• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
I find it interesting that no one has yet to post a suit from MJB.

If you want to see an MJB suit on a living model, Matt Preston wears one on MasterChef just about every night. Sure he's a little flamboyant, but IMO the fit of his jackets and trousers is very good. This is especially the case considering IRL he is one huge MoFo.

bhall41

Reaction score
Hi Digger, my first thought was what on earth are you doing in those suits???

If you are just doing a regular office work I am a bit at a loss to explain why you are wearing out your trousers so quickly. It might be something to do with the material. Are the suits 100% wool or a wool-synthetic blend?

The brands you mentioned are not popular here. Invariably such suits are fused, boxy in shape and not particuarly well constructed. Sorry!

It may be better in the longer term to consider a quality off the rack suit. Some options - Herringbone, MJ Bale, Ralph Lauren Black Label, and Caruso from Harrolds (when on sale).

HTH

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AriGold
This is very true, at RRP, there's no reason not to go with PJ as the value he is offering is unbeatable. However, HB and MJBale are easily had at $500 a suit - it appears that Van Laack have alot more lax discounting, and thus I would never pay full retail anymore. So it really becomes a comparison between a $1400 M2M or $5-600 OTR which both represent superior value over any of sydney's other offerings.

With regards to the fit of MJB, it does appear a bit boxier than the older HB osaka cut.

+1. I think both HB and MJB on sale offer very good value at $500-750. Also, while MTM is a great option and has the potential to produce great results, it is also frought with dangers when iGents start telling tailors how to do their job. Just look at the WAYWRN pages to see some classic "bespoke" and MTM disasters. OTR has it's compromises, but it also offers convenience over MTM, just as MTM offers an expedited and cheaper process vs true bespoke.

On the MiJ issue - I agree with PG it's totally irrelevant. Fit is far more important and results will vary depending on your body type, so people need to get out there and try the stuff on before they can make a decision about which cuts suit them best.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Digger,

They're not great quality products, but I don't reckon higher quality is going to increase the durability stakes. Maybe it would help with shine - cheaper suits shine up pretty quickly.

You've already spotted the need to get two trousers.

My guess is you are a bit on the chunky side and you may also not have enough suits. Don't wear a suit (or at least a pair of trousers) more than once a week. It will extend their life span quite a bit if you can do this, because the fabric gets a chance to rest between wearings.

Good luck.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
D'Urban suits @ 30% off a good deal? Looking at the DJs flier at the moment.
- makes no difference if it doesn't fit
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
If you want to see an MJB suit on a living model, Matt Preston wears one on MasterChef just about every night. Sure he's a little flamboyant, but IMO the fit of his jackets and trousers is very good. This is especially the case considering IRL he is one huge MoFo.
- I've seen him IRL & he looks like CRAP - IMO he is too BIG for MJB - I actually thought he may have been dressed by some comic genius from the planet Zinc..

Doug11

Reaction score
thanks HTH and Salavaggo, you are both spot on the money.

I consider myself well built rather than chunky, but I get your point.

You are both correct - I walk 3kms every lunchtime to keep the heart working and I also wear the suits fairly serially i.e. wear one until it has nearly had it, then buy another one and wear 2 for a while until old one looks like rubbish etc.

I agree that I have not been buying much quality (nor much style) but am willing to learn.

I think I am getting it with shoes - as I have upgraded from my Florsheim Comfortech's to three pairs of lovely English made shoes (Cheaney, Church's and my favourite new ones are Crockett and Jones).
I don't find the English shoes terribly comfortable - but they do look good.

thanks again

Digger

also, I think they are the suits are 100% wool - the one I bought form the city suit shop says Super 100 on it.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doug11
I also wear the suits fairly serially i.e. wear one until it has nearly had it, then buy another one and wear 2 for a while until old one looks like rubbish etc.

That, I suggest, is the main issue - you need to rotate your suits. Ideally don't wear the same suit more than once per week. Before I knew better I used to do the same thing with shoes!

Good to see you are learning and buying great shoes - good on you!

HTH = hope that helps
smile.gif

HTH
Ben

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley

I think Gary is a slightly better example. I like the shoulders and lapel design but something is off with the chest.

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
Any of you guys looking for dub monks? = new 10.5DUSA. I have a pair of BBs/AS and a pair of black Magnannis soon. Just an interest check for now.

Don't tempt me. But it would depend on colour, price etc.

porschemad911

Reaction score
Anyone else in Sydney for CeBIT conference at the moment? Interesting so far ...

Edit: and if so, be sure to visit Redoak, best beer anywhere by far ... a must-visit for me every time I come here.

labravajazz

Reaction score
I put the blazer on ebay and just letting you know as this blazer is the REAL THING JH Cutler Bespoke and you won't find better anywhere IMHO. The measurements and photos are there so if it fits you can get a bargain for a big timers garment....
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stunning-...#ht_996wt_1025 MINT
Originally Posted by jaypee
Throw some photos up.

I'm going to grab a PJ suit later this year, as soon as i thin out my other suits.

Not much point have 11 suits when I work in advertising and my uniform is jeans and a tee
blush.gif

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doug11
Hi,'
I hope this isn't like asking on a Ferrari Forum "Can I buy a reliable model?" but I totally wear out (as in destroy) about 4 suits every year and would like to get something a bit more durable before the bank forceloses on my Credit Cards.

I buy reasonably cheap - middle range suits (Fletcher Jones Purple label 100% wool, Anthony Squires,A suit from one of those suit shops in the city for $499 and a Studio Italiano for DJ's)- but will spend more if there is value in it.

All 4 wore out the pants in less than 18 months - either shiny ass or crotch worn through or just look like crasp.
I will go for the 2 trouser suits next - but would like advice on hard wearing.

thanks
Digger

Do you dryclean your suits a lot?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- I've seen him IRL & he looks like CRAP
- IMO he is too BIG for MJB
- I actually thought he may have been dressed by some comic genius from the planet Zinc..

You should tell him he looks like "crap" nex time you see him. At about 6'5" and almost as wide, I heard he made a fearsome loose head in his day and isn't shy for a bit of knuckle.

FWIW, I think 90% of the posters on WAYWRN look like Batman villains; Preston wouldn't rate a second glance in that company. He does overdo the cravate though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads