• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
Ah, I see you belong to the "Tintin" school of monk strap philosophy.
In which case you won't approve of my recent purchases. I think I'm becoming a prima donna lately.
confused.gif

Tintin (Kuifje) is great.

What did you get?

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by isshinryu101
My favorite Pebble Grain Wingtips.

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

Originally Posted by sinnedk
Funny cuz I threw up a bit

Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Can someone pass me a tissue? I just ejaculated.
inlove.gif

Originally Posted by HORNS
^ I like these shoes as well, despite my snarkiness before.

Originally Posted by fritzl
the world of shoes is full of secrets - one is called patina.

Love 'em or hate 'em, thanks for posting & sharing your opinions. Fritzl, you hit it JUST right, I think. I wish I could bottle up "patina" and sell it like sun-tan lotion. These were SPF 60, as they were made around 1950. Don't know what they looked like new, but natural aging does some wonderful stuff, i think.

IMG_1525.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Makes sense. I don't think these are overly affected, like the Chapel, which I really don't like.

this

Originally Posted by NOBD
I am a monk fan and i like them simple and single.

not a fan. if it has to be a monk, then this. imo, the redmire qualifies for that, though.

hey c. mine are dark brown suede with single sole, similar to spoo's.
cheers.gif

UberDyologzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
982d7948.jpg
10092bfe.jpg
bd0645db.jpg
65354136.jpg

inlove.gif

Those are incredibly nice, even though I personally prefer round toes. The medallion and the broguing complement each other very well. I can only imagine what some polish would do to that beauty!

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Sole shot kills it for me. I know JR must be like steel ....
I've used JR soles a lot. They are tanned with Valona (acorn caps)and are a good outsole although I am not convinced that they are any better than the Baker or the Belgium outsole I am using currently. They tend to be brittle in my experience. Personal opinion alert! But I can't stand...and can't understand why any self-respecting shoemaker would allow...the logo left visible. It's like wearing a shirt with "Acme Cleaning" or "Gant Shirtmakers" embroidered on the back. Except that it is really hard to finish a JR outsole to the point where the logo can be eliminated. I lobbied for and for a short time was able to buy JR outsoles with the logo stamped on the flesh side. But no more. JR didn't like the bother.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't G&G and EG use JR's? Do they just sand them down or something? Or are they just some other oak bark tanned soles?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
I've JR soles a lot. They are tanned with Valona (acorn caps)and are a good outsole although I am not convinced that they are any better than the Baker or the Belgium outsole I am using currently. They tend to be brittle in my experience. Personal opinion alert! But I can't stand...and can't understand why any self-respecting shoemaker would allow...the logo left visible. It's like wearing a shirt with "Acme Cleaning" or "Gant Shirtmakers" embroidered on the back. Except that it is really hard to finish a JR outsole to the point where the logo can be eliminated. I lobbied for and for a short time was able to buy JR outsoles with the logo stamped on the flesh side. But no more. JR didn't like the bother.
I find the JR logo to fade away after just one or two wearings. It's definitely not heavily imprinted on my pairs of Vass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads