• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ that one on the left, 3 guys with piggyback, good picture. dont think i've seen that one before

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ Albion: Interesting pictures.

Just a note to anyone who finds pics like this. Lots of them would go really well in the book, but we can't use them unless we make an effort to find out who owns the copyright. The best place to start is with whoever posted them to the image-sharing site(s). Is there some kind of PM system that can be used to ask them?

albion

Reaction score
Hi M-O-M....I found the above pics on a Tumblr blog. I have a Tumblr blog myself, so i'll try
to contact the person who posted the pics and see if they know anything about their copyright.
To be honest, i doubt they do know anything, as their blog seemed to pull in pics from all over the
net, will nilly. But i'll ask anyway.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by albion
Hi M-O-M....I found the above pics on a Tumblr blog. I have a Tumblr blog myself, so i'll try
to contact the person who posted the pics and see if they know anything about their copyright.
To be honest, i doubt they do know anything, as their blog seemed to pull in pics from all over the
net, will nilly. But i'll ask anyway.

Thanks. This is the trouble with images on the net - people use them willy nilly as you say. If we're doing a book, though, anything we use has to be done 100% properly or we end up getting sued.

raging_rapid

Reaction score
here's another few.
The one on the right, was taken in Easter April 1969, in London (not sure where though). I had found this image previously, on Flickr btw. Who owns the original, is hard to tell because lots of skins have shared these across the interwebs and its gone viral.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
If you read what i have said, many would not venture to far from NW6,NW2. NW11. The Kilburn would go to the, Ceasers, also named The Country Club, Belsize pk, The Cavalier, Golders Green, The Phonograph, also Golders Green, Prince of Wales Kingsbury, Birds Nest West Hampstead, If you was not known in the above you would be in trouble, this was 69, By 70/71, Half the Kilburn was in Nick or just got fed up and walked away, So these places would now became safer

I also said because i worked in the Building Trade, I would met Skinheads from all over London, Because of this i got to most clubs in London,
As follows
The Boat House, Kew Bridge,
The Bull Richmond,
The Castle Richmond,
Top Rank Watford,
Room at the Top, Ilford
Tottenham Royal,
Lyseam, Strand,
Surrey Rooms Oval,

Hospital Tavern Whitechapel,
Black Bear Stepney,
Bricklayers Stepney,
Old and New Globe Mile End Road,
Lion and Keys Stratford,

Charlie Chaplin Elephant Castle,
Pinnapple Walworth Road,
The Royal Oak Bermondsey,
Dun Cow Old Kent Road,
Frog and Nightgown, Old Kent Road,
Wellington Old Kent Road,
Fox on the Hill Eltham.

As you can see thats North, South, East and West, London, I was never scared to venture away from NW London,

The great thing about working on the Building Sites, You met Skinheads away from the Gangs and Football, Working Eight hours a Day you got to know Lads better than your own mates from your Area,

We started to form little Gangs from work, because we came from all over London, We would invite them to our area, and they to ours, from this you met more people, It could come in handy... for example you could be in a club, someone may come over looking for trouble, You could often talk your way out of it by name dropping,

I am not being funny Kingstonian, You said you came from a semi Professional Family, By you saying that,.. you would have walked in different circles from me.
Everyone I every met as a Teenager came from Manual Labour, Or Skilled Tradesmen, Working Class, We was simple people, and maybe ignorant, The first book i every read complete was at the age of 21.

Lasttye,we would have met so many times,at the Clubs you name,as I went to a helluva lot of them myself.
Going back to the "Aggro" side of things.I have spoken about this before-but with us older ones-there were also times when we went "deeper" than the ordinary "Skinhead" Aggro.Lets just say ,more a "Professional"approach.After `71 I did not get involved in Football violence(`68/`70 I did),because to us it got stupid,also we moved out of Dancehall violence as well.One of my Mates got done for burning down a Shop and another got done for Attempted Murder-that is the type of Aggro I am talking about.The Fashion side was great,the rest I thought"this is not Fashion,this is a Profession".

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Roy I didn't see much of the drugs either S of the Thames, but occasionally I did see one or two blokes who were blocked. It was heard of, but not as much as in the earlier mod era. I knew where to get them if I wanted them, put it that way. It wasn't my thing, though.
Another Mate got done for "Supplying".3 years for that-silly bleeder!

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
Another Mate got done for "Supplying".3 years for that-silly bleeder!
You are on Little Queenie,as for the rest of you-can you form an orderly Queue,please!
smile.gif

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you are stood in the airport bookshop waiting for your flight and you notice all these 'hooligan' books. So many teams represented - even the likes of Bristol City and Portsmouth.

Many of the books feature the same 'Top Lads'. Every team has tales of 'running' their rivals and taking the home end. You never see a book where their 'firm' is the whipping boy - ''Teams used to come from all over England to kick our heads in''. Occasionally there is an account of a defeat but there are always mitigating circumstances.

One thing I do agree about. Outside London none of it mattered. Style-wise they might as well have lived on a different planet.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kingstonian
One thing I do agree about. Outside London none of it mattered. Style-wise they might as well have lived on a different planet.
Spot on mate. When we travelled outside London we knew we looked the part, and the thing is they knew also, they could not compete with us for Style, Regarding football firms well i came unstuck many a time outside London away with Chelsea. Everton, Stoke, to name a couple. Back then you had Supporters that was home supporters, and then you had supporters that went to the Manchesters, Liverpools etc. Hairy i must say.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a few more pics of what i believe are early skinheads/hard mods. Not sure if they have been posted before, but they are interesting none the less.
I just cant believe seeing this pic, Its put a lump in my throat, These are Kilburn Chelsea Supporters, Back row First left, My mate Pat Riordan, Back row Right One of my best mate's Gerry Farrall, RIP Stabbed to death in a Kilburn pub aged 56 Two Years ago. Gerry was one of the true legends down Chelsea, For a small lad he had more balls than most of them, That also later cost him he's Life. I recognise all the of others but not the name's at the mo, Iam still taken aback.
tumblr_lidb1ou8gz1qzimkuo1_500.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads