• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

business casual question

SJC

Reaction score
I just got a "business casual" job. in my past job i had to wear a suit. i have 5 suits total. for the first few weeks does StyleForum think it would fine to wear my suit pants, and a collared shirt? (no tie, or coat) is this business casual? or too dressy? The job is finance related, so I'm thinking this might be a fine combination. At some point I plan on buying some Chinos. I must say that, IMO, business casual seems difficult and sloppy.

mlongano

Reaction score
In my opinion suit pants do not look good in a business casual environment, especially if they are pin striped. A basic navy or charcoal gray pair of suit pants would probably look okay.

SJC

Reaction score
i have charcoal grey, and navy blue suit pants. hmmmm, maybe i'll pass on wearing these then. i'll see what others have to say. in the meantime, i'll go buy some chinos. prob get black, stone, and khaki colors.

question 2: how do suit pants differ from other business-like wool pants?

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wearing suit pants with a button-up shirt is perfectly fine for business casual, so if you need to do that for a week, that's fine.

I wouldn't do it for an extended time period because you're ruining your suit pants and you'll end up with a bunch of orphaned suit coats.

SJC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebac
Wearing suit pants with a button-up shirt is perfectly fine for business casual, so if you need to do that for a week, that's fine.

I wouldn't do it for an extended time period because you're ruining your suit pants and you'll end up with a bunch of orphaned suit coats.

Great point. I did not think about that. I'll probably do it for the first week, and then switch to some Chinos or something. I guess on the plus side, business casual is a lot less expensive compared to wearing suits. Banana Republic Chinos for $60. Wow. Anyone have tips about Chino bargains?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebac

+1. Don't wear chinos to work. Business casual means chinos to some but not all. If you would rather wear slacks then wear them.

SJC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
+1. Don't wear chinos to work. Business casual means chinos to some but not all. If you would rather wear slacks then wear them.

judging by the amount of posts you have, i'll take your word. i'll buy some slacks instead. while i have your expertise, what is your opinion on suit pants with BB non-iron collared shirt for the first week or so?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SJC
judging by the amount of posts you have, i'll take your word. i'll buy some slacks instead. while i have your expertise, what is your opinion on suit pants with BB non-iron collared shirt for the first week or so?

Zanella makes some good slacks, as does pal zileri (cheaper)

Get 100% wool or maybe a linen blend for the hot months.

Flat front is the way to go (IMO)

Suit pants with a collared shirt will be fine for the first week, as long as they aren't patterned.

SJC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Zanella makes some good slacks, as does pal zileri (cheaper)

Get 100% wool or maybe a linen blend for the hot months.

Flat front is the way to go (IMO)

Suit pants with a collared shirt will be fine for the first week, as long as they aren't patterned.

flat front - check. i'll look into pal zileri as well. im definitely going to play the less expensive brand for the first few months. gratsi.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SJC

laugh.gif
I wouldn't call it expertise but I have been in Business Casual for many years and only on SF for one year. I've learned more in that one year.

BB shirts are not a bad choice. They are not exceptional by any means but fine. I wear some for business casual.

SJC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
laugh.gif
I wouldn't call it expertise but I have been in Business Casual for many years and only on SF for one year. I've learned more in that one year.

BB shirts are not a bad choice. They are not exceptional by any means but fine. I wear some for business casual.

hmmm interesting. what slacks can you recommend?

much thanks

SJC

Reaction score
i wish i could delete the comment above ^^^ darn spammer
boxing[1].gif

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SJC
hmmm interesting. what slacks can you recommend?

much thanks

I wear Tilford/Samuelsohn mostly but there are lots of choices out there. Stick with wool or other natural materials. If wool, my preference is lined to the knee. I haven't really tried BB slacks to be honest.

LanceW

Reaction score
On the counter side feel free to wear your suits while you transition into a more casual wardrobe. I doubt anyone will mention something if you wear a suit to work on your first day and leave the jacket on the back of your chair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads