• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

fir3fox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
shawn marion has the possibly the ugliest but most accurate free throw form in the nba

All his shots are really awkward looking, but he's been able to make a career out of it.

Mavs bench abandoned them tonight.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why the **** would you hire Kevin McHale to coach your team? Because you were so impressed with the job he did in Minnesota? Because he's tall? Because you're a ******* imbecile?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^and dirk only scored 20 some points. and everybody missed their 3 pointers except stevenson

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
My analysis is that the Mavs can't win if Dirk is the only one that performs. The Mavs need Dirk Plus. On any given night it can be about anyone. In game 4 against LA it was Terry. In game 4 against OKC it was Marion. Dirk has to be awesome and then between Marion, Jet, Barea, Kidd and Peja, someone else also has to be awesome. If they can get a double dose of awesome each night, then they can beat Miami. Otherwise, I don't know if they can.

Dirk + 0 = Mavs Loss.

Mavs need someone to step up. No one did tonight. That won't happen for four games in a row, but it needs to start happening every night for Dallas to win the series.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Mavs in 5. If it goes beyond 5 games, Heat in 7.

Go Mavs!!!

Homer!

Originally Posted by indesertum
wow. 30k

miami's doing a really good job at defense. i might have to change my bet to mavs in 7

shawn marion has the possibly the ugliest but most accurate free throw form ever in the nba

FTFY

Originally Posted by Rambo
Why the **** would you hire Kevin McHale to coach your team? Because you were so impressed with the job he did in Minnesota? Because he's tall? Because you're a ******* imbecile?

Maybe McHale can make a secret deal whereby the Rockets can circumvent the salary cap. Do you think Joe Smith is still available?

Kevin McHale is the NBA version of the NFL's Matt Millen, an absolute disaster in the front office (and probably as a coach).

Airfare

Reaction score
as many people think heat will win this i still believe mavs could have win with just dirk taking arc shots. i mean who can guard dirk with shooting threes? He just needs to relax and put the series into his hands if not then that will be just the mavs season's story........

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I don't agree. Dirk shooting from outside and being passive offensively is why they lost to the Heat in '06. It's also why I laugh at everyone who complains about the free throw disparity in that series. Wade just took it to the hole every possession (and when he didn't, Shaq did) and usually got a high percentage shot or a call. Dirk, who was (and still is) the only Mav who could get the "superstar whistle," hung around passively on the perimeter and made it easier for the Heat to take him out of the game

2011 Dirk killed the Lakers and The Thunder by being aggressive, getting fouled, and mixing it up. If he stops doing that we can just fit Lebron for his ring right now

Brogued

Reaction score
[/quote]

Maybe McHale can make a secret deal whereby the Rockets can circumvent the salary cap. Do you think Joe Smith is still available?

Kevin McHale is the NBA version of the NFL's Matt Millen, an absolute disaster in the front office (and probably as a coach).[/quote]

Maybe he can figure out a way to trade the Rocket's best players away to the Celtics for nothing in return. Genius.

Raf Simmons

Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Homer!

Yes. So?

I started to explain my reasoning (which involved principally the 2-3-2 format of the finals) but decided not to.

Originally Posted by Airfare
as many people think heat will win this i still believe mavs could have win with just dirk taking arc shots. i mean who can guard dirk with shooting threes? He just needs to relax and put the series into his hands if not then that will be just the mavs season's story........

No. I'm a Mavs homer (see above) and even I know this isn't true. If the Mavs try to win this series 24 feet away from the basket they will lose in 4.

Originally Posted by HRoi
^ I don't agree. Dirk shooting from outside and being passive offensively is why they lost to the Heat in '06. It's also why I laugh at everyone who complains about the free throw disparity in that series. Wade just took it to the hole every possession (and when he didn't, Shaq did) and usually got a high percentage shot or a call. Dirk, who was (and still is) the only Mav who could get the "superstar whistle," hung around passively on the perimeter and made it easier for the Heat to take him out of the game

2011 Dirk killed the Lakers and The Thunder by being aggressive, getting fouled, and mixing it up. If he stops doing that we can just fit Lebron for his ring right now

Exactly. The Mavs can only win if they attack the basket and play good defense. That said, last night a lot of their misses were from point blank range. Those have to start going in. Dallas played D well enough to win last night, but they won't win by shooting 40% from the paint (or whatever it was).

Everyone focuses on the Mavs 3 point shooting and that's fine, but that only works to a certain degree. It is there to open up the middle. Last night the middle was somewhat available, but the Mavs weren't hitting the shots from inside.

On a better night, without those shots going down, the Mavs (and Dirk) would have put their heads down and gone inside and gotten to the foul line. That didn't happen much last night. Also no one besides Dirk stepped up.

Also with the Mavs size advantage, if they continue to get outrebounded they'll lose and lose big.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
granted the mavs need to be able to attack the basket, but that's easier said than done. i think they need to find someone to hit jumpers (other than nowitzki) or miami is going settle back in the paint and never come out. i'm still undecided whether the mavs had a bad shooting night, or whether they'd been riding a series of good shooting nights.
i did think it was a really well-played defensive game, though. those guys were really working it.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
granted the mavs need to be able to attack the basket, but that's easier said than done. i think they need to find someone to hit jumpers (other than nowitzki) or miami is going settle back in the paint and never come out. i'm still undecided whether the mavs had a bad shooting night, or whether they'd been riding a series of good shooting nights.
i did think it was a really well-played defensive game, though. those guys were really working it.

I basically agree with this. It's not the either/or that some people portray with the Mavs, it's both/and. The key to the Mavs offense is its balance. For the inside game to work, the shooting has to be there to free up the middle. For the shots to be open, they have to penetrate and make their inside game a threat. Their strength is their balance. You don't know who is going to hurt you (other than Dirk) and you don't always know whether the threat is coming from Peja in the corner or Barea slashing to the basket. Dirk can hurt you either place.

Having watched nearly every Mavs game this year, I can tell you that there have been lots of nights like last night where the shots weren't falling. The games they lost are the ones where they stayed outside and kept clanking the rim. The games they won are the ones where they went inside and either scored or got to the line, which often opened up the perimeter. Last night was different in the sense that they were attacking, but the shots in the paint weren't falling and they weren't getting foul calls that got them to the line.

My concern so far has been that lots of fouls so far (on both sides) aren't getting called. This takes away a bit of the Mavs threat because Dirk isn't so certain that if he crashes to the basket he's going to get the call. To be clear, I'm not complaining about the refs. So far, they seem to be calling it the same both ways. Just saying that this style of play doesn't help the Mavs.

EDIT: Oh and I believe if you look it up, their shooting percentage in the playoffs is about the same as during the regular season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads