you know who else has a highly variable pay depending on performance? Salespeople, and of course bankers. When Piob doesn't want to talk about it anymore, you beat your chest and shout taunts, yet others are children and you are the lone adult.
Yes they receive commissions or bonuses as an appendage to their salary - so that's a moot point. And there is no arbitrary 'time interval' for what constitutes a salary or a wage - I think that definition adequately determines the differentiation. I haven't thrown any taunts? The whole pointless argument is twofold: 1) Because I don't fall to my knees at the much fabled bankers I'm criticised. For some reason banking / bankers should be insulated from critiques (and all from making the comment that I'm unimpressed with industry - well cry me a river because views of a similar vain aren't esoteric in wider industry or informed opinion) 2) Because I make the valid differentiation between salaries and wages. People for some reason took offence to that - I can't explain why other than they want an argument - now that is childish. But enough is enough - this is really a pointless and trivial discussion - I'm the first to admit that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads